how to communicate with GPIO

Rudy Van Nuffelen

Nov 1, 2011, 4:19:26 PM11/1/11
to Netzer
Hi, I recently got a Netzer from Elektor.nl and managed to put version
1.4 on it and have it running.
I understood there is a way to communicate directly with the server on
port 65000 to read out and change the GPIO.

How is this done ? What do I need to do to get this running ?
What tools do you use on the PC to get this ?
Is there a help page.

Thanks for the feedback,

Rudy

Sven Schlender

Nov 2, 2011, 2:38:28 PM11/2/11
to netzer_i...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rudy,

> I understood there is a way to communicate directly with the server on
> port 65000 to read out and change the GPIO.

That is correct.

> How is this done ? What do I need to do to get this running ?
> What tools do you use on the PC to get this ?
> Is there a help page.

No - not yet. The Elector article is probably the best source for this stuff
at the moment. For quick help here some hints:
The GPIO protocol is a simple text based protocol.
A terminal program which can handle raw sockets like HyperTerminal can be
used.
At first establish a connection to Netzer.
The 13 pins are numbered from 'a' to 'm'.
For example reading out IO 0 is done with "a=?".
Setting IO 5 (of course must be configured as output) is done with "f=1".
Clear would be "f=0".
Also there is the wildcard ID 'x' which can be used to read and write all
pins at once (as a hex number, a is LSB).

Any whitespace character completes the command.
You should see messages from Netzer after successfully processing the
command.

Best regards,

Sven

Rudy Van Nuffelen