las.fm and pandora not working on tablet [was Re: slatedroid mercury firmware]

14 views
Skip to first unread message

Joe Born

unread,
Sep 19, 2010, 4:18:27 PM9/19/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
Cool. BTW, do you have any idea why last.fm and pandora aren't
working? Have you heard this from anyone else? Do these apps work ok
on the eken devices?

They install and you can browse fine, but when it comes to playing,
depending on the version, they either attempt to play for a sec or two
and then ff to the next track or just refuse play altogether with
message about no network connectivity. The issue is the same with the
stock firmware. Someone on the forums mentioned that some apps were
seeing the wifi as appearing to be a cellular network, I don't know if
that has anything to do with it or not, but figured I'd throw it out
there.

On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 2:02 PM, Roger Calver <rogerc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> Its been uploaded but there seems to be a problem with the file, Im
> checking it again my end to test.
>
> On 19/09/2010 19:47, Joe Born wrote:
>>> What has helped is having the wifi at a lower power setting and its
>>> that part where most of the heat this unit produces was coming from.
>>> If the testing goes well we should have a new beta build of Mercury
>>> for the M001 up soon.
>>
>> Yes, I noticed this too, the unit was significantly cooler overall,
>> and particuliarly near the wifi after I flashed your firmware.  Well,
>> please let us know when its up, I'm very eager to try it.
>>
>> Joe
>>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (MingW32)
> Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
>
> iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJMll5EAAoJEP+gNfLntGHRQ/wH/il7qhmbGbQSN99HrsVqPqVY
> 0MShVHLu9fEmtrdZP76W/2P6QFSe72eP7AzEISuM0y+hk4cNdHnQ75P03ANJUavz
> nMQwJ/DLvcSeVVGWJhNR9U3nu3e/rmeS1MX05RfYY8MDPHJ33v+Ki2GBm6oPrFVO
> 35x6ZW95fkuIpTlugoKAmMvLqHIFg0x0IsJSd5n7/Z0L/MvYP585loOTY/5mHJzM
> H5HSYlZLImkYJqLfZa01hWLyKTyKiWg+edeWtwP/XMbY82GUafi3ZnmGw68GUu8G
> Q3KmQQE+DQ1C5/et3vLM0dGe1n5gPyVtZPof5FzXX6o2VgzIO0XUWL3pPM30iP4=
> =8Vk7
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>
> --
> FOR REALTIME DISCUSSION GO TO IRC #neuros on freenode
>
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the "Neuros" group.
> To post to this group, send email to Neu...@googlegroups.com
> To unsubscribe from this group, send email to Neuros-un...@googlegroups.com
> For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Neuros
>

Roger Calver

unread,
Sep 19, 2010, 4:21:14 PM9/19/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

I have uploaded the new ROM again and this one is fine (something went
wrong with the upload).
No idea as to why these apps dont work, it could be due to the way they
work as Android isnt really designed for the tablet form.

On 19/09/2010 21:18, Joe Born wrote:
> Cool. BTW, do you have any idea why last.fm and pandora aren't
> working? Have you heard this from anyone else? Do these apps work ok
> on the eken devices?
>
> They install and you can browse fine, but when it comes to playing,
> depending on the version, they either attempt to play for a sec or two
> and then ff to the next track or just refuse play altogether with
> message about no network connectivity. The issue is the same with the
> stock firmware. Someone on the forums mentioned that some apps were
> seeing the wifi as appearing to be a cellular network, I don't know if
> that has anything to do with it or not, but figured I'd throw it out
> there.
>
> On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 2:02 PM, Roger Calver <rogerc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Its been uploaded but there seems to be a problem with the file, Im
> checking it again my end to test.
>
> On 19/09/2010 19:47, Joe Born wrote:
>>>>> What has helped is having the wifi at a lower power setting and its
>>>>> that part where most of the heat this unit produces was coming from.
>>>>> If the testing goes well we should have a new beta build of Mercury
>>>>> for the M001 up soon.
>>>>
>>>> Yes, I noticed this too, the unit was significantly cooler overall,
>>>> and particuliarly near the wifi after I flashed your firmware. Well,
>>>> please let us know when its up, I'm very eager to try it.
>>>>
>>>> Joe
>>>>
>>

- --


FOR REALTIME DISCUSSION GO TO IRC #neuros on freenode
>>
You received this message because you are subscribed to the "Neuros" group.
To post to this group, send email to Neu...@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
Neuros-un...@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Neuros
>>

