Unsupported - Requires FLASH!

1 view

Don Spam's Reckless Son

Apr 25, 2023, 5:38:07 AM4/25/23
I have just come across a site which requires Flash!
The actual message is "On this platform you need Adobe Flash player to
play this video stream" which could mean that it would work with Edge or
Chrome (or Safari).
When Flash was killed, someone omitted putting a stake through its heart.
https://www.ha.ax/om-hogskolan/webbkamera/

Nuno Silva

Apr 25, 2023, 8:44:11 AM4/25/23
It's inside an iframe, I've now been looking at

https://g0.ipcamlive.com/player/player.php?alias=5dbfd1852a60c

The code that creates the "video player" for this page/iframe does some
tests, and (among other things?) isHTML5Supported() returns false. I
wonder how is this test implemented, changing the UA to have only
Firefox makes it work...

Looking at another parts of a script which has that Flash message [0] I
see it uses "platform.js" [1] and that it is checking for "Firefox >
45". And indeed Firefox UAs greater than that show the video/stream,
smaller show the Flash message.

Checking the value of platform.name, "Identify as SeaMonkey and
advertise Firefox compatibility" probably does not work here because
platform.js then identifies the browser as SeaMonkey and that is what is
used when checking for Firefox.

[0] https://g0.ipcamlive.com/player/ipcamliveplayer.min.js?version=6
[1] https://github.com/bestiejs/platform.js/blob/master/platform.js

--
Nuno Silva

Don Spam's Reckless Son

Apr 25, 2023, 11:45:05 AM4/25/23
Thanks, luckily that's not a site I'm likely to be visiting again.
There was a recent bug which caused my Seamonkey to abort when playing
audio, and for that reason I had the "Enable Autoplay of HTML5 media
content" option disabled. A quick test showed that enabling that option
makes no difference.