Not overwhelming people with connections when doing network weaving

Steve Habib Rose

Sep 13, 2007, 8:55:08 PM9/13/07
to Network...@googlegroups.com
I met today with a woman is volunteer coordinator for a (very!) local
tutoring program. As you probably know, David Braden and I are working
with Daniel Bassill to do network weaving around tutoring/mentoring.

She only had a limited time to meet, and I was sensitive to her time
constraints. However, after the meeting, I was tempted to do a "mind
dump" of all the connections that I thought would be useful.

I realized that this could well be overwhelming, and that it would be best
to spread this information out over a period of a couple weeks. Among
other things, this allows us to prioritize things -- for example, there is
an event happening this weekend that she needed to know about.

--
In Community,

Steve "Habib" Rose
ha...@connectexpress.com
Seattle, Washington, USA 98122

Blog: http://www.neighbornetworking.com/
Linkedin: https://www.linkedin.com/e/fpf/4315702/

"Connecting People to Weave a Better World"

Regional: Linkedin Seattle - Local Area Networkers – Neighbornets
Global: Network Weavers Network - Relationship Networking Industry Assn.

tutormentor

Sep 15, 2007, 9:53:27 AM9/15/07
to NetworkWeaving

Steve,

I like the term "mind dump" and your realization that this can't be
done all at once.

I've been trying to teach my volunteers, leaders and peers to be doing
a "mind dump" on an on-going basis. By that I mean if they learn to
visit various sections of the T/MC web site (and from there possibly
visit web sites of other people in the library) with the same
frequency the go to the Library for a book, or go to Church and Sunday
School to read and reflect on scripture, they can slowly build their
understanding of the material in the library and the reasons tutor/
mentor programs are needed, as well as the ways they and their friends
can help various programs all over the country.

My aim is that this growing knowledg have a permanent place in their
brain and sub-counscious so that anytime they run into someone who
they feel would be interested in this information, or who might join
the network, all they have to do is introduce the T/MC and point to
places on the web where this person or group of people can get
connected.

This is what evangelists have been doing for centuries. We just need
to duplicate the process, pointing to places on the internet as
sources of knowledge and inspiration.

As people learn to do this, and keep doing it over a life time, they
will soon find that they begin introducing entire groups of people to
the T/MC, such as their own faith network, business partners, college
friend, etc.

As more people take this role, the network grows, and so does support
for tutor/mentor programs all over the country (and the world).

Dan