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----


Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla - http://enigmail.mozdev.org/

iQEcBAEBAgAGBQJMlnC6AAoJEP+gNfLntGHRr0kIAIXOrPkviS+d1QjCsDE7Kony
qyMc8FLApBtMNLYBYGQ0xR1dLPkNt3Zxec9GvuqsrWWxtEZsa7cMpV59B3PVMUAA
fk/nFZRnfZWNiBxaniQGOfxPgNBNuJeMbqXH4I98yYs3FuA/SLc/5Tjsk7pvsM6p
TuCBi2KxiWKMRKcCBrzm/ByjCbng3FJUle5ux/sZlpFNsoO3l16ZvsmA0WJMtb4S
Uzyv5VVeFvYE7XNwY4Hb23+pSaKeJHznagpi1ds9jruGQEswYRG+wsIatKq/cxu8
WN+TWN4LkH6Ja+ojAaiINbvsDaqqsVA+t/8lGqjjA3XDCcquUrARhNyJRVq6zMs=
=Ub6a
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Joe Born

unread,
Sep 29, 2010, 12:35:44 PM9/29/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
apparently the tablets are not "reporting" network status correctly to
the applications. The last.fm app is providing a workaround,
http://www.last.fm/group/Last.fm+Android/forum/114391/_/639768

but it affects other apps like pandora, anyone have any ideas?

Jeremy Coleman

unread,
Sep 29, 2010, 12:37:14 PM9/29/10
to Neuros
I can't view the link right now, but i will take a look tonight.

On Sep 29, 10:35 am, Joe Born <jb...@neurostechnology.com> wrote:
> apparently the tablets are not "reporting" network status correctly to
> the applications.  The last.fm app is providing a workaround,http://www.last.fm/group/Last.fm+Android/forum/114391/_/639768
>
>  but it affects other apps like pandora, anyone have any ideas?
>
>
>
> On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 3:21 PM, Roger Calver <rogercalv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> > Hash: SHA1
>
> > I have uploaded the new ROM again and this one is fine (something went
> > wrong with the upload).
> > No idea as to why these apps dont work, it could be due to the way they
> > work as Android isnt really designed for the tablet form.
>
> > On 19/09/2010 21:18, Joe Born wrote:
> >> Cool.  BTW, do you have any idea why last.fm and pandora aren't
> >> working?  Have you heard this from anyone else? Do these apps work ok
> >> on the eken devices?
>
> >> They install and you can browse fine, but when it comes to playing,
> >> depending on the version, they either attempt to play for a sec or two
> >> and then ff to the next track or just refuse play altogether with
> >> message about no network connectivity.  The issue is the same with the
> >> stock firmware.  Someone on the forums mentioned that some apps were
> >> seeing the wifi as appearing to be a cellular network, I don't know if
> >> that has anything to do with it or not, but figured I'd throw it out
> >> there.
>
> >> On Sun, Sep 19, 2010 at 2:02 PM, Roger Calver <rogercalv...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Its been uploaded but there seems to be a problem with the file, Im
> >> checking it again my end to test.- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -

Ugo Riboni

unread,
Sep 30, 2010, 12:59:01 PM9/30/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
> apparently the tablets are not "reporting" network status
> correctly to the applications.  The last.fm app is providing a
> workaround,
> http://www.last.fm/group/Last.fm+Android/forum/114391/_/639768
>
> but it affects other apps like pandora, anyone have any
> ideas?

Well, I am very new to Android so I may be saying nonsense.
But if i'm not mistaken we have the source for the java code that
handles network availability notifications [1]

I assume it's possible to debug in there and see what is going on and
why it's not sending out notifications when it should (i.e. when the
device goes online) and perhaps fix what's wrong.

But then again, it may be beyond the scope of what the other folks
have been doing so far. I have been following only from a distance so
far.

Cheers,
--
nero

[1] the class doc is here:
http://developer.android.com/reference/android/net/ConnectivityManager.html

Joe Born

unread,
Oct 5, 2010, 3:10:40 AM10/5/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
> Well, I am very new to Android so I may be saying nonsense.
> But if i'm not mistaken we have the source for the java code that
> handles network availability notifications [1]

http://bugzilla.neurostechnology.com/show_bug.cgi?id=4959

well, if anyone's up for a bounty on this, let me know, I think its
something we need to get fixed and I'd rather put money to someone on
this list than a complete stranger.

