Announcing Open Source Brain v2.0: NetPyNE, NWB Explorer and JupyterLab; ModelDB models and DANDI Archive datasets

Padraig Gleeson

Jan 17, 2024, 12:57:10 PMJan 17
to comp-...@lists.cnsorg.org, neurale...@googlegroups.com

<Apologies for cross posting>

We would like to announce a major new version of the Open Source Brain platform (v2.0) we have been working on which has a range of new features for you to try: https://v2.opensourcebrain.org.

You can create cloud based, persistent workspaces which contain models and data from a number of sources (https://v2.opensourcebrain.org/repositories) including:

- All OSBv1 projects incorporating NeuroML and PyNN models
- All ModelDB entries
- All BRAIN Initiative DANDI Archive datasets containing NWB files

Inbuilt applications which can open these workspaces include:

- NetPyNE UI, a 3D graphical application for neuronal simulations (NeuroML compliant)
- NWB Explorer for opening and visualising data in NWB files
- JupyterLab, a full interactive Python environment, with a number of computational neuroscience, data analysis and machine learning packages preinstalled.

Full documentation is at https://docs.opensourcebrain.org and a Guided Tour introducing the main features of the platform is here. We are very keen for new users to try out our platform. Please note that you will require a different username/password for OSBv2 from OSBv1. We are also very happy to make dedicated resources available on the platform to support classes/tutorials/computational neuroscience schools.

The Open Source Brain Initiative aims to:

- Make neuroscience experimental data and computational models from around the world easily findable in a single location

- Provide a free to use, collaborative, web based, interactive computing platform that integrates state of the art software tools for accessing and working with large scale data sets and computational models.

- Encourage the use of standards for making research outputs more FAIR (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reusable): OSBv2 supports NeuroML for models and NWB for data.

Please get in contact if you would like to help us with any of these goals!

Regards,
The OSB Team