Bookmark icons

Nige

Aug 15, 2002, 7:24:44 AM8/15/02
Hi -

From what I've been reading in various newsgroups, Mozilla should
display a site's icon on the personal toolbar, if I move the bookmark
onto it. However, I just get the normal 'bookmark' icon.

Is there something I can do to enable this feature? Also, should I
expect to see the icons in my bookmarks folder?

Thanks in advance,
Nige.

Neil

Aug 15, 2002, 7:32:48 AM8/15/02
Nige wrote:

>From what I've been reading in various newsgroups, Mozilla should display a site's icon on the personal toolbar, if I move the bookmark onto it. However, I just get the normal 'bookmark' icon.
>
>Is there something I can do to enable this feature? Also, should I expect to see the icons in my bookmarks folder?

This feature was disabled because it was unreliable although the
addresses of the icons are still saved so to re-enable it only requires
some edits to a couple of files compressed into comm.jar.

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.

Nige

Aug 19, 2002, 8:14:24 AM8/19/02
Neil <ne...@parkwaycc.co.uk> wrote in message news:<1029411176.18206....@news.demon.co.uk>...

> This feature was disabled because it was unreliable although the
> addresses of the icons are still saved so to re-enable it only requires
> some edits to a couple of files compressed into comm.jar.

Any chance you could give details on how to do this as I would find
this really useful...

Cheers,
Nige

Neil

Aug 21, 2002, 7:20:33 AM8/21/02
Nige wrote:

Unzip comm.jar (it's just a pkzip file).
Edit navigator.xul and navigatorOverlay.xul and look for status= and add

src="rdf:http://home.netscape.com/NC-rdf#Icon"
validate="never"

for a <menuitem> or image= for a <toolbarbutton>

Then zip the files back in.

Nige

Aug 21, 2002, 6:45:47 PM8/21/02
Neil <ne...@parkwaycc.co.uk> wrote in message news:<1029928833.23275....@news.demon.co.uk>...

> Nige wrote:
>
> >Neil <ne...@parkwaycc.co.uk> wrote in message news:<1029411176.18206....@news.demon.co.uk>...
> >

> >>This feature was disabled because it was unreliable although the addresses of the icons are still saved so to re-enable it only requires some edits to a couple of files compressed into comm.jar.
> >>

> >Any chance you could give details on how to do this as I would find this really useful...
> >

> Unzip comm.jar (it's just a pkzip file).
> Edit navigator.xul and navigatorOverlay.xul and look for status= and add

*** > src="rdf:http://home.netscape.com/NC-rdf#Icon"
*** > validate="never"

> for a <menuitem> or image= for a <toolbarbutton>
>
> Then zip the files back in.

I've added the two lines (***) above to both files so they appear as:
navigator.xul:
<rule parent="hbox">
<toolbarbutton class="bookmark-item" uri="rdf:*"
editable="true"

status="rdf:http://home.netscape.com/WEB-rdf#status"

src="rdf:http://home.netscape.com/NC-rdf#Icon" validate="never"

rdf:type="http://home.netscape.com/NC-rdf#Bookmark"

statustext="rdf:http://home.netscape.com/NC-rdf#URL"
tooltip="ptTooltip"

label="rdf:http://home.netscape.com/NC-rdf#Name"/>
</rule>

and navigationOverlay.xul:
<menuitem class="menuitem-iconic bookmark-item"
uri="rdf:*"
label="rdf:http://home.netscape.com/NC-rdf#Name"

status="rdf:http://home.netscape.com/WEB-rdf#status"
src="rdf:http://home.netscape.com/NC-rdf#Icon"
validate="never"/>

Does this look OK? Nothing appears to be any different...
I've checked the comm.jar file and the changes are definitely in
there. If I try to visit "rdf:http://home.netscape.com/NC-rdf#Icon" I
get a page not found.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Nige

Neil

Aug 22, 2002, 6:24:06 AM8/22/02
Nige wrote:

>navigator.xul:
> <rule parent="hbox">
> <toolbarbutton class="bookmark-item" uri="rdf:*" editable="true"
> status="rdf:http://home.netscape.com/WEB-rdf#status"
> src="rdf:http://home.netscape.com/NC-rdf#Icon" validate="never"

Sorry, this one is image= not src=

> rdf:type="http://home.netscape.com/NC-rdf#Bookmark"
> statustext="rdf:http://home.netscape.com/NC-rdf#URL"
> tooltip="ptTooltip"
> label="rdf:http://home.netscape.com/NC-rdf#Name"/>
> </rule>

I think there might be another menuitem in navigator.xul to fix, to
cover folders in the personal toolbar.

>and navigationOverlay.xul:

navigatorOverlay.xul?

> <menuitem class="menuitem-iconic bookmark-item" uri="rdf:*"
> label="rdf:http://home.netscape.com/NC-rdf#Name"
> status="rdf:http://home.netscape.com/WEB-rdf#status"
> src="rdf:http://home.netscape.com/NC-rdf#Icon"
> validate="never"/>
>
>Does this look OK? Nothing appears to be any different...
>I've checked the comm.jar file and the changes are definitely in there. If I try to visit "rdf:http://home.netscape.com/NC-rdf#Icon" I get a page not found.

Check your bookmarks.html file for ICON= entries - these map to
"rdf:http://home.netscape.com/NC-rdf#Icon", so if you don't have any
saved icons they won't appear :-)

Nige

Aug 23, 2002, 4:35:18 AM8/23/02
Neil <ne...@parkwaycc.co.uk> wrote in message news:<1030011847.18319....@news.demon.co.uk>...

> Sorry, this one is image= not src=

OK - changed it in both - is that correct?

> >and navigationOverlay.xul:
> >
> navigatorOverlay.xul?

Sorry - a typo.

> Check your bookmarks.html file for ICON= entries - these map to
> "rdf:http://home.netscape.com/NC-rdf#Icon", so if you don't have any
> saved icons they won't appear :-)

Yeh - I've got plenty...

Thanks for your patience,
Nige

Neil

Aug 23, 2002, 5:02:13 AM8/23/02
Nige wrote:

>Neil <ne...@parkwaycc.co.uk> wrote in message news:<1030011847.18319....@news.demon.co.uk>...
>
>>Sorry, this one is image= not src=
>>

>OK - changed it in both - is that correct?

I know it's confusing but <menuitem>s use src= and <toolbarbutton>s use
image= - navigator.xul should look something like this:

<toolbarbutton class="bookmark-item" uri="rdf:*" editable="true"

image="rdf:http://home.netscape.com/NC-rdf#Icon"
validate="never"
status="rdf:http://home.netscape.com/WEB-rdf#status"

<menuitem class="menuitem-iconic bookmark-item" uri="rdf:*"

src="rdf:http://home.netscape.com/NC-rdf#Icon"
validate="never"

status="rdf:http://home.netscape.com/WEB-rdf#status"

and navigatorOverlay.xul like this: