neuros OSD1 nmsd process

12 views
Skip to first unread message

fernando cassia

unread,
May 16, 2011, 4:18:17 AM5/16/11
to neu...@googlegroups.com
I�ve been playing with the OSDv1 and telnetting to it. It runs the OSDNG
firmware and I�vebeen telnetting to the box and observing cpu usage with
"top".

While playing back a video file, vplayer uses 1.1% of CPU, and top uses
3.5%, idecode_video uses 1.5% and process �nmsd�uses 22%, another (2nd)
nmsd uses 0.9%.

Question: what is nmsd? and why are there two running?.

Just curious.

FC

Vladimir Pantelic

unread,
May 16, 2011, 4:22:04 AM5/16/11
to neu...@googlegroups.com
fernando cassia wrote:
> I扉e been playing with the OSDv1 and telnetting to it. It runs the OSDNG
> firmware and I扉ebeen telnetting to the box and observing cpu usage with

> "top".
>
> While playing back a video file, vplayer uses 1.1% of CPU, and top uses
> 3.5%, idecode_video uses 1.5% and process 慨msd戟ses 22%, another (2nd)

> nmsd uses 0.9%.
>
> Question: what is nmsd? and why are there two running?.
>
> Just curious.

neuros media server daemon or so

learning chinese these days?

Ugo Riboni

unread,
May 16, 2011, 4:24:08 AM5/16/11
to neu...@googlegroups.com
> I扉e been playing with the OSDv1 and telnetting to it. It runs the OSDNG
> firmware and I扉ebeen telnetting to the box and observing cpu usage with

> "top".
>
> While playing back a video file, vplayer uses 1.1% of CPU, and top uses
> 3.5%, idecode_video uses 1.5% and process 慨msd戟ses 22%, another (2nd) nmsd

> uses 0.9%.
>
> Question: what is nmsd? and why are there two running?.

Hi Fernando,
- vplayer is the video player GUI
- idecode_video is the kernel side module that scoots data around to
the DSP to be decoded (IIRC)
- nmsd is the "media server" daemon process that sits there and
accepts commands from apps (like "play file at <path>"). it also does
all the heavy lifting of unpacking frames from the container via the
nmsd plugins. That's probably what the high CPU usage is for. There
are two of them because IIRC on the OSD system each thread is reported
as a process in top, but I may recall wrong.

Hope it helps,
--
nero

Fernando Cassia

unread,
May 16, 2011, 9:46:43 AM5/16/11
to neu...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 05:24, Ugo Riboni <neroc...@gmail.com> wrote:
> - nmsd is the "media server" daemon process that sits there and
> accepts commands from apps (like "play file at <path>"). it also does
> all the heavy lifting of unpacking frames from the container via the
> nmsd plugins. That's probably what the high CPU usage is for. There
> are two of them because IIRC on the OSD system each thread is reported
> as a process in top, but I may recall wrong.
>

Thanks Ugo!

The above information could be a nice addition to the wiki, under the
headline "OSD daemons and process names"...

Just to help others, fancy like doing a quick cut and paste? :)

Thanks again.
FC

Fernando Cassia

unread,
May 16, 2011, 9:49:51 AM5/16/11
to neu...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 05:22, Vladimir Pantelic <vlad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> neuros media server daemon or so
>
> learning chinese these days?

That is a problem that has been plaguing me for a couple years. I dont
know why some characters in my emails end up as Chinese text when
sending emails to CERTAIN google Groups lists.

I am using the AJAX GMail client (web page), and the text looks fine
on the screen, and in the copy on my Sent folder, yet it is switched
to Chinese chars when it reaches the list.

Odd, and annoying. Not my fault, and not on purpose, I swear.

FC

--
"Tools are a way to amplify our senses so that we can expand our reach
in order to expropiate space, compress time, and secure ourselves. A
gun extends the power of our throwing arms. An automobile is an
extension of our legs. Computers amplify our memories". - T.E.D.
"Space Time, and Modernity" J. Rifkin

Ugo Riboni

unread,
May 16, 2011, 10:59:43 AM5/16/11
to neu...@googlegroups.com
>> - nmsd is the "media server" daemon process that sits there and
>> accepts commands from apps (like "play file at <path>"). it also does
>> all the heavy lifting of unpacking frames from the container via the
>> nmsd plugins. That's probably what the high CPU usage is for. There
>> are two of them because IIRC on the OSD system each thread is reported
>> as a process in top, but I may recall wrong.
>
> The above information could be a nice addition to the wiki, under the
> headline "OSD daemons and process names"...
>
> Just to help others, fancy like doing a quick cut and paste? :)

It's a wiki, you're welcome to do that yourself ;)
I'm not even sure I recall my password on it.
Cheers,
--
nero

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages