Re: Say good bye soon to this newsgroup

Richmond

Mar 29, 2021, 7:34:47 AM3/29/21
Frank-Rainer Grahl <frg...@gmx.net> writes:

> Wonder if the old netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey group survives
> this.

We have to have a newsgroup because seamonkey is a usenet client among
other things.

Where do the posts on netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey come from? I can
see it on news.aioe.org maybe that is all it is. We should agree on a
place to move to before this group disappears.

Richmond

Mar 29, 2021, 7:46:00 AM3/29/21
alt.comp.apps.nntp looks a bit neglected.

frg

Mar 29, 2021, 11:44:27 AM3/29/21
Seems you can create an alt. group very quickly:

https://grahammitchell.com/usenet/newalt.html

FRG

Paul in Houston TX

Mar 29, 2021, 10:59:05 PM3/29/21
Yes, but getting news servers to carry it is a problem.

Ant

Mar 30, 2021, 1:16:40 AM3/30/21
I noticed this newsgroup exist in (Giga/Super)News. That has to stay alive after the shut down on news.mozilla.org, right?
--
It's March Madness (go USC Trojans!)! Stop the racisms, hates, discriminations, etc. please. Moderna dose #1's shot area is itchy and red again. :(
| |o o| |

Richmond

Mar 30, 2021, 1:46:45 PM3/30/21
a...@zimage.comANT (Ant) writes:

> In netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey Richmond <dnom...@gmx.com> wrote:
>> Frank-Rainer Grahl <frg...@gmx.net> writes:
>

>> > Wonder if the old netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey group survives
>> > this.
>> >

>> We have to have a newsgroup because seamonkey is a usenet client among
>> other things.
>
>> Where do the posts on netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey come from? I can
>> see it on news.aioe.org maybe that is all it is. We should agree on a
>> place to move to before this group disappears.
>
> I noticed this newsgroup exist in (Giga/Super)News. That has to stay alive after the shut down on news.mozilla.org, right?

I posted originally from news.aioe.org but my post seems to have
vanished from there. I think it doesn't keep them very long.

Andy Burns

Mar 30, 2021, 2:05:39 PM3/30/21
frg wrote:

> Seems you can create an alt. group very quickly:

Supposed to give it a week.

I've already got proposals "in" for alt.comp.software.firefox and
.thunderbird and .seamonkey (look in alt.config but please don't just
chime in with "me too") if you have anything else to say, then chime-up.

My question earlier, is given that n.p.m.seamonkey exists, should I
continue with an alt. group, or are seamonkey users happy with the
mozilla.* group?

frg

Mar 30, 2021, 3:03:43 PM3/30/21
For accuracy alt.comp.software.seamonkey is preferable. While the SeaMonkey
project still has some ties with mozilla these are cut piecemeal by both
sides. SeaMonkeys legal home is SeaMonkey e.V. formally and legally completely
independent from Mozilla.

FRG

Paul in Houston TX

Mar 30, 2021, 6:25:34 PM3/30/21
I would continue with a.c.s.seamonkey and leave it up to the posters to
decide which one gets more useful traffic. Alts tend to get quickly
infested with ads, trolls, and bots though.

Andy Burns

Mar 31, 2021, 4:06:21 AM3/31/21
Paul in Houston TX wrote:

> leave it up to the posters to decide which one gets more useful
> traffic.  Alts tend to get quickly infested with ads, trolls, and bots
> though.

yes, I only subscribe to a couple of alt groups, but they have their place.

FC

Mar 31, 2021, 5:10:22 PM3/31/21
Paul in Houston TX wrote:
What is wrong with this group?

Ralph Fox

Apr 2, 2021, 12:53:20 AM4/2/21
On Mon, 29 Mar 2021 12:34:29 +0100, Richmond wrote:

> We have to have a newsgroup because seamonkey is a usenet client among
> other things.
>
> Where do the posts on netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey come from?

Each poster posts to their own news server. For example, I am posting
via APN (Agent Usenet) which is a reseller of Easynews.

The news servers then exchange netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey posts
with each other through "peering" arrangements. The posts propogate
from one news server to another in this way.
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/News_server#Peering>

> I can
> see it on news.aioe.org maybe that is all it is.

I can see netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey on about half a dozen news
servers, and I am sure there are more.

--
Kind regards
Ralph

Andy Burns

Apr 2, 2021, 3:45:18 PM4/2/21
frg wrote:

> Seems you can create an alt. group very quickly:

Indeed the three new groups

alt.comp.software.firefox
alt.comp.software.thunderbird
alt.comp.software.seamonkey

have now been created, no doubt population around the various usenet
servers will be slow. At the moment they only exist on news.aioe.org
and one or two other servers, I've requested them on a few servers that
I use, but will request them on more servers over the next few days. If
they don't show up on servers that you use, feel free to request them there.

Treat the new groups as substitutes for

mozilla.support.firefox
mozilla.support.thunderbird
mozilla.support.seamonkey

Obviously it's up to SeaMonkey users whether they like it here in
netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey or want/need to move to the new group.

Clearly the new groups are not affiliated with Mozilla in any way, and
will provide user-to-user support, hoping to see familiar faces there,
play nice ...

frg

Apr 2, 2021, 5:34:05 PM4/2/21
Great thank you.

We will put alt.comp.software.seamonkey as a support source on the web page as
soon as a few servers have started carrying it.

Havy fun
FRG

Dirk Fieldhouse

Apr 3, 2021, 9:57:05 AM4/3/21
On 31/03/2021 22:10, FC wrote:
>... >
> What is wrong with this group?

Regular postings up to a few years ago informed us that
netscape.public.mozilla.seamonkey was created for an earky incarnation
of the Seamonkey project, and advised posters to use the mozilla.* group
instead.

For example, on 20/02/2011 13:39, Robert Kaiser wrote:

> This newsgroup was created for the original "Seamonkey project" of the
> newly-founded Netscape-driven mozilla.org project back in 1999.

As the mozilla.* groups will no longer be active, this rationale doesn't
seem to be valid now, but having either netscape or mozilla, let alone
both, in the name does make it unsuitable.

/df

--
London
UK

Andrew

Apr 3, 2021, 3:20:45 PM4/3/21
It would do as a temporary solution. Not ideal but a lot better than
the "nothing" we are being confronted with now.

frg

Apr 3, 2021, 8:13:08 PM4/3/21
alt.comp.software.seamonkey has been created. You can subscribe to it for free
via news.aioe.org.

SeaMonkey is, for some time now, no longer a mozilla product.

FRG