Mail pseudo-error - "Message Sent" + "Message Failed"

NewsName

Jan 26, 2004, 11:41:07 PM1/26/04
In a brand new XP system with Netscape 7.1, sending mail (not news)
results in the "delivering mail" window, followed soon after by a window
headed "Send Message Error" with text "Sending of Message Failed"
followed by an indication that the SMTP server refused to handle it.
BUT THE MESSAGE *IS* sent successfully! The "delivering message" window
ends up saying "Mail sent successfully", with the progress bar still
moving because the error message is still there.

Closing the error message window closes the "delivering" window also.
The message never goes into the "sent" folder, and closing the
composition window gives the "message has not been sent" msg, etc.

I've seen other messages referring to this problem, but have not been
able to find any answers.

Thank you.

NN

Christian Eyrich

Jan 27, 2004, 6:19:05 AM1/27/04
NewsName wrote:
> In a brand new XP system with Netscape 7.1, sending mail (not news)
> results in the "delivering mail" window, followed soon after by a window
> headed "Send Message Error" with text "Sending of Message Failed"
> followed by an indication that the SMTP server refused to handle it.
> BUT THE MESSAGE *IS* sent successfully! The "delivering message" window
> ends up saying "Mail sent successfully", with the progress bar still
> moving because the error message is still there.
>
> Closing the error message window closes the "delivering" window also.
> The message never goes into the "sent" folder, and closing the
> composition window gives the "message has not been sent" msg, etc.

I'm interested in seeing what is going on here. So I ask you to log the
communication when this error happens. See
http://www.mozilla.org/quality/mailnews/mail-troubleshoot.html#smtp for
how to do.

Christian

Tad Borek

Feb 3, 2004, 2:44:27 PM2/3/04
Christian Eyrich <VJBDON...@spammotel.com> wrote in message news:<bv5hfd$okoj2$1...@ID-205057.news.uni-berlin.de>...

Sorry to butt in, but I'm having the exact same error. NS7.1, XPHome,
NAV2004 (latter upgraded, then disabled, in attempt to address this
problem - no effect). DSL through a basic Netgear router using DHCP.
Router has static IP.

The messages do make it to the recipient, and the progress bar in the
background sometimes even shows "message sent". But the error dialog
says that the send failed b/c connecting to the SMTP server failed,
and the message does not copy to the sent folder.

I've created a new profile and the error occurs there as well. ISP
(SBC) claims innocence & I'm able to ping the server while the errors
are happening - and again, the msgs do go through.

Problem first occurred with flaky news postings, and moved to email,
though I don't know if the two are related. It's intermittent (up till
today anyway). Up till a few weeks ago I did have two identical SMTP
servers listed for some reason (only one set as default) and removed
one of them, though probs occurred before that. Attempts at
work-arounds: created new SMTP servers, edited the default one,
specified SMTP server for each mail account both by name and by
checking "use default", created a duplicate server & set it as
default. Several of these changes I did both through the standard
dialogs and through edits to prefs.js just to see if that
worked...none of these has helped.

Log file from one msg follows, appreciate any comments!

-Tad

0[264180]: SMTP Connecting to: mail.pacbell.net
0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264180]: SMTP Response: 220 mtaw6.prodigy.net ESMTP Sendmail 8.12.10
close 1msg/rcpt/8.12.10; Tue, 3 Feb 2004 11:16:33 -0800 (PST)
0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 14
0[264180]: SMTP Send: EHLO pacbell.net

0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264180]: SMTP Response: 250-mtaw6.prodigy.net Hello
adsl-216-102-69-42.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net [216.102.69.42], pleased to
meet you
0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264180]: SMTP Response: 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264180]: SMTP Response: 250-PIPELINING
0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264180]: SMTP Response: 250-8BITMIME
0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264180]: SMTP Response: 250-SIZE 10240000
0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264180]: SMTP Response: 250-DSN
0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264180]: SMTP Response: 250-DELIVERBY
0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264180]: SMTP Response: 250 HELP
0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 15
0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 21
0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 4
0[264180]: SMTP Send: MAIL FROM:<tadb...@pacbell.net>

0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264180]: SMTP Response: 250 2.1.0 <tadb...@pacbell.net>... Sender
ok
0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 6
0[264180]: SMTP Send: RCPT TO:<bor...@pacbell.net>

0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264180]: SMTP Response: 250 2.1.5 <bor...@pacbell.net>... Recipient
ok
0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 7
0[264180]: SMTP Send: DATA

0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264180]: SMTP Response: 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by
itself
0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 8
0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 9
0[264180]: SMTP Send:

.

0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264180]: SMTP Response: 250 2.0.0 i13JGX67010546 Message accepted
for delivery
0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 10
0[264180]: SMTP Send: QUIT

0[264180]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264180]: SMTP connection dropped after 500 total bytes read

Danny

Feb 5, 2004, 2:44:03 AM2/5/04
I am seeing this exact same problem on Netscape 7.1, Win2K. It started
happening about a week ago. I have used netscape mail for years without
this happening. As far as I know, I have not changed anything.

I have 2 mail accounts set up and it does it on both. I keep sending
people messages multiple times because I get fooled my the bogus message.

Anyone have any theories as to what is happening here?

Thanks,
-Danny

Eric Chevalier

Feb 5, 2004, 9:43:11 AM2/5/04
On 3 Feb 2004 11:44:27 -0800,
bor...@pacbell.net (Tad Borek) wrote:

>Sorry to butt in, but I'm having the exact same error. NS7.1, XPHome,
>NAV2004 (latter upgraded, then disabled, in attempt to address this
>problem - no effect). DSL through a basic Netgear router using DHCP.
>Router has static IP.
>
>The messages do make it to the recipient, and the progress bar in the
>background sometimes even shows "message sent". But the error dialog
>says that the send failed b/c connecting to the SMTP server failed,
>and the message does not copy to the sent folder.
>
>I've created a new profile and the error occurs there as well. ISP
>(SBC) claims innocence & I'm able to ping the server while the errors
>are happening - and again, the msgs do go through.

I'm experiencing this problem as well. Like you, I'm using an SBC mail
server (smtp.sbcglobal.com) and the problem seems to have cropped up
fairly recently, say within the last couple of weeks.

What I've discovered: after the mail message has been transmitted,
SBC's SMTP server sends a 250 response indicating acceptance of the
message. Then it *immediately* drops the connection before Netscape
has a chance to send a "QUIT" command.

(I discovered this behavior by telnetting into the SMTP server and
then hand-entering the appropriate SMTP commands to send a message. As
soon as I terminated the message with a line containing a single ".",
I received the 250 code and then saw the connection drop.)

I'm assuming this might be some sort of anti-spam action on the part
of SBC, an effort to prevent a spam factory from injecting a boatload
of mail on one TCP/IP connection to the server.

Eric

--
Eric Chevalier
www.tulsagrammer.com

Christian Eyrich

Feb 5, 2004, 11:14:44 AM2/5/04
Eric Chevalier wrote:

>>The messages do make it to the recipient, and the progress bar in the
>>background sometimes even shows "message sent". But the error dialog
>>says that the send failed b/c connecting to the SMTP server failed,
>>and the message does not copy to the sent folder.
>>
>>I've created a new profile and the error occurs there as well. ISP
>>(SBC) claims innocence & I'm able to ping the server while the errors
>>are happening - and again, the msgs do go through.
>
> I'm experiencing this problem as well. Like you, I'm using an SBC mail
> server (smtp.sbcglobal.com) and the problem seems to have cropped up
> fairly recently, say within the last couple of weeks.
>
> What I've discovered: after the mail message has been transmitted,
> SBC's SMTP server sends a 250 response indicating acceptance of the
> message. Then it *immediately* drops the connection before Netscape
> has a chance to send a "QUIT" command.
>
> (I discovered this behavior by telnetting into the SMTP server and
> then hand-entering the appropriate SMTP commands to send a message. As
> soon as I terminated the message with a line containing a single ".",
> I received the 250 code and then saw the connection drop.)
>
> I'm assuming this might be some sort of anti-spam action on the part
> of SBC, an effort to prevent a spam factory from injecting a boatload
> of mail on one TCP/IP connection to the server.

Ok, that affirms my suspicion.

In bug 232860 the reporter provided us with nearly the same description.
The patch for that bug has been checked in yesterday.
So I hope this problem is fixed in nightlies starting 20040205. Fell
free to test with such a build from
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/nightly/latest/ and
report here or in the bug if that works for you.

Christian

Eric Chevalier

Feb 5, 2004, 12:44:25 PM2/5/04
On Thu, 05 Feb 2004 17:14:44 +0100,
Christian Eyrich <VJBDON...@spammotel.com> wrote:

>Ok, that affirms my suspicion.
>
>In bug 232860 the reporter provided us with nearly the same description.
>The patch for that bug has been checked in yesterday.
>So I hope this problem is fixed in nightlies starting 20040205. Fell
>free to test with such a build from
>http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/nightly/latest/ and
>report here or in the bug if that works for you.

I may have to defer testing of that patch to someone else; I'm running
Netscape 7.1, not Mozilla. Although this may be a good time to give
Mozilla a test drive! :-)

Thanks for your update.

Tad Borek

Feb 5, 2004, 1:24:38 PM2/5/04
Eric Chevalier wrote:
> I'm experiencing this problem as well. Like you, I'm using an SBC mail
> server (smtp.sbcglobal.com) and the problem seems to have cropped up
> fairly recently, say within the last couple of weeks.
>
> What I've discovered: after the mail message has been transmitted,
> SBC's SMTP server sends a 250 response indicating acceptance of the
> message. Then it *immediately* drops the connection before Netscape
> has a chance to send a "QUIT" command.
>
> I'm assuming this might be some sort of anti-spam action on the part
> of SBC, an effort to prevent a spam factory from injecting a boatload
> of mail on one TCP/IP connection to the server.

Eric,
I spent a good 4 hours on the phone with Bangalore...uh...SBC and
Netscape support, both pointing the finger at the other. [Would you
believe SBC support "can't receive email" to look at a log file?]

SBC finally admitted that they made some changes to their SMTP servers
in the time frame that we've seen these errors (including my old one,
mail.pacbell.net). Now they're not working with NS7.1. It may be
spam-related, I'm not clear on that. The "engineers are looking into it"
and in the meantime they have set up this temporary SMTP server that
should work - it has for me:

smtpauth.sbcglobal.net

check off "use name/pwd", and type in your full username (as
user...@domain.xxx). As before check "Never" use SSL.

Apparently those using Mozilla 1.6 don't see the problem, based on
chatter on n.p.m.mail-news.

The SBC technician said that we may stay with this server indefinitely,
it may revert to the old settings, or might go to something different.
We won't be notified so if it works for awhile then fails you might try
the old settings.

Hope that helps, and when you're ready to storm the gates at SBC I'm
right there with you. It might be helpful if you log a complaint via
their web site because they kept playing "we don't support NS, it's a NS
problem" until NS support logged a bunch of calls from SBC domains. The
more complaints they get, the higher the priority to solve it.

-Tad

PS if you call and they say they don't support NS7.1 point them to this
page:
http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/sbc/mail/pop/pop-11.html

M Cowperthwaite

Feb 5, 2004, 2:12:12 PM2/5/04
Christian Eyrich wrote:

Christian, was this a long-standing bug or a recent regression? One of
the computers in this house is running Mozilla 1.4 and recently started
putting up this error while going thru Prodigy's SMTP server.

Could something have changed net-wide on SMTP servers?

--
Michael Cowperthwaite

To send mail, remove 'Z's from the poster's email address.

Ed Mullen

Feb 5, 2004, 2:27:58 PM2/5/04

I haven't been following this thread too closely so forgive me if I'm
off-base here. Looking at the sbc help page referenced above ...

1. At the very top it says "The SBC Yahoo! Mail SMTP server requires
authentication."

2. Under Incredimail it says "Under Outgoing Mail Server, check the box
next to "My Server Requires Authentication.""

3. Under Netscape it says to uncheck using SSL on the outgoing server
configuration.

This seems to be leaving out something.

In preferences you can set authentication for the POP3 Mail Server under
each mail account. Edit - Prefs - Mail&News Acct Settings - Server
Settings (under each account). This is different from the SSL setting
for the outgoing SMTP server described in the sbc/yahoo help page.

