Exception when writing DefaultFileRegion in 4.0.22

Reynold Xin

Aug 19, 2014, 5:12:26 PM8/19/14
to ne...@googlegroups.com
Code snippet:

        val region = new DefaultFileRegion(fileChannel, segment.offset, segment.length)
        ctx.writeAndFlush(region).addListener(new ChannelFutureListener {
          override def operationComplete(future: ChannelFuture) {
            if (future.isSuccess) {
              logTrace(s"Sent block $blockId (${segment.length} B) back to $client")
            } else {
              logError(s"Error sending block $blockId to $client; closing connection", future.cause)
              ctx.close()
            }
          }
        })

This used to work in 4.0.21, but in 4.0.22 I saw the following exception:

java.lang.ClassCastException: io.netty.channel.DefaultFileRegion cannot be cast to io.netty.buffer.ByteBuf
at io.netty.channel.socket.nio.NioSocketChannel.doWrite(NioSocketChannel.java:303)
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel$AbstractUnsafe.flush0(AbstractChannel.java:707)
at io.netty.channel.nio.AbstractNioChannel$AbstractNioUnsafe.flush0(AbstractNioChannel.java:315)
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannel$AbstractUnsafe.flush(AbstractChannel.java:676)
at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline$HeadContext.flush(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:1059)
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeFlush(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:688)
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.flush(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:669)
at io.netty.channel.ChannelOutboundHandlerAdapter.flush(ChannelOutboundHandlerAdapter.java:115)
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeFlush(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:688)
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.write(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:718)
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.writeAndFlush(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:706)
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.writeAndFlush(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:741)
at org.apache.spark.network.netty.server.BlockServerHandler.writeFileSegment$1(BlockServerHandler.scala:93)
at org.apache.spark.network.netty.server.BlockServerHandler.channelRead0(BlockServerHandler.scala:135)
at org.apache.spark.network.netty.server.BlockServerHandler.channelRead0(BlockServerHandler.scala:38)
at io.netty.channel.SimpleChannelInboundHandler.channelRead(SimpleChannelInboundHandler.java:105)
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:333)
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.fireChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:319)
at io.netty.handler.codec.MessageToMessageDecoder.channelRead(MessageToMessageDecoder.java:103)
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:333)
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.fireChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:319)
at io.netty.handler.codec.ByteToMessageDecoder.channelRead(ByteToMessageDecoder.java:163)
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.invokeChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:333)
at io.netty.channel.AbstractChannelHandlerContext.fireChannelRead(AbstractChannelHandlerContext.java:319)
at io.netty.channel.DefaultChannelPipeline.fireChannelRead(DefaultChannelPipeline.java:787)
at io.netty.channel.nio.AbstractNioByteChannel$NioByteUnsafe.read(AbstractNioByteChannel.java:130)
at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKey(NioEventLoop.java:511)
at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeysOptimized(NioEventLoop.java:468)
at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.processSelectedKeys(NioEventLoop.java:382)
at io.netty.channel.nio.NioEventLoop.run(NioEventLoop.java:354)
at io.netty.util.concurrent.SingleThreadEventExecutor$2.run(SingleThreadEventExecutor.java:116)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:744)

Trustin Lee

Aug 19, 2014, 5:14:15 PM8/19/14
to Netty Discussions

4.0.23 should fix the problem. Could you confirm?

2014. 8. 20. 오전 6:12에 "Reynold Xin" <rx...@databricks.com>님이 작성:
--

---

Reynold Xin

Aug 19, 2014, 5:15:59 PM8/19/14
to ne...@googlegroups.com
Let me try.

Any chance you guys can send release announcements via an announcement email?

Reynold Xin

Aug 19, 2014, 5:43:17 PM8/19/14
to ne...@googlegroups.com
Yes, 4.0.23 fixed the problem. Thanks.

Norman Maurer

Aug 20, 2014, 12:20:22 AM8/20/14
to ne...@googlegroups.com, Reynold Xin
Doesn’t it work for you to use rss with netty.io ? We do all announcements there.

--
Norman Maurer
Principal Software Engineer

Reynold Xin

Aug 20, 2014, 12:43:32 AM8/20/14
to Norman Maurer, ne...@googlegroups.com
It's quite common for projects to have an announcement list that posts project release info. It is pretty low overhead. Maybe it is just me, but I stopped using rss when Google Reader was terminated.

Anyway, feel free to do whatever you see fit. Just raising a small request here, but I don't feel strongly towards that.

Ngoc

Aug 20, 2014, 10:53:13 PM8/20/14
to ne...@googlegroups.com, nma...@redhat.com
> It's quite common for projects to have an announcement list that posts project release info. It is pretty low overhead. Maybe it is just me, but I stopped using rss when Google Reader was terminated.

I second that.
Please also post announcement to this mailing list.
I subscribe to immediately receive mail about
every new message in this mailing list.

Every time, after all your great effort to release a new release,
why not take one more minute to post an announcement?

Up to now, I usually know about new Netty versions after a few days late, sometimes a week:
* Via Twitter (I don't check Twitter very often).
* Access Netty homepage to read Javadoc, and sometimes click the "News" link to see if there's anything new. (I think new news should be right on the top page.)