Joe

Joe Born

unread,
Oct 16, 2010, 6:17:43 PM10/16/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
Well, I am very new to Android so I may be saying nonsense.
But if i'm not mistaken we have the source for the java code that
handles network availability notifications [1]

Well, I'm certainly more ignorant than you, but where would we find that source?  They must have changed it from the standard android stuff since this is broken and it works elsewhere no?
 
 
I assume it's possible to debug in there and see what is going on and
why it's not sending out notifications when it should (i.e. when the
device goes online) and perhaps fix what's wrong.


how would you suggest going about this?  Anyone that knows Android feel free to chime in.

Jeremy Coleman

unread,
Oct 20, 2010, 2:18:57 PM10/20/10
to Neuros
According to this post on slatedroid lastfm and pandora work on the
1.9.0 firmware.
http://www.slatedroid.com/eken-m001-firmware-development/9020-new-official-firmware-v2-0-a-2.html#post79409

Very interesting. I will try to test it out this week.

bmc

unread,
Oct 20, 2010, 6:48:23 PM10/20/10
to Neuros
Earlier parts of that thread indicate that the M003 version has
pandora "still broken".

The post you're referring to is about the M001 version. Presumably
ver 1.90 of M001, with "older" versions of pandora, work fine.

We won't know until someone with hardware tries to install the
appropriate build (M002?) and version (1.90) onto the Neuros tablet.

Brian

On Oct 20, 11:18 am, Jeremy Coleman <jeremy.d.cole...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> According to this post on slatedroid lastfm and pandora work on the
> 1.9.0 firmware.http://www.slatedroid.com/eken-m001-firmware-development/9020-new-off...

bmc

unread,
Oct 20, 2010, 7:00:35 PM10/20/10
to Neuros

> Well, I'm certainly more ignorant than you, but where would we find that
> source?  They must have changed it from the standard android stuff since
> this is broken and it works elsewhere no?

> how would you suggest going about this? Anyone that knows Android feel free
> to chime in.

You can check out all the android source following instructions on the
android site.

We'd probably want to start with NetworkInfo.java and
NetworkStateTracker.java, in frameworks/base/core/java/android/net/.

While android does do some custom kernel modules, the networking stack
appears linux standard. So this network reporting bug is presumably
either:
a) a bug in detecting connectivity in the net stack
b) a bug in broadcasting initial state and state changes from net
stack to applications that are listening for it.

In either case, some logging in the above two (see method
setDetailedState() ) would point out the problem, and depending on
where things were broken you could hack it to be "always connected" or
fix the underlying problem and have it work as advertised.

If someone with a physical device can try running a "hello world"
android app that just notes network connected status notifications,
and compares the info from these broadcasts to direct queries against
isConnected(), that would narrow down which subsystem is failing.

Joe Born

unread,
Oct 30, 2010, 6:29:53 PM10/30/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com

We won't know until someone with hardware tries to install the
appropriate build (M002?) and version (1.90) onto the Neuros tablet.


I can give this a shot.  Just installed 1.90 on top of 2.00 and download old versions of last.fm until (hopefully) something good happens.

Also, I posted a comment to bugzilla, but now with 2.00 and the latest version of last.fm and pandora, the songs attempt to play for a few seconds and then go to the next one.  As I noted in the bug report its similar to something being reported on the motorola droid: http://www.last.fm/group/Last.fm+Android/forum/114391/_/588033/1

Is it still worth doing the above, or does this new behavior change things?

Joe

Joe Born

unread,
Oct 30, 2010, 11:21:02 PM10/30/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
I downloaded stock 1.9 (for the M002) from slatedroid and installed 1.7 version of last.fm (from the apk from https://www.dropbox.com/s/3lxhkpjcbhbv6tm#rest:3) and last.fm does indeed seem to work fine.   I'm not sure where to go from here, Jeremy did you create a rooted version with android market based off 1.9?  What are the differences between 1.9 and 2.0 that we know of?

Joe

Jeremy Coleman

unread,
Oct 31, 2010, 12:40:42 AM10/31/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
Joe,
I've been working on getting Google Apps working 100% on 2.0 this week with limited amount of luck.  Market has been working, but I don't have data sync in the settings menu.  I am going to try putting my overlay on top of a 1.9 rom tonight to see if the settings show up.  I am expecting that the menu setting will show up, but I won't be able to sync contacts since that is what I have seen in testing both Mercury and Relax which are 1.9.1 based.  The latest firmware I have tested so far which works completely with all of the google apps is 1.7.4.  The difference between 1.9 and 2.0 are primarily in drivers.  I can try to put together a 1.7.4 based rom with some of the more critical drivers from 2.0 (battery and wifi) if you'd like.

