Neurosynth decoding - flipped hemisphere labels, but not data?

Louise Martens

Aug 2, 2019, 11:06:43 AM8/2/19
to neurosynth

Dear all,

I am trying to use the neurosynth decoder online (because I like the color scheme of the viewer..) and using the python package.
I noticed that the output is not identical, probably because in the online viewer, the hemisphere labels are flipped, but
the data is not (so it's not a matter of radiological or neurological orientation).
I've checked the values in my data and they correspond to the lateralization of the maps in Mango and FSLeyes, but
not to what I see in the Neurosynth viewer. What could be going on here?

Many thanks for any suggestions!
Best regards
Louise

Tal Yarkoni

Aug 2, 2019, 12:20:29 PM8/2/19
to neurosy...@googlegroups.com

Hi Louise,

The displayed L/R labels for the online images are definitely correct, as you can see by picking a heavy lateralized term like language:

It's possible that there's something in the image header that's incorrect, but I think it's more likely that you're seeing different values because (if I recall correctly—it's been a while) the images are downsampled for the web. So you will probably see slightly different values rendered online than in the downloaded/generated volume.

If you dig into it further and still have issues, feel free to folow up.

Best,

Tal