Network seminar on 8th July (Thursday): Marc Timme "Inverse problems and data-driven modeling for multi-dimensional dynamical systems -- from biology to mobility"

1 view

Liubov

Jul 5, 2021, 6:58:04 AM7/5/21
to network-se...@googlegroups.com, student aire, students.ma...@cri-paris.org

Hello everyone,

We are really excited to invite you all to our (last before summer break) on 8th July at 5pm-6pm CET network seminar with Marc Timme who is a Chair for Network Dynamics, TU Dresden http://networkdynamics.info

Event page is here

Feel free to register in order to get ZOOM link to the meeting

Inverse problems and data-driven modeling for multi-dimensional dynamical systems -- from biology to mobility

Marc Timme, Chair for Network Dynamics, TU Dresden
http://networkdynamics.info

Inverse problems have a long history in the natural sciences and mathematics and are implicit to many engineering problems. For instance, Bragg diffraction techniques yield lattice spacings of periodic crystal lattices and design and closed-loop control schemes enable the reliable functioning of engineered machines near set operating points. Yet, for multi-dimensional systems the vast majority of research on collective nonlinear dynamics is still focusing on the “forward direction” of analysis or modeling and asks what types of collective dynamics emerge from a network of given units interacting via a given topology. How to infer features of systems that both are multi-dimensional and exhibit self-organized dynamics thus remains an open problem. Here we address two basic questions on network inference. First, how to identify the number of dynamical variables in a multi-dimensional system from observing time series of only some of them? Second, how to infer interaction topologies from recorded time series only, in particular without the knowledge of any specific model of the system? Both constitute partially uncharted territory for theory and may offer a wide range of applications. We also touch the dynamics of multi-dimensional mobility systems that pose even harder inference problems due to little data available and simultaneously complex, externally driven dynamics.

Example References:
[1] Theory of topology inference: Science Adv. 3: e1600396 (2017) and Nature Comm. 8:2192 (2017).
[2] Theory of system size inference: Phys. Rev. Lett. 122:158301 (2018).
[3] Constraining features of mobility systems: Nature Comm. 11: 4831 (2020) and Nature Comm. 12: 3003 (2021).

Скриншот 05-07-2021 125408.png
event_image-d923675b2e9595de84855c488e1c3c5b.jpg

--

Bests,
Liubov