Joe Born

unread,
Oct 31, 2010, 12:57:23 AM10/31/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
How can you tell what the differences are?

Have you already created a 1.9 version with android market?  If so, I can test other apps with that if that's of use.  What do you think they broke between 1.9 and 2.0 regarding last.fm?

Joe

Jeremy Coleman

unread,
Oct 31, 2010, 1:16:56 AM10/31/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
I don't have one yet, but it would be trivial for me to throw together.  One thing about going with a 1.9 base is that there is no camera support in any of the 1.9 releases.

Jeremy Coleman

unread,
Oct 31, 2010, 2:39:47 AM10/31/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
In regards to telling the differences, it's partly guessing, but you can get a good idea with driver changes by checking the size of the driver modules for each release.

I just tested my overlay on 1.9.0 and as suspected the synd settings are there, but no contact syncing and also no camera functionality.

bmc- Any idea what portion of an actual android system that gets compiled into?  If you know what files it all compiles into I can just swap the 1.9.0 into 2.0 and see what happens. :)

Joe Born

unread,
Oct 31, 2010, 11:29:11 AM10/31/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com

I just tested my overlay on 1.9.0 and as suspected the synd settings are there, but no contact syncing and also no camera functionality.

I'm perfectly willing to trade camera for streaming audio.  I'll just list it on the specs.  I would vastly rather this be good at audio (control & local playback) than half decent at a bunch of things.

Jeremy Coleman

unread,
Oct 31, 2010, 1:10:37 PM10/31/10
to Neuros
If you are willing to fore go the contact syncing as well then we can
definitely go that route. The other option is to build on 1.7.4 since
it can support the camera, google apps, and should also have working
streaming for pandora and lastfm. Also if you aren't worried about
contact or calendar, then I can see about building off of 2.0 and look
into using the 1.9.0 framework files to get the audio streaming to
function correctly.

Joe Born

unread,
Nov 1, 2010, 12:13:16 AM11/1/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
you tell me, but neither contact sync or camera seem worthwhile to make tradeoffs for IMHO.  So whatever you think otherwise would be best for the device.

Joe

Jeremy Coleman

unread,
Nov 1, 2010, 10:41:53 AM11/1/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
I will make couple of builds based on the different releases to test and we can go from there.  Is there anyone who has the time for doing battery life testing?  I want to see what sort of difference there is between the separate firmwares in order to determine if it is an important factor in the decision for which to use.

Joe Born

unread,
Nov 1, 2010, 11:38:50 AM11/1/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Jeremy Coleman <jeremy.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
I will make couple of builds based on the different releases to test and we can go from there.  Is there anyone who has the time for doing battery life testing?  I want to see what sort of difference there is between the separate firmwares in order to determine if it is an important factor in the decision for which to use

I can do this, although not until Friday. 

Tim Cusack

unread,
Nov 1, 2010, 11:50:19 AM11/1/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
I can do this...

On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Jeremy Coleman <jeremy.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

Tim Cusack

unread,
Nov 1, 2010, 11:50:56 AM11/1/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
Did we ever get a way to save/restore the current state?  It would be very helpful in testing this type of thing...

Tim

Jeremy Coleman

unread,
Nov 1, 2010, 1:55:38 PM11/1/10
to Neuros
I will make backup/recovery roms available when I post the testing
roms.

On Nov 1, 9:50 am, Tim Cusack <thagrassho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Did we ever get a way to save/restore the current state?  It would be very
> helpful in testing this type of thing...
>
> Tim
>
>
>
> On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 10:50 AM, Tim Cusack <thagrassho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I can do this...
>
> > On Mon, Nov 1, 2010 at 9:41 AM, Jeremy Coleman <jeremy.d.cole...@gmail.com
> >>http://groups.google.com/group/Neuros- Hide quoted text -

Joe Born

unread,
Nov 8, 2010, 11:21:55 PM11/8/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
so, we don't have a ROM with android market where last.fm works, correct?  Jeremy if you could do this (or give guidance how to do it) that would be fabulous!  Let me know either way.

Marco Pantaleoni

unread,
Nov 9, 2010, 6:53:32 AM11/9/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
Could we put up a wiki page where we list in a table all available/usable image versions, with columns such as version, android version, kernel version, stability, desktop manager, android market, sound, camera, wifi power hack, google apps, calendar & contacts sync, orientation, swap, URL, etc?

Btw, what's the best current image with android market, wifi power hack, google apps and swap?

