We are building NetworkX Guide - can you provide us with feedback?

Kruno Golubic

Apr 11, 2022, 4:09:33 PM4/11/22
to networkx-discuss
Hi everyone!

Since I'm new in this group let me introduce myself. My name is Kruno and I'm part of IT industry for some 25 years now. Just recently I've changed jobs and now I work as a technical writer at Memgraph (https://memgraph.com/). Since graph databases and Python are fairly new fields to me I know that I have a lot to learn. That is one of the reasons why I've joined this group.

As a technical writer, I'm used to learning new things, exploring, etc. One of the things that we do at Memgraph is maintaining a site called NetworkX Guide (https://networkx.guide/).

Since you are the experts on NetworkX, can you take a look at https://networkx.guide/ and tell me did we leave something out? Are there some areas that we should cover?

Our NetworkX Guide is also available on GitHub (https://github.com/memgraph/networkx-guide) so you can open an issue, join our efforts to make the Guide even better, or you can send me a mail with topics that you think are missing.

We would really like to make a Guide that will bring the power of NetworkX to Python developers and that will make it easier to adopt  NetworkX into their stack.

I'm looking forward to your feedback!

Kind regards

Kruno Golubic

--
Kruno Golubic
Technical Writer at Memgraph

seth....@gmail.com

Apr 12, 2022, 4:25:48 AM4/12/22
to networkx-discuss
Hello Kruno!

Thanks for reaching out, and this does look very interesting and something we have been working on!

Just my 2 cents; there seems to be significant overlap with our current documentation and other resources already present on the networkx.org website. Some questions and comments after going through the guide:

- The installation page (https://networkx.guide/installation) doesn’t install networkx in the recommended way (https://networkx.org/documentation/latest/install.html) and as the maintainers we won’t have access to this guide. In my opinion it makes it easier for users to have one single source of truth. These things may change in the future and users can end up in a situation where the officially maintained documentation installs one kind of environment and other resources recommend other kind of environment, this also makes it hard to debug issues where users open it on the networkx repo.

- Is https://networkx.guide/functions supposed to be a subset of the NetworkX API reference (https://networkx.org/documentation/latest/reference/index.html)?

- We already have a tutorial for new users (https://networkx.org/documentation/latest/tutorial.html) in our documentation, how can we improve this?

- I’m not sure if you have gone through https://networkx.org/nx-guides/ but we have been building this which overlaps significantly with the later pedagogical documentation. It would be amazing if we can get some of the documentation upstreamed to https://github.com/networkx/nx-guides as notebooks. PRs are always welcome! :)

Let me know what you think.

Best

Mridul