February Books

Lindsay Ditto

Mar 2, 2024, 9:39:44 AMMar 2
to Never Too Old (A YA Book Club for Adults)
Hi!

It was great seeing everyone this week.   As promised, here is the list of recommended books.
  • Vera Wong's Unsolicited Advice for Murderers, Jesse Q. Sutanto, Adult fiction, a "delightful" "cozy mystery."
  • Convenience Store Woman, Sayaka Murata, translated from Japanese, Quirky woman and fun read.
  • Throne of Glass, Sarah Maas, highly recommended if you love YA fantasy. Especially interesting if you like Sarah Maas's other series since the worlds begin to overlap.
  • Powerless, Lauren Roberts, first of a duology, similar to Hunger Games but with a very different feel with more community and romance.
  • In The Wild Light, Jeff Zentner, YA story about acceptance and grief. Beautifully written and "for those who love poetry and also want a story."
  • Demon Copperhead, Barbara Kingsolver, Adult fiction, Pulitzer Prize winner, retelling of David Copperfield.  Highly recommended by many.
  • The Mulberry Tree, Jude Deveraux, picked it up at the holiday gift exchange and highly recommend.
  • Legendborn, Tracy Deonn, "Truly beautiful, black urban fantasy, eye opening."
  • Caraval, Stephanie Garber, first of three in series, high recommended for its "nice velvety sentences."
  • You're Not Supposed to Die Tonight, Kalynn Bayron, YA slasher that starts off strong and then the plot fails to develop.
  • The Ministry for the Future, Kim Stanley Robinson, unique storytelling structure and enlightening about science, finance and global warming.
  • Before the Coffee Gets Cold, Toshikazo Kawaguchi, Adult fiction translated from Japanese, four separate touching stories about traveling back in time before the coffee gets cold.
  • We Were Liars, E. Lockhart, highly recommended mystery with a big plot twist.
  • Don't Want You Like a Best Friend, Emma Alban, described as a "lesbian Bridgerton meets Parent Trap."
  • Beauty Queens, Libba Bray, a "favorite book" Barbie meets Lord of the Rings.

Katie DiPaula

Mar 2, 2024, 10:11:21 AMMar 2
to Lindsay Ditto, Never Too Old (A YA Book Club for Adults)
Thanks for the recap Lindsay!

Diane Telgen

Mar 2, 2024, 10:53:43 AMMar 2
to Katie DiPaula, Lindsay Ditto, Never Too Old (A YA Book Club for Adults)
Thanks for the recap! I’ll just point out that BEAUTY QUEENS is BARBIE meets LORD OF THE FLIES, not LOTR. although I would read the hell out of a Barbie/lord of the rings mashup.

Diane
Sent from my iPhone

Lindsay Ditto

Mar 2, 2024, 11:10:02 AMMar 2
to Diane Telgen, Katie DiPaula, Never Too Old (A YA Book Club for Adults)
Ha!!!

They’ve been watching Lord of the Rings in my house, so it’s on my mind.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Never Too Old (A YA Book Club for Adults)" group.