Marco

--
FOR REALTIME DISCUSSION GO TO IRC #neuros on freenode
 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the "Neuros" group.
To post to this group, send email to Neu...@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to Neuros-un...@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/Neuros



--
Marco Pantaleoni

Jeremy Coleman

unread,
Nov 9, 2010, 9:50:20 AM11/9/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
Joe - I will get something with last.fm and android market up soon.  Sorry for the delay.

Yves Pelletier

unread,
Nov 10, 2010, 7:57:59 AM11/10/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com

Roger Calver

unread,
Nov 10, 2010, 8:02:06 AM11/10/10
to Neuros
I will get hold of the last.fm apk and add it to the ROM.

On Nov 10, 12:57 pm, Yves Pelletier <pelle...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you think that you should include this too?
>
> http://lifehacker.com/5685752/youtube-remote-controls-youtube-leanbac...

Jeremy Coleman

unread,
Nov 10, 2010, 9:37:22 AM11/10/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
I saw that, but haven't had the time to try it out.  Have you tested it?  It may be useful for controlling youtube on the link, I just don't know if it will run on the tablet without crashing.  There are some device specific things in the included youtube app that allow it to play video without issue.

Joe Born

unread,
Nov 10, 2010, 5:28:02 PM11/10/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
I think so, it looks like it would fit in beautifully with the theme of the device.
Joe Born
Neuros Technology Intl., LLC 
twitter: http://twitter.com/neurostech
jb...@neurostechnology.com
IRC:  #neuros (freenode.net)
Skype: JoeBorn
cell: 773-442-2676 (US)
cell: 86-136-40134556 (China)

Joe Born

unread,
Nov 18, 2010, 10:18:21 AM11/18/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 8:50 AM, Jeremy Coleman <jeremy.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
Joe - I will get something with last.fm and android market up soon.  Sorry for the delay.

Any news on this, I'd like to send out something to tablet owners owner and promote for sale next week if possible.

Jeremy Coleman

unread,
Nov 18, 2010, 3:27:38 PM11/18/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
I was doing some testing this week with swapping some core files from 1.9.0 into 2.0, but it didn't help.  I will upload a firmware based on 1.9.0 with lastfm tonight.  If you have a list of other programs you want in it just let me know and I will add them.  One thing that will have to be mentioned/noted somewhere is that people should not upgrade lastfm when the maketplace says to.

--

Tim Cusack

unread,
Nov 18, 2010, 3:38:32 PM11/18/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com

I look forward to the chance to test this...

Have we worked out any way to save restore?

Hate to toast a couple months of customization...; )

Jeremy Coleman

unread,
Nov 18, 2010, 4:59:36 PM11/18/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
I'm trying to finish it up right now.

Jeremy Coleman

unread,
Nov 19, 2010, 9:36:31 AM11/19/10
to Neuros
Here's that download link.
http://www.multiupload.com/F6SDWTQ4MD

If you want to backup your current setup to restore later then you'll
have to wait until tonight. A couple things in the script aren't
working quite how I want yet.

On Nov 18, 1:27 pm, Jeremy Coleman <jeremy.d.cole...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was doing some testing this week with swapping some core files from 1.9.0
> into 2.0, but it didn't help.  I will upload a firmware based on 1.9.0 with
> lastfm tonight.  If you have a list of other programs you want in it just
> let me know and I will add them.  One thing that will have to be
> mentioned/noted somewhere is that people should not upgrade lastfm when the
> maketplace says to.
>
> On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 8:18 AM, Joe Born <jb...@neurostechnology.com>wrote:
>
>
>
> >  On Tue, Nov 9, 2010 at 8:50 AM, Jeremy Coleman <

Tim Cusack

unread,
Nov 19, 2010, 9:42:49 AM11/19/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
dl now...eagerly awaiting the save restore scripts...btw, you know you rock, right?

; 0

Jeremy Coleman

unread,
Nov 19, 2010, 11:16:06 AM11/19/10
to Neuros
I was in a rush when I posted earlier. Here's a quick feature list.

