Recap of February and Welcome New Members!

Danielle Driscoll Rutkowski

Feb 24, 2023, 9:00:52 AM2/24/23
to Never Too Old (A YA Book Club for Adults), leilanij...@gmail.com
Hi Everyone,

We know a lot of people were out of town or feeling under the weather after this first Chicago false spring weekend.  If you would like to share what you read to the group, feel free to reply all.

Our check in question was, "What book do you know you will never read?"  There were a lot of boring answers to that question, but basically everyone is shying away from some James Joyce and War and Peace.

Here's a recap of what people did indeed read.  Open up your library app b/c you are definitely going to want to put some of these on hold!
  • Lindsey- Knife of Never Letting Go (NTO pick Nov. 2010); In the Wild Light, and Booked by Kwame Alexander which she said is an amazing book to read in verse aloud, as well as Clap When you Land
  • Danielle (Danny)-   Howl's Moving Castle- also an anime movie
  • Leilani (welcome to the group!)- If the Shoe Fits- comfort read- Bachelor meets Cinderella, So this is Ever After- what happens to the hero when it's all said and done (if you like Rainbow Rowell books you will like this one too)
  • Kathy- Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow- a tale of friendship over the course of 30+ years, highly recommended and has over 2,000 holds on it at the library
  • Rachel- Redemptor (no spoilers, follow up to last month's novel Raybearer), Clara & Son- artificial intelligence
  • Karen- Not Without LaughterI by Langston Hughes- boy being raised in a multi-generational women household, Nettle and Bone- T. Kingfisher
  • Danielle- Beartown- what happens to a small town when they place all their hopes and dreams on a junior hockey team?  Told from various perspectives.  If you like Friday Night Lights you should read this book.  If you don't like Friday Night Lights- why are you in this book group?
Have a great day,
Danielle R

Rachel Herman

Feb 25, 2023, 8:18:32 AM2/25/23
to Never Too Old (A YA Book Club for Adults)
The book is called Klara and the Sun.

Dorothy Winsor

Mar 22, 2023, 11:10:17 AM3/22/23
to Never Too Old (A YA Book Club for Adults)
I absolutely loved Beartown. I led a discussion of it in my book club of older adults, and they loved it too.
I have Tomorrow, and Tomorrow, and Tomorrow in my kindle ready to read while I'm traveling for the next few weeks.
The book I liked best that I read last month is Light from Uncommon Stars. It surprised me.