Copyright date

Stephane Quenson

Jan 4, 2024, 5:18:25 PMJan 4
to networkx-discuss
Hello everyone,

Happy New Year!

I don't know how to submit a pull request for this: the copyright notice should be updated to cover 2024, at the bottom of each page.

Also, in the networkx guides (https://networkx.org/nx-guides/), the copyright is still 2022 so it should now be changed to 2024.

Thanks in advance.

Paul Ivanov

Jan 7, 2024, 4:00:28 AMJan 7
to networkx...@googlegroups.com
Happy new year!

copyright does not need to be updated every year after the initial year of publication, at least that's the conclusion we came to in IPython world back in 2012. See https://github.com/ipython/ipython/pull/1644 for the discussion and rationale.

best,
pi

                   _
                  / \
                A*   \^   -
             ,./   _.`\\ / \
            / ,--.S    \/   \
           /  `"~,_     \    \
     __o           ?
   _ \<,_         /:\
--(_)/-(_)----.../ | \
--------------.......J
Paul Ivanov
https://pirsquared.org | GPG/PGP key id: 0x0F3E28F7

Stephane Quenson

Jan 7, 2024, 7:41:22 AMJan 7
to networkx-discuss
You are absolutely right: legally speaking, mentioning the (wrong) year has no impact. But from a "freshness" perspective, I immediately think that a site with (c) 2022 has not been modified for more than a year and it looks a little bit abandoned.

Cheers,
Stéphane

Paul Ivanov

Jan 7, 2024, 9:22:08 PMJan 7
On Sun, Jan 7, 2024 at 4:41 AM Stephane Quenson <stephane...@gmail.com> wrote:
You are absolutely right: legally speaking, mentioning the (wrong) year has no impact. But from a "freshness" perspective, I immediately think that a site with (c) 2022 has not been modified for more than a year and it looks a little bit abandoned.

Whereas when I see old dates, I am glad to have had those sites aging like fine wine for my enjoyment. :)