Adding Equality and Hierarchical Mobility measurements

Matt Barnes

Jun 8, 2022, 11:56:45 AM6/8/22
to networkx-discuss
Hello,

Recently my paper [https://arxiv.org/abs/2205.14091] was accepted to be published in the proceedings of Complenet 2022 [https://complenet.weebly.com/] conference and I would like to know if it would be accepted if I created an integration with NetworkX.

The main idea is to measure both Equality and Hierarchical Mobility over the lifespan of a time evolving network. For equality I use the Gini Coefficient, and for mobility I have defined a taxonomy of correlations of individual node importance which are calculated between two time points.

These are useful measures for analysing the importance patterns and structure of time evolving networks.

Please do let me know any thoughts.

Best regards,
Matthew Barnes

Ross Barnowski

Jun 9, 2022, 2:11:21 AM6/9/22
to networkx...@googlegroups.com
Hi Matthew,

Congratulations on your recent publication! Re: inclusion in NetworkX, there is no "official" policy on how to determine whether a new algorithm is a good fit for NetworkX. Generally speaking, algorithms that have demonstrated broad applicability to network science and/or graph theory are certainly compelling additions. There is mention in our [contributor FAQ](https://networkx.org/documentation/latest/developer/new_contributor_faq.html#q-what-is-the-policy-for-deciding-whether-to-include-a-new-algorithm) of how heavily cited work is, but in my interpretation that's really intended to be a proxy for general applicability/"impact".

For this specific case, it's worth noting that NetworkX does not currently have a built-in data structure for representing temporal networks, though that's certainly something the developers are very interested in. One of the blockers there is having a good sense of the common patterns/use-cases associated with temporal networks, and it sounds like you'd be able to contribute to that discussion!

~Ross