Firmware base: WMT SDK 1.9.0, Android 1.6 (chosen for streaming audio
compatibility)
Extra Capabilities: swap, root
Removed most of the garbage apps, kept "Peacock" media apps and
homepage
Added: lastfm, aldiko, xbmc remote, google apps, better terminal, es
file explorer, superuser

I tried to include the new youtube control app mentioned, but it would
not install. I will try to investigate this issue. There are probably
a few morethings I'm forgetting to mention, but you can just consider
them easter eggs! :)


On Nov 19, 7:36 am, Jeremy Coleman <jeremy.d.cole...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Here's that download link.http://www.multiupload.com/F6SDWTQ4MD

Joe Born

unread,
Nov 19, 2010, 11:44:18 AM11/19/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 8:42 AM, Tim Cusack <thagra...@gmail.com> wrote:
...btw, you know you rock, right?

amen!  Thanks Jeremy! and thanks Tim for reminding me to say thanks.

Jeremy Coleman

unread,
Nov 19, 2010, 12:01:14 PM11/19/10
to Neuros
Thanks guys. I'm really trying to get this recovery stuff worked out
so I can make it available to the whole slatedroid community. The
biggest issue I have is that I'd like to get some meaningful feedback
(progress indicator) for the tar process for the backup. Since it
could take awhile depending on what you have on your device I'd like
people to have a surefire way of knowing that it's not just frozen. I
am not much of a fan of the "just wait a really long time and then
check back" philosophy. Also if I can get something figured out I
would be able to implement it into the flashing process as well.

On Nov 19, 9:44 am, Joe Born <jb...@neurostechnology.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 8:42 AM, Tim Cusack <thagrassho...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > ...btw, you know you rock, right?
>
> > amen!  Thanks Jeremy! and thanks Tim for reminding me to say thanks.- Hide quoted text -

Yves Pelletier

unread,
Nov 19, 2010, 12:50:48 PM11/19/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
I'll check if tar have the same siginfo function as dd
If not,you may make the backup with dd ?

Yves Pelletier

unread,
Nov 19, 2010, 1:14:03 PM11/19/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
doing a kill -siginfo on the tar process show the actual file being
tarred, with the tarred size and total size of the file.
So you can do a kill -singinfo every 5 seconds maybe?

But it may be easier to simply compare the size of the tar with the
total size of the filesystem with a background process and print it to
the tty

Jeremy Coleman

unread,
Nov 19, 2010, 2:31:43 PM11/19/10
to Neuros
I was thinking of doing the background process/compare. I've found a
couple of really good scripts which handle it, but if I just write it
out to a tty it won't actually display so I have to adapt it to using
a different output method. Right now I have it just doing a spinner
which is decent enough for now, but I will work on something more
comprehensive with an actual progress bar.
> >> For more options, visit this group athttp://groups.google.com/group/Neuros- Hide quoted text -

Joe Born

unread,
Nov 19, 2010, 4:01:33 PM11/19/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
I uploaded to OdNT to avoid a bit of the nagging

Jeremy Coleman

unread,
Nov 19, 2010, 4:10:55 PM11/19/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Joe, I haven't had time to sort the issues on my server yet so it is much appreciated.

Jeremy Coleman

unread,
Nov 20, 2010, 4:49:04 AM11/20/10
to Neuros
http://www.multiupload.com/K3S46UCA3S

O.k. guys here is the first release of the backup rom. Joe, please
feel free to host it on your servers. Progress indicators aren't in
it because they were causing hangs during the tar process, but I will
keep working at it. When you run this from your sdcard it will backup
the system, data, and cache partitions to sdcard/script/backup. The
files will be named android_fs.tar, data.tar and cache.tar.

In order to restore just take a fresh firmware of the same version
they were from and put your backed up files in place of the tar files
that come with it. You will also want to delete all of the extra
folders and busybox.tar within the script folder in order to prevent
any files being written over the top of your backup during the
install. I am working on a scriptcmd file that will backup uboot,
wload and the kernel as well, but I'm not 100% confident in it yet.
Once that is complete I can provide a restore program that will handle
everything without needing to mess with a firmware on your own.

If you want to be able to just put your data and cache over the top of
a fresh install to get your settings back let me know and i can throw
that together easy. This sort of usage will not have any guarantees
of functionality though. Experience with other android devices has
shown me that many problems are caused by carrying previous data and
cache partitions over into a new flash. Since all of the currently
available firmwares/roms are built on android 1.6 it shouldn't cause
problems, but you have been warned.

Joe Born

unread,
Nov 28, 2010, 8:19:30 PM11/28/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com
This one seems to give the "demo box" nagging thing, are you not seeing that?

Jeremy Coleman

unread,
Nov 28, 2010, 10:15:40 PM11/28/10
to neu...@googlegroups.com

I haven't seen that on mine. Maybe yours has a different wifi adapter. I will put together a flash that replaces libui.so with different versions for you to try.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages