Mozilla Relicensing: Help Wanted

Gervase Markham

Mar 6, 2003, 3:58:09 AM3/6/03
As some of you may know, we have been working for a while to get Mozilla
relicensed under an MPL/LGPL/GPL disjunctive tri-license, in order that
Mozilla code can be used in more free software projects. There are free
software projects who want to use Mozilla code who currently can't due
to licensing issues. We have been gathering permissions from
contributors, the overwhelming majority of which have said Yes, and are
approaching the stage when we want to start relicensing bits of the
Mozilla source tree.

What we need is a script which can take a source file of some sort as
input and write out a correctly-licensed source file as output. We need
to be able to run this over a directory and have it change all the
correct files in it to have the correct license, in the right comments,
maintaining the list of contributors. Due to the number of variations in
formatting and commenting, this quite a challenge.

I am looking for someone competent in Perl, Python or their scripting
language of choice (needs to be available for Linux) to write this
script. There is an initial working implementation in Python which you
can either base your work on or use for ideas.

Please get in touch with me if you'd like to help with the relicensing
project, and think this description fits you. :-)

Gerv