xpt file path for scriptable plugins

Deep Beep

Mar 3, 2009, 4:20:06 PM3/3/09
Hi Guys
I am new to firefox plugin development. I need to write a scriptable
plugin to download and install an application from a website. This
behaviour would be similar to what Windows update website does using
IE. This plugin needs to be installed in a standard user (non admin)
mode.

I have successfully compiled and run the samples ( npbasic, and
npscriptable) provided with mozilla sources. I have a couple of
comments/questions regarding the location and access control required
to install plugins. My target platforms are Windows XP and Vista.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

1. As I understand, a simple (non-scriptable) plugin (dll format ) can
reside in the %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Plugins and need not to be copied to
%ProgramFiles%\Mozilla\Plugins. Doing this is sufficient for it to be
launched when the corresponding MIMETYPE object is encountered in the
html page. I have not yet looked at the installation method ( .xpi
archive, install.js ?) but I assume that this path can be set there.
In my experience doing this was enough and the plugin was displayed
correctly.

2. A scriptable plugin consists of two pieces, the plugin ( dll ) and
a xpt file containing the interface definitions. I have tried the
following:
a) Copied the npscriptable.dll to %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Plugins. If I
only do this step, firfox does not complain about a missing plugin but
but nothing happens when I click the "Show Version.." buttons.
( npscriptable example)
b) The plugin worked correctly if the xpt file is copied in
%ProgramFiles%\mozilla\components. My question is; Is there any
equivalent folder under %APPDATA%\Mozilla. I have tried copying the
xpt file under various subfolders of %APPDATA%\Mozilla\ but was unable
to make it work.

it just seems a bit odd that a scriptable plugin would required
administrative rights for installation. Am I missing a step. Do I need
to update some path in a configuration path so that firefox picks up
the xpt file from the user account etc. Please remember that I need to
install this as a standard user.

Thank you very much and appreciate all the effort.
-DeBeep

Deep Beep

Mar 4, 2009, 10:23:24 AM3/4/09
I found the problem ( a rather naive one :)). hope this is useful to
someone out there.

Copying both the dll and the corresponding xpt file in the %APPDATA%/
Mozilla\Plugins works fine. I needed to restart the browser. ( Just to
add that it didnot require deleting compreg.dat etc)