Trafgen: Warning: Out of Memory

Jon Schipp

Jun 26, 2013, 8:03:46 PM6/26/13
to netsn...@googlegroups.com
After doing a git clone yesterday from github.com/borkmann/netsniff-ng I've been getting "Out of memory" errors after running trafgen.
I tried on an Ubuntu Server 12.04 virtual machine (depicted below) and on physical server machine of the same distribution. Both worked
without problems before I compiled the latest and now both are giving me the same problem. I tried sending only one packet via "--num 1"
and it does the same thing. Physical machine has 4 cores and 4GB of RAM. Virtual machine has 4 cores allocated from host OS and I
think 1GB of RAM. The machines become unresponsive (I waited up to around 5 minutes) and I'm forced to do a hard reboot.
Inline image 1
Screen Shot 2013-06-26 at 10.37.18 AM.png

Daniel Borkmann

Jul 13, 2013, 7:22:29 AM7/13/13
to netsn...@googlegroups.com, Jon Schipp
On 06/27/2013 02:03 AM, Jon Schipp wrote:
> After doing a git clone yesterday from github.com/borkmann/netsniff-ng I've
> been getting "Out of memory" errors after running trafgen.

Sorry for the late answer Jon. As we have discussed lots of stuff off-list,
this seem to have gotten lost under way.

> I tried on an Ubuntu Server 12.04 virtual machine (depicted below) and on
> physical server machine of the same distribution. Both worked
> without problems before I compiled the latest and now both are giving me
> the same problem. I tried sending only one packet via "--num 1"
> and it does the same thing. Physical machine has 4 cores and 4GB of RAM.
> Virtual machine has 4 cores allocated from host OS and I
> think 1GB of RAM. The machines become unresponsive (I waited up to around 5
> minutes) and I'm forced to do a hard reboot.

This is very weird. Having the file foo contain garbage and running trafgen with
"--num 1" seems fine from here (sysmem looks stable as well):

# cat foo
{ fill(0xff, 64) }
# trafgen -i foo -o wlan0 --num 1
2 packets to schedule
128 bytes in total
Running! Hang up with ^C!

1 packets outgoing
64 bytes outgoing
0 sec, 35 usec on CPU0 (0 packets)
0 sec, 30 usec on CPU1 (1 packets)
#

Can you try to reproduce this with the latest Git version?

Thanks,

Daniel

chandras...@gmail.com

Dec 5, 2017, 6:45:52 AM12/5/17
to netsniff-ng
while running trafgen commands , i am getting segmentation fault (cpre dump).

can someone please guide me to move further ?

Thanks,
Chandra

Vadim Kochan

Dec 18, 2017, 8:59:29 AM12/18/17
to netsniff-ng, chandras...@gmail.com
Hi Chandra,

Sorry for the late response !

Would you please provide commands which did you use ?

Thanks!