Master Points?

omnicr...@hotmail.com

Oct 9, 2007, 2:14:40 PM10/9/07
to New Age of the Masters
I've had the idea of implementing a system of something similar to
action points or hero points. You could spend one, for example, to re-
roll a failed hit or active defense. I figure another use could be to
pull out "power stunts". For example, if Roger wanted to get a
distance attack, he could spend a "Master Point" to temporarily take
off the "melee range" on his Innate attack, turning it into a ranged
power. He'd still have only one shot, and he'd have to pick it up
afterward, but like the super cool martial artist he is, he'd get to
hurl that sucker at some unsuspecting shulb.

I still have to see how this would work in game, so as not to
unbalance things. I figure everyone would get one to start, and get
one if they do something suitably heroic.

What does everybody think?

reva...@gmail.com

Oct 9, 2007, 2:47:40 PM10/9/07
to New Age of the Masters
Personally, I like the idea. I'm actually leaning toward playing the
second character after tweaking it, and that seems right up his ally

Dynamo Dave

Oct 9, 2007, 2:55:35 PM10/9/07
to New Age of the Masters
The Extra Effort rules expansion in GURPS Powers provides a mechanic
for adding enhancements or removing limitations for a single
application of your power. There is also a good section on Power
Stunts that should be relevant.

I believe spending points to save one's ass is covered at least
somewhat in the Cinematic rules in Basic, but I'd have to look to be
certain (I'm not hauling my books today).

omnicr...@hotmail.com

Oct 9, 2007, 3:01:06 PM10/9/07
to New Age of the Masters
Sounds like my idea has already been presented in writing. I'll check
that out today and get back to you.