Just wondering.

--
Ed Mullen - Mozilla Champion
http://edmullen.net/moz.html

Tad Borek

Feb 5, 2004, 2:58:23 PM2/5/04

Christian,
I don't know if this is helpful, but here's a log file from a successful
send via the alternate SMTP server. This is the server that SBC is
pointing us to temporarily while they look at the problem on their end.
Msg was sent from the same PC as the prior log file I posted.

-Tad

0[264188]: SMTP Connecting to: smtpauth.sbcglobal.net
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264188]: SMTP Response: 220 smtpauth2-ext.prodigy.net ESMTP Sendmail
8.12.10 auth mps/8.12.10; Thu, 5 Feb 2004 14:46:36 -0500
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 14
0[264188]: SMTP Send: EHLO pacbell.net

0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264188]: SMTP Response: 250-smtpauth2-ext.prodigy.net Hello

adsl-216-102-69-42.dsl.snfc21.pacbell.net [216.102.69.42], pleased to
meet you

0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264188]: SMTP Response: 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264188]: SMTP Response: 250-PIPELINING
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264188]: SMTP Response: 250-8BITMIME
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264188]: SMTP Response: 250-SIZE
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264188]: SMTP Response: 250-DSN
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264188]: SMTP Response: 250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264188]: SMTP Response: 250-DELIVERBY
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264188]: SMTP Response: 250 HELP
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 15
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 21
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 16
0[264188]: Logging suppressed for this command (it probably contained
authentication information)
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264188]: SMTP Response: 235 2.0.0 OK Authenticated
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 18
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 4
0[264188]: SMTP Send: MAIL FROM:<tadb...@pacbell.net>

0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264188]: SMTP Response: 250 2.1.0 <tadb...@pacbell.net>... Sender ok
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 6
0[264188]: SMTP Send: RCPT TO:<bor...@pacbell.net>

0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264188]: SMTP Response: 250 2.1.5 <bor...@pacbell.net>... Recipient ok
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 7
0[264188]: SMTP Send: DATA

0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264188]: SMTP Response: 354 Enter mail, end with "." on a line by itself
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 8
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 9
0[264188]: SMTP Send:

.

0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264188]: SMTP Response: 250 2.0.0 i15Jka4A1124532 Message accepted for
delivery
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 10
0[264188]: SMTP Send: QUIT

0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 0
0[264188]: SMTP Response: 221 2.0.0 smtpauth2-ext.prodigy.net closing
connection
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 11
0[264188]: SMTP entering state: 13

Christian Eyrich

Feb 5, 2004, 4:04:42 PM2/5/04
Eric Chevalier wrote:
>>In bug 232860 the reporter provided us with nearly the same description.
>>The patch for that bug has been checked in yesterday.
>>So I hope this problem is fixed in nightlies starting 20040205. Fell
>>free to test with such a build from
>>http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/mozilla/nightly/latest/ and
>>report here or in the bug if that works for you.
>
> I may have to defer testing of that patch to someone else; I'm running
> Netscape 7.1, not Mozilla. Although this may be a good time to give
> Mozilla a test drive! :-)
>
> Thanks for your update.

From your comment in the bug it seems you gave it a test drive now. I'm
glad it works for you.

Christian

Christian Eyrich

Feb 5, 2004, 4:13:41 PM2/5/04
M Cowperthwaite wrote:

Not recent, the bug (it's not really one, just a to strong
interpretation of the SMTP protocol) is in since end of April (bug 200647).

> Could something have changed net-wide on SMTP servers?

SBC seems to be one of the bigger players and at least pacbell also uses
their system. I doubt it's a net-wide thing.

Christian

aekalman

Feb 5, 2004, 11:34:34 PM2/5/04
Just another datum point from a Mozilla user ... My email accounts
(Eudora in both cases, on Windows and Mac, sorry, not using Mozilla
for mail) both started exhibiting this behavior a few days ago, to the
point where I can only send a single message at a time. No changes
were made on my end -- it just started happening.

Will try the alternate smtp server ...

--Andrew