[ANNOUNCE] Preparing for netsniff-ng release v0.6.4

Tobias Klauser

Oct 20, 2017, 9:29:28 AM10/20/17
to netsn...@googlegroups.com, Daniel Borkmann, Vadim Kochan
The last release was in April and there have been quite a few changes
since which are worth another release.

Thus, the tree [1] is now closed for new features as of today. This
means only bug fixes and small, non-intrusive fixes/cleanups will now be
considered for inclusion in v0.6.4. The final release is planned in two
weeks time. Afterwards the tree is open again for new features and more
experimental changes.

[1] https://github.com/netsniff-ng/netsniff-ng

Everybody who's interested in the netsniff-ng toolkit is kindly invited
to give the current git HEAD some good testing, report issues [2] or
send patches [3].

[2] https://github.com/netsniff-ng/netsniff-ng/issues
[3] https://github.com/netsniff-ng/netsniff-ng/blob/master/SubmittingPatches

Please see the shortlog below for an overview of the fixes and features
that were added since v0.6.3.

Thanks to everybody who contributed to the upcoming release so far:
Baruch Siach, Jaroslav Škarvada, Jia Zhouyang, Paolo Abeni, and Vadim Kochan.

Baruch Siach (2):
flowtop: take PKG_CONFIG into account for libnetfilter_conntrack
proc.h: add missing headers

Jaroslav Škarvada (1):
staging: compilation fix with new gcc

Jia Zhouyang (1):
mausezahn: fix segmentation fault

Paolo Abeni (1):
trafgen: fix packet socket initialization with multiple CPUs

Tobias Klauser (20):
netsniff-ng: remove unnecessary zeroing of packet counters in init_ctx()
make: use sed instead of perl to extract lex/yacc prefix
proc: include headers to get definitions for ino_t and pid_t
geoip: adjust geoip{4,6}_{city,region}_name prototypes for !HAVE_GEOIP
all: use <net/*> headers instead of <linux/*> where possible
built_in: don't redefine memcpy/memset
bpfc: disable NLS in the parser
trafgen: disable NLS in the parser
AUTHORS: add Baruch Siach
trafgen: gracefully handle ENOBUFS on tx ring teardown
netsniff-ng: fix --bind-cpu option in example command line
AUTHOR: add Zhouyang Jia
dev: only calculate wireless bitrate if necessary
ifpps: use uint32_t instead of u32
link: use uint32_t instead of u32
ifpps: fix unintendet assignment
build: check for fopencookie() in configure
trafgen: fix resource leaks
trafgen: fix NULL pointer dereference in -i option parsing
astraceroute: use switch instead of lookup table for short proto id

Vadim Kochan (13):
trafgen: parser: Use proto_field_set_xxx where it is possible
flowtop: Improve and unify up/down scrolling
trafgen: proto: Allow to set field with variable length
str: Add function for converting string into DNS name
trafgen: l7: Add DNS header generation API
trafgen: parser: Add syntax to generate DNS header
flowtop: Move out stats fields from flow & proc entry
trafgen: Allow to generate packets to output pcap file
trafgen: Fix output pcap file name length trimming
trafgen: Delegate creation of rfraw to dev_io API
trafgen: Get packet from proto_hdr if possible
trafgen: dev_io: Change read/write to specify struct packet *
trafgen: Dump proto headers in *.cfg format

@mandarg

Dec 8, 2017, 12:00:03 PM12/8/17
to netsniff-ng
On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 9:29:28 AM UTC-4, Tobias Klauser wrote:
> The final release is planned in two
> weeks time. Afterwards the tree is open again for new features and more
> experimental changes.

Is there an estimated date for when the release will be tagged? Asking since I'm debating whether to separately pull some patches into my packaged version, or just wait for the tagged release.

Thanks and regards,
Mandar

Vadim Kochan

Dec 8, 2017, 12:30:25 PM12/8/17
to netsniff-ng, manda...@gmail.com
Hi All,

I just noticed there some bug reports, I will look on them on weekend, I assume it is better
to wait with release unless isues will be fixed ?

Regards,
Vadim

Tobias Klauser

Dec 11, 2017, 3:08:17 AM12/11/17
to netsn...@googlegroups.com, vad...@gmail.com, manda...@gmail.com
On 2017-12-08 at 18:30:24 +0100, Vadim Kochan <vad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I just noticed there some bug reports, I will look on them on weekend, I
> assume it is better
> to wait with release unless isues will be fixed ?

Yes, in particular https://github.com/netsniff-ng/netsniff-ng/issues/183
worries me a bit. Would be nice to get it fixed before the release. If
we're not able to find a fix within 2-3 days, I'd say we could still do
a release with the current state (as the bug already seems to be present
in 0.6.3 anyway) and do another release once we find a fix.

Thanks for looking into this!

Tobias

Tobias Klauser

Dec 14, 2017, 7:47:13 AM12/14/17
to netsn...@googlegroups.com, vad...@gmail.com, manda...@gmail.com
Vadim, any progress? If not, I'd mention this as a known issue in the
release notes for now and still go forward with the release (we can
still do a point release if we find a fix for it soon).

As for the release, I'd like to pull in PR 184 [1] which fixes an
obvious bug.

[1] https://github.com/netsniff-ng/netsniff-ng/pull/184

Tobias

Vadim Kochan

Dec 14, 2017, 8:12:22 PM12/14/17
to Tobias Klauser, netsniff-ng, Mandar Gokhale
Hi Tobias,

Looks like its data-race issue, can't reproduce it yet, *BUT*, looking
into the code it looks like I missed to remove flow entry from the proc_entry->flows
list while flow entry is removing & freeing from the global list, plz give me few more days for testing & fixing
if its possible.

Regards,
Vadim Kochan

Tobias Klauser

Dec 15, 2017, 2:39:16 AM12/15/17
to Vadim Kochan, netsniff-ng, Mandar Gokhale
Hi Vadim

On 2017-12-15 at 02:12:20 +0100, Vadim Kochan <vad...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Looks like its data-race issue, can't reproduce it yet, *BUT*, looking
> into the code it looks like I missed to remove flow entry from the
> proc_entry->flows
> list while flow entry is removing & freeing from the global list, plz give
> me few more days for testing & fixing
> if its possible.

Thanks a lot for the follow up. Will hold off the release until next
week then.

Thanks!