Feature Request. realtime node/link placement.

Johnny Ritzer

Jul 16, 2016, 2:43:51 PM7/16/16
to Network Weathermap
Not sure if this has been asked yet or if theres a way to maybe get it done without redesigning too much code. or 1.0/2.0 future update.

Looking to get more more realtime node placement/rightclick add/drop lines in or what not (jquery/ or something)

When you click a node You have to then wait/load then you click move and then wait/load then you move it and trying to do that on alot of pages to save some time maybe more instant interactive.

Thanks

Howard Jones

Jul 16, 2016, 2:52:07 PM7/16/16
to network-w...@googlegroups.com
There's a limit to what can be done with the current structure - all the
drawing takes place on the server, so any change requires a roundtrip to
the server, and the encoding of a new PNG file (which can take a little
time) and sending it (which does too). I did actually have something to
do some of this as a demo, but it's really hacky, and hasn't been
updated in years. I made video of it, back in 2009 or so:

https://youtu.be/0UPiBKLi4fI

The funny delays aren't a problem with the video - that's the server
roundtrip still happening to update the links when nodes are let go
after being dragged. So the actual speed isn't really faster, but it
feels more interactive.

However, I'm not planning to pursue that in favour of the long-term plan
which is to move to SVG, generated on the client, which opens up a lot
of possibilities both for the editor, and for things like realtime data
updates (or different-frequency updates).

Johnny Ritzer

Aug 9, 2016, 9:29:49 AM8/9/16
to Network Weathermap
Oh wow that is muuuuuch Faster hehe saves time.

Oh cool hope to see it soon.  Mabye if you need a tester to help aid to the SVG stuff.

On the side Im trying to write a quick/small cisco CDP neighbor script network mapper and prebuild links to their neighbors inside your tool to auto generate a config file based on subnets / networks i give to scan OIDs. Might be a crazy way but might be cool what i come up with.

for cool live interactive feel I was seeing something that someone built as a plugin with this but not sure if its SVG savy  http://visjs.org/network_examples.html