[ephyviewer]

Peter N. Steinmetz

Jan 16, 2023, 1:57:26 PM1/16/23
to Neural Ensemble
I am running into a problem with finding a QT binding in ephyviewer. Using Python 3.9. Using the source from the github repository for ephyviewer.

I am running in a Conda environment which has the following packages installed.

pyqt                      5.15.7           py39he9d5cce_0
pyqt5-sip                 12.11.0          py39he9d5cce_0
pyqtgraph                 0.13.1           py39hecd8cb5_0

Yet when I try to run any of the tests in ephyviewer, it complains

ImportError: Could not locate a supported Qt bindings library (PySide6, PyQt6, PyQt5, PySide2, PyQt4)

This is originating from myqt.py source which runs though 'import PyQt5' but doesn't find a library.

Am I missing something obvious here?

Samuel Garcia

Jan 16, 2023, 3:06:46 PM1/16/23
to neurale...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,
PyQt5 have always been a pain to install (and pyqt6 is worst)
are you able to make "import PyQt5" in python ? what is the error trace ?
Sometimtes it is beeter to explicitly import PyQt5 before ephyviewer so it forces the backend (PySide6 or PyQt5).
I would recommand to make either pure conda install or pure pip install for this.
Mixing the two worlds play bad when qt in in the game.
Make you can also downgrade pyqtgraph somtimes it helps.

You can also try Pyside6 which is OK but with pip install and so pyqtgraph with pip also.

Sam

Peter N. Steinmetz

Jan 17, 2023, 12:47:51 PM1/17/23
to Neural Ensemble
Hi Sam.

Starting a new venv in PyCharm seems to be working. I guess that is a pip environment. I have had to install several packages such as matlabengine from the command line using pip, but so far so good.

Truly does seem like using Conda is not such a good idea for this type of work.

thanks,
Peter