Re: Service Line Warranties of Canada

Gosse Bruinsma

Mar 18, 2021, 7:27:25 PM3/18/21
to RideauRockcliffe Ward, Kay Francis, Eileen Olexiuk, Jan Goth, Linda Bryant, Paul McConnell, Susan Rodocanachi, catherine dickson, karen, Santiago Reyes, Talk New Edinburgh, New Edinburgh News
Much more to the point is not only does the City receive a 5% royalty but it is also paid a fee that allows SLWC to use the City’s logo on its letterhead and on its envelopes. This is clearly misleading if not outright fraudulent. This whole thing smacks of misguided opportunism and a prostitution of the City’s name and logo that will undoubtedly dupe many city tax payers.
Your attention to whether or not the city provided names and addresses is irrelevant and a red herring as the mail we received was directed to “The homeowner”.
You appear to be missing the point entirely. SLWC is offering a service in a manner which is clearly misleading; a service which is likely unnecessary and unneeded but worded in a way that conveys the opposite using City of Ottawa logo etc.
Councilor, it would behoove you to respond to this issue personally.

Gosse Bruinsma

On Mar 18, 2021, at 7:06 PM, Santiago Reyes <srb...@gmail.com> wrote:

Fully concur with your views and questions, Kay.
Precisely question 3 in my original message that remains unanswered.

Anjali,

Receiving a proposal by a private company in an official City of Ottawa envelope raises a valid concern. Is this a normal practice?  Can any other company enter into an agreement with the City and start sending their marketing material and contract templates  in City of Ottawa envelipes?

I think SWL can use its own stationery/envelope(s) or at the very least one that doesn’t suggest the content cones from the City of Ottawa.

The good news is that one can optout from receiving any further communications from the Canadian subsidiary of an American company.

Kind regards

Santiago

On Thu, Mar 18, 2021 at 17:58 Kay Francis <kayfr...@francisplumbing.com> wrote:

Hi Anjali,

Thank you for your response but I do have concerns about the competitive nature of the insurance industry. By the city endorsing just one company they are creating a monopoly for this one business.  Shouldn’t any business that meets the City’s standards also be able to advertise using the City of Ottawa endorsement?  For example many local plumbing companies offer protective plumbing plans very similar to what is being offered by SLWC – why is the City of Ottawa endorsing 1 company to compete against actual local businesses (SLWC is NOT a local business)?

In addition – the information SLWC provided is misleading. It does not inform the homeowner to check their existing homeowner insurance policy FIRST (since many of these policies cover Sewer and water lines from the city line to the property). So homeowner in a panic are buying these protection plans when they already have it covered with their existing insurance policies.

This also doesn’t bode well for our senior population who are prone to believe the marketing materials they get to buy things on the “recommendation” of the City of Ottawa.

What recourse do these seniors have who bought this plan based on the City of Ottawa’s recommendation when they didn’t need the policy?

Would you mind addressing these additional questions please.

Sincerely,

Kay Francis

Mar 18, 2021, 10:02:46 PM3/18/21
to rideaurock...@ottawa.ca, kayfr...@francisplumbing.com, ole...@gmail.com, jgo...@gmail.com, lindab...@sympatico.ca, pau...@magma.ca, susanrod...@gmail.com, dickson....@googlemail.com, ka...@marcommetrics.com, srb...@gmail.com, new-e...@googlegroups.com, NewE...@hotmail.com, go...@bruinsma.eu.com
Hello Councillor King and Anjali,

I have a few questions stimulated by concerns voiced by residents of our community in your riding about the Service Line scheme using the City's good (but increasingly tarnished) name to promote this 'program'.

Councillor King:

1.  Can you assure us that you and your Councillor colleagues were given all appropriate background information about this program from the Mayor and senior staff before you voted on it?  Or, did you vote on it?

2.  Did City staff solicit/receive multiple proposals for review and recommend this particular program to Council?

3.  Were any proposals from Canadian companies for the provision of similar insurance invited or considered by the City?

4.  Or, was it a sole-source award to the US entity?

5.  Have you personally read and considered the communications addressed to you from your constituents about this program?

6. Is your staff feeding back to your constituents pre-digested email communications and other copy prepared by the City solicitors and Service Line Warranties?

Looking forward to your response.

Best,

Joe Chouinard
72 Dufferin Road

Joe Chouinard

Mar 20, 2021, 3:39:30 PM3/20/21
to rideaurock...@ottawa.ca, kayfr...@francisplumbing.com, ole...@gmail.com, jgo...@gmail.com, lindab...@sympatico.ca, pau...@magma.ca, susanrod...@gmail.com, dickson....@googlemail.com, ka...@marcommetrics.com, srb...@gmail.com, new-e...@googlegroups.com, newe...@hotmail.com, go...@bruinsma.eu.com
Thank you Councillor King for your prompt response to our concerns.  Much appreciated.

If the agreement with Service Line was approved by Council in 2016 (with little fanfare/communications with taxpayers), and implementation was delegated to City staff 5 years ago, but only rolled out now, you may want to enquire further about the efficiency of your City staff in implementing Council's decisions.

Best,
Joe Chouinard

Joe: Since this agreement was approved by Council in 2016, and I was elected in 2019, I had no opportunity to provide input or comment or vote on this partnership. While I was not involved in this decision at Council, if I such a proposal had been before me for a vote, I would have rejected it.

Council gave City staff delegated authority in 2016 to partner with Service Line Warranties of Canada (SLWC) to offer Ottawa homeowners protection plans to help cover repair costs associated with their water and sewer/septic service lines. It took five years before the program was implemented by City staff. I sit on Environment Committee and will make inquires at the next meeting, to be held on March 30, as to whether multiple proposals were entertained and why it took so long to implement the program.  I will also inquire as to why a technical briefing was not undertaken by City staff to help inform the public through the media about the imminent roll-out of the program.

I have talked with Council colleagues about this issue and its has been raised with the Mayor.  I understand the next subsequent mailer to residents has been cancelled. I share your concerns about the use of the City of Ottawa wordmark being used to introduce an external service and that the solicitation has the appearance of a bill and will also raise these questions at Committee.

Kay: SLWC’s cancellation policy notes that a homeowner who accepts coverage can cancel within 30 days of the start of their policy for a full refund.  Cancellations after the first 30 days will be effective at the end of the then-current billing month, and the homeowner will be entitled to a pro-rated refund, less any claims paid.  Homeowners can also cancel the coverage if they find their utility provides similar coverage at no charge.

In terms of correspondence, I do try to read every piece of electronic mail that we receive, but since my office receives hundreds of inquiries collectively on a daily basis, my office staff is tasked to respond and will consult with City staff to be accurate in their responses.

Regards,

Rawlson King
Conseiller, Quartier 13, Rideau-Rockcliffe
Councillor, Ward 13, Rideau-Rockcliffe
110 Laurier Avenue West | 110 avenue Laurier ouest