Simcoe Plot - Bring your own

fallen_sputnik

Jun 13, 2010, 11:10:28 AM6/13/10
to New Westminster Community Gardens
Hello everyone,

The question has been brought up as to how individuals might go about
to bring their own compost/ manure. We will allow anyone requesting
this to do so as long as they bring in 'certified organic' amendments.
We would perfer to supply amendments to ensure quality but since it
will be a few weeks until we can get a new delivery we can let
individuals attain their own if they take certain precautions.

As there is a lot of problem with tainted compost, medicated manures
and soils amended with bio-solids (composted sewage) on the market, we
want to make sure everyone is able to make healthy choices. Certified
organic or preferably OMRI certified is a way to ensure that your
amendments are the safest for everyone. One product I personally
recommend is Sea Soil which meets all those requirements. If you would
like to bring in your own amendments just let Tim or myself know and
we can offer some assistance.

Also while on the topic of 'bring your own' we've noticed that some
people have opted to frame their beds with wood. This is great (I
thought it was cool and practical so i copied it myself ) There are
currently no stipulations as to limiting this sort of construction and
I'm (personally) pretty happy to let individual gardeners personalize
their beds as they see fit; as long as your constructions do not
impose on your gardening neighbors. If anyone has any comments or
thoughts about this, please contact me. I'm always open to your
input.

-R