Update for Council Members from National RC&D Office

John Guszkowski

Mar 12, 2009, 2:54:59 PM3/12/09
to new-eng...@googlegroups.com

Legislative Update

Thank you for all the copies of letters you are sending to NARCDC via fax, email and hard copy we will reinforce your messages with Congress. If you haven't already done so please contact your Member of Congress and ask them to support the RC&D program in the FY10 appropriations process. Our legislative alert is on our webpage along with a sample letter. March is the critical month for us to get our messages across so please help out as soon as you can. Also very important - please be sure to contact your Members of Congress only, which is your two Senators and your Representative. If you need help figuring out who your Representative is contact us or use this link http://www.house.gov/ At the top of this webpage you can put in your zip code. When you put in the info - it brings up the information on your Member of Congress.

If you don't have time to write a letter - please make a phone call. Be sure to give your name and address and ask for a response in writing. Share your response with us, as we are tracking who is supportive of RC&D.

A Dear Colleague is circulating in the U.S. House of Representatives in support of $56 million for RC&D. A Dear Colleague letter is signed by Members of Congress and sent to the appropriations committee to ask for their support of a program and a funding level. Congressman Tim Holden (D-PA) Chair of the Conservation Subcommittee of the House Committee on Agriculture, and Bob Goodlatte (R-VA), Ranking Member of the Conservation Subcommittee are circulating the letter. The deadline for signatures is March 27. Encourage your Member of Congress to sign this letter. NARCDC is also working on a Dear Colleague letter for the Senate.

Feedback to the President on his budget proposal for RC&D If you would like to express your concern about the Presidents budget proposal for RC&D, go to this link: http://www.whitehouse.gov/administration/eop/opl/ You can e-mail your concerns to the President. Please also be sure to express the importance of the federal investment in RC&D and what your council has been able to do to serve your community as a result of the investment in RC&D. This will help us build the case for RC&D funding in the FY11 Presidents budget.

NARC&DC calendar- March/April 09

NARCDC Committee Teleconferences - March 16 and 17, 2009 March 28, NARCDC Training on Circle of Diamonds at New England Spring meeting - March 28, Portland ME April 29, Virginia State Association Meeting, NARCDC Training on Sustainability

National Conference Update

Success story selections will be notified this week. Please register for national conference - forms can be found on our website by clicking on the national conference information on the right side of our homepage at www.rcdnet.org Hotel blocks are available through May 12 but filling up fast. Be sure to register in the room block to get discounted registration rates.

NARCDC publications

Your National Association is set to distribute information on the new Farm Bill, Energy Opportunities for Councils, programs and funding sources surrounding the issue of social equity, a Fuels Value calculator and the Premier level of the Circle of Diamonds. Watch for your monthly mailing packet from NARCDC.

Federal Grant Opportunities

Conservation Innovation Grants Program

The application deadline for the Conservation Innovation Grants (CIG) program has been extended to March 20, 2009. There are four CIG categories available in FY 2009: Natural Resource Concerns, Technology, Chesapeake Bay Watershed, and Grant Leveraging. More information is also available on the web at http://www.nrcs.usda.gov/programs/cig/index.html

Smart Growth Implementation Assistance 2009 Request for Applications The Development, Community, and Environment Division in EPA's Office of Policy, Economics, and Innovation is seeking applications for technical assistance from communities that want to incorporate smart growth in their future development to meet environmental and other community goals. Eligible entities are tribal, local, regional, and state governments, and nonprofit organizations that have a demonstrated partnership with a governmental entity. Applications are due at 5:00 pm EST, April 23, 2009. For more information and application materials, visit http://epa.gov/smartgrowth/2009_sgia_rfa.htm .

Hope this information is helpful to you. Please let us know whenever we can be of assistance.

John P. Guszkowski, AICP, LEED-AP

Senior Planner

CME Associates, Inc.

32 Crabtree Lane, PO Box 849