IPv6 for Netzer?

Troy

Mar 22, 2012, 1:47:19 AM3/22/12
to Netzer
Are there any plans for IPv6 support for the Netzer?

Thanks!

Sven Schlender

Mar 22, 2012, 5:42:02 AM3/22/12
to netzer_i...@googlegroups.com
Hi Troy,

> Are there any plans for IPv6 support for the Netzer?

Ah an interesting question. As you might know the Netzer firmware is bundled
with the Microchip TCP/IP stack. As long as I know the latest stack release
lacks in IPv6 support.

Maybe porting uIP to the Netzer would be an option. Here is a successful
port project for it: http://fjun.com/projects/doku.php?id=hardsoftware:uip
The IPV6 support and the more liberal licensing scheme would be definitivly
worth to think about it. The big problem might be the optimum usage of the
18F core and its embedded Ethernet controller.

If there is interest in the community we could start porting it together. I
will support it as good as I can.

Best regards,

Sven Schlender

Troy

Apr 8, 2012, 11:51:05 PM4/8/12
to Netzer
I'm interested.. I'm just not quite sure where to start. I just did
'first boot' of a netzer, so now I need to get a full development
environment set up.

Is there any functional 'open source' PIC toolchain you've had
any experience with? Otherwise I can bite my tongue and try
out the microchip compiler.

Sven Schlender

Apr 9, 2012, 3:16:09 AM4/9/12
to netzer_i...@googlegroups.com
Hi Troy,

> Is there any functional 'open source' PIC toolchain you've had any
> experience with? Otherwise I can bite my tongue and try out the
> microchip compiler.

Maybe the simplest way to start is the MPLAB X IDE, which integrates all the
necessary tools including the Debugger. Also the MCC18 compiler is included.
MPLAB X runs on all major OS.
IMHO the choose of Netbeans as Framework for MPLAB X is not the best of
Microchip, I prefer developing in Eclipse. The Netzer toolchain (makefile
based) makes this possible.

Best regards,

Sven