new version of neuronvisio enthoguht dependent?

7 views
Skip to first unread message

Miha Pelko

unread,
Dec 13, 2011, 1:06:11 PM12/13/11
to neuronvisio
Hi,

is the newest version of Neuronvivo enthought-dependent?

I find the import statements in neuronvisio/visio.py which fail with
non-enthought versions of traits, mayavi ...

As far as I remember, the last version was not enthought dependent and
the online documentation also doesn't reflect the dependence. Am I
missing something here?

I could go and manually change the import statements, but such
tweaking has bitten me in the *** before. :-)

Thanks!

lpmp

Michele Mattioni

unread,
Dec 14, 2011, 4:58:46 AM12/14/11
to neuro...@googlegroups.com
Hi Miha,

that was well spotted!

The problem was the Mayavi people released the 4.0.0 and same of the
API changed.
I've understood was supposed to be a fit-in replacement, howver was
not the case.

On top of that I've made the 0.7.4 release to take a shortcut, which
instead was the wrong thing to do
'cause there is a bigger change. You have to upgrade to Mayavi 4.0.0 and so on.

I've discovered that two bugs are present with the new Mayavi

https://github.com/mattions/neuronvisio/issues/32
https://github.com/mattions/neuronvisio/issues/34

This is gonna be a braking release, so I've retracted the 0.7.4 and
made the 0.7.3 the latest on the server (pypi).
We could either release a 0.8.0-beta, pointing to the two bugs there,
or wait untill they get cleared and release a 0.8.0

Which way do you guys think is the best?

Cheers,
Michele

Michele Mattioni

unread,
Dec 14, 2011, 5:36:59 AM12/14/11
to neuro...@googlegroups.com
Just to clarify,
current master is already ported to Mayavi 4.0.0, with the two
regression bug already written,
while 0.7.3 is still using Mayavi 3.6.0

Miha Pelko

unread,
Dec 14, 2011, 5:49:10 AM12/14/11
to neuro...@googlegroups.com
For me it's best to wait for the bug-free version.

lpmp

Mike Vella

unread,
Dec 14, 2011, 7:55:39 AM12/14/11
to neuro...@googlegroups.com
I think releasing 0.7.3 as "stable" and bleeding edge 0.8.0-beta is
the way to go. No point waiting for people to finish development which
might take months and then not work.

Michele Mattioni

unread,
Dec 14, 2011, 8:07:39 AM12/14/11
to neuro...@googlegroups.com
Well the 0.7.3 is already released, and that's with Mayavi 3.6.0.

So yeah,
I'll keep the master in Mayavi 4.0.0 ready and release the 0.8.0 when
the two annoying bugs will be fixed.

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages