2003-03-26 - Summary of mozilla.org staff meeting

0 views
Skip to first unread message

Gervase Markham

unread,
Apr 4, 2003, 4:58:53 PM4/4/03
to st...@mozilla.org
2003-03-26 - Summary of mozilla.org staff meeting
-------------------------------------------------

Attending: Scott, Dan, Marcia, Asa, Mitchell, and Myk

*Mitchell in Germany*

- Mitchell went to Germany to talk to the OpenOffice folks.
- They are a vibrant group.
- They have many similarities to the Mozilla project, since it was also
launched by a single commercial vendor which contributes significant
resources.
- The project, with Sun's encouragement, is working on ways for the
community to have greater input into decision-making.

*Scott going to Carnegie-Mellon*

- Scott going to Carnegie-Mellon to talk about using Mozilla technology.

*1.3.1*

- MacOS X XPInstall functionality is now working.
- Asa tried a bunch of apps, extensions, and themes, and they all work.
- Asa is going to get Sean to apply the fixes to the 1.3 branch and then
get the builds going and released ASAP (f.e. next week).

*1.4 alpha*

- This week Asa is going to try a 1.4a release.
- He has been doing some build smoketesting and it looks good so far.
- twalker's smoketests passed.
- One top-crasher fix in cookie code is wanted; otherwise we can release
as soon as possible, possibly tomorrow.

New stuff in 1.4a:
- mostly just clean-up and fix-up from 1.3.
- Undo/redo in bookmarks
- improvements to pop-up blocking
- dynamic image and table resizing in composer
- smooth scrolling
- a few other small features or feature improvements

*GRE*

- 1.4 alpha will be using a shared GRE for Windows but not for Linux or
the Mac.
- The Mac build guys and the Camino guys are resisting using a GRE
because it doesn't allow for a static build and that degrades startup
perfomance a lot.
- Linux could happen sometime in the 1.4 cycle.

*Wednesday Talk at Open Government Conference*

- Several Mozilla talks: Stoltz, Boswell, Baker
- The talks were interesting but not well attended, probably because of
the war deadline.

*Sun's Module Requests*

- Some people from Sun want various statuses.
- Asa will ask Brendan and make the necessary changes in despot if he
approves.

(Summary by Myk)

Brant Langer Gurganus

unread,
Apr 4, 2003, 5:29:55 PM4/4/03
to
Gervase Markham wrote:

> - Mitchell went to Germany to talk to the OpenOffice folks.
> - They are a vibrant group.
> - They have many similarities to the Mozilla project, since it was also
> launched by a single commercial vendor which contributes significant
> resources.
> - The project, with Sun's encouragement, is working on ways for the
> community to have greater input into decision-making.

Cool, I'm in OpenOffice.org QA also. Gerv, the name is
OpenOffice.org, not OpenOffice. It is a trademark issue.

--
Brant Langer Gurganus
Default QA Contact, Calendar
Default QA Contact, Tech Evangelism

Henri Sivonen

unread,
Apr 8, 2003, 1:57:09 PM4/8/03
to
In article <3E8E001D...@mozilla.org>,
Gervase Markham <ge...@mozilla.org> wrote:

> *GRE*

> - The Mac build guys and the Camino guys are resisting using a GRE
> because it doesn't allow for a static build and that degrades startup
> perfomance a lot.

What Carbon vs. Cocoa implications does GRE have? Mozilla itself still
lives in the Carbon land, but Camino and AppMac's Gecko-based browsers
are Cocoa apps.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsiv...@iki.fi
http://www.iki.fi/hsivonen/
Mozilla Web Author FAQ: http://mozilla.org/docs/web-developer/faq.html

Bryan Welllnder

unread,
Apr 12, 2003, 11:25:24 PM4/12/03
to
Gervase Markham <ge...@mozilla.org> wrote in message news:<3E8E001D...@mozilla.org>...

Hi,
We do not need a 1.3.1 it is usless to have lets not have it.
It makes no since 1.4 alpha is out now.

Bryan Welllnder

unread,
Apr 12, 2003, 11:28:17 PM4/12/03
to
Gervase Markham <ge...@mozilla.org> wrote in message news:<3E8E001D...@mozilla.org>...

Hi,
Lets not have a 1.3.1 it does not have to happen bcause 1.4 alpha is out.
Thank You.

David Tenser

unread,
Apr 13, 2003, 8:34:58 AM4/13/03
to
On 2003-04-13 05:28 Bryan Welllnder wrote:
>
>
> Hi,
> Lets not have a 1.3.1 it does not have to happen bcause 1.4 alpha is out.
> Thank You.


1.4 alpha is not a final release, it's an alpha release! There is a
difference you know...

/ David

Gervase Markham

unread,
Apr 14, 2003, 6:47:56 AM4/14/03
to
> Hi,
> We do not need a 1.3.1 it is usless to have lets not have it.
> It makes no since 1.4 alpha is out now.

People on Mac OS X who want to run a stable version but also want to
install themes and XPIs would disagree with you there.

Gerv

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages