Conversations on Aging: Resistance and Denial

rhoad...@rcn.com

Jun 7, 2010, 1:18:08 PM6/7/10
to New Pathways For Aging Blog
As one of the editors of New Pathways for Aging, I have made alone and
with others several presentations to groups of older people and to
directors of Life-Long Learning Institutes across the country. We
have found that there is a widespread resistance to talking about
issues regarding aging, the older adult, and mortality. We know that
these are difficult subjects but believe that talking about them with
others and writing and sharing helps reduce the resistance and
clarifies the issues. Conversations about these topics add to life
satisfaction and meaning.
My questions is: How can we individually and collectively reduce this
resistance? Any ideas? I would love to hear from you. Rhoada Wald