[Network Seminar] Marc Barthelemy: Modelling the population evolution of cities

chakresh.singh

Feb 9, 2022, 3:09:52 AM2/9/22
to Network seminar in Paris

Dear all,

We are excited to invite you to the next Network Seminar on 16th February at 3pm-4pm CET with Marc Barthelemy (IPhT).

The seminar will be hybrid:

In person -  LPI room 1.10

Online - please use this registration Link for online attendance

Title: Modelling the population evolution of cities

Abstract: Modelling the population evolution of cities is at the core of urban science.The most fundamental problem is to understand the hierarchical organization of city population and the statistical occurrence of megacities. This was first thought to be described by a universal principle known as Zipf’s law. However, the validity of this model has been challenged by recent empirical studies. In addition, we also observe empirically the relative frequent rise and falls of cities. I will present here a model able to explain and to reconciliate these various aspects of urban dynamics.

More precisely, I will discuss a stochastic equation recently proposed for modelling population growth in cities, constructed from an empirical analysis of recent datasets (for Canada, France, the UK and the USA). This model reveals how rare, but large, interurban migratory shocks dominate city growth, and that the distribution of city populations have a complex shape that is not described by Zipf's law.

Bio: Marc Barthelemy is a Research Director at the Institute of theoretical physics (IPhT) in Saclay (France) and an associate member of the Center for Social Analysis and Mathematics (CAMS/EHESS). He worked on applications of statistical physics to complex systems, complex networks, theoretical epidemiology, and spatial networks. Focusing on both data analysis and modeling,

Marc is currently working on various aspects of urban systems.

Website: www.quanturb.com

Best regards,

Chakresh, Liubov, Marc

More information on the network seminar: https://interactiondatalab.com/network-seminar/

chakresh.singh

Feb 14, 2022, 8:51:02 AM2/14/22
to Network seminar in Paris
Dear All,
A gentle reminder to register for the seminar on Wednesday
Best Regards
Chakresh, Liubov, Marc

Gijs van den Dool

Apr 14, 2022, 2:23:45 AM4/14/22
to chakresh.singh, Network seminar in Paris, Liubov Tupikina
Hi  Chakresh, Somehow I missed this post, and only saw it now while cleaning my inbox - would you have the slides/recording of this meeting? I will try to pay more attention to my emails, and hopefully, we will see each other in person for the next meeting/workshop (if I am in town and able to get to the CRI). Thanks in advance, Gijs

chakresh singh

Apr 14, 2022, 2:34:50 AM4/14/22
to Gijs van den Dool, Network seminar in Paris, Liubov Tupikina
Dear Gijs,
I hope you are doing well. Unfortunately, for the network seminar by Marc Barthelemy we could not record the meeting due to some changes in policies of our institute's google account.

I would be looking forward to meeting you in person. Please email us if you are in town and plan to visit CRI (now LPI).

best regards
Chakresh