Direkt zur ersten ungelesenen Nachricht

NewB

ungelesen,
15.09.2003, 16:29:5015.09.03
an
http://www.mozilla.org/start/1.0/faq/troubleshooting.html#zone-alarm

10.16. I have ZoneAlarm installed and it thinks Mozilla is doing funny
business!

" When Mozilla access a secure site or mail server, it needs to
access Personal Security Manager (PSM), but ZoneAlarm mistakens the
internal communication as an attempt to set up a local server. If you
are prompt about this, you may safely grant Mozilla access. If you
have mistakenly denied Mozilla access and now Mozilla is not working
properly, follow the following steps:

1. Open ZoneAlarm’s Programs tab and find MOZILLA.EXE.
2. Under Allow connect, make sure both Local and Internet have
check marks next to them (left-most position)
3. Under Allow server, make sure that Local has a check mark
next to it and that Internet has an X next to it (middle position).
10.17. I have Password Manager enabled but my password for
Yahoo (or some other) site is not remembered.

These sites have opted out of the Password Manager"
=============

I am not using zonealarm, but kerio personal firewall under win98.

With something like this in my windows HOSTS file:

127.0.0.1 www.win1234.com ,

when I start up mozilla, why does it automatically try to do this?:

'Mozilla' from your computer wants to connect to www.win1234.com
[127.0.0.1], port 3056(?)

I have start up directed to a 'blank page' so there is no issue with a
'secure site or mail server' that I can see.

I cleared my HOSTS list to eliminate www.win1234.com and all other
entries and rebooted. Now mozilla does this when I run it:

'Mozilla' from your computer wants to connect to localhost
[127.0.0.1], port 1036

Why on start does mozilla try to make connections on its own, without
user interaction?

Pascal Chevrel

ungelesen,
15.09.2003, 16:34:3815.09.03
an
Le 15/09/2003 22:29, NewB a écrit :

> Why on start does mozilla try to make connections on its own, without
> user interaction?

Mozilla is communicating with the its Personal Security Manager module
(an independent module which allows you to visit https wites), your
firewall intercepts this call.

Pascal

--
FAQ Mozilla/Netscape 7 en français : http://pascal.chevrel.free.fr/
Foros Mozilla en español : http://pascal.chevrel.free.fr/mozilla

NewB

ungelesen,
15.09.2003, 16:58:3415.09.03
an
On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 22:34:38 +0200, Pascal Chevrel
<pascal.chev...@free.fr> opined in
netscape.public.mozilla.mail-news:

>Le 15/09/2003 22:29, NewB a écrit :
>
>> Why on start does mozilla try to make connections on its own, without
>> user interaction?
>
>Mozilla is communicating with the its Personal Security Manager module
>(an independent module which allows you to visit https wites), your
>firewall intercepts this call.
>
>Pascal

but why does it need to do this when I have not tried to connect to
any site, let alone a secured https site?

And why did it use a reference from my HOSTS list? weird science.

Matthias Versen

ungelesen,
15.09.2003, 17:03:0815.09.03
an
NewB wrote:

> I am not using zonealarm, but kerio personal firewall under win98.

good choice !

> With something like this in my windows HOSTS file:
>
> 127.0.0.1 www.win1234.com ,
>
> when I start up mozilla, why does it automatically try to do this?:
>
> 'Mozilla' from your computer wants to connect to www.win1234.com
> [127.0.0.1], port 3056(?)
>
> I have start up directed to a 'blank page' so there is no issue with a
> 'secure site or mail server' that I can see.
>
> I cleared my HOSTS list to eliminate www.win1234.com and all other
> entries and rebooted. Now mozilla does this when I run it:
>
> 'Mozilla' from your computer wants to connect to localhost
> [127.0.0.1], port 1036
>
> Why on start does mozilla try to make connections on its own, without
> user interaction?

Mozilla creates 2 loopback connections to communicate with an internal
component (PSM). Loopback means 127.0.0.1 = you can't access this
connection from outside your system and Mozilla can't access something
outside your system with a connection on loopback.

For example from my german win2k :
Proto Lokale Adresse Remoteadresse Status
TCP 127.0.0.1:2584 127.0.0.1:2585 HERGESTELLT
TCP 127.0.0.1:2585 127.0.0.1:2584 HERGESTELLT

It's Kerios fault in the first case. It sees a 127.0.0.1 connection and
it tries to find a name for this IP and it finds the name via the
hostfile but that's wrong because 127.0.0.1 is always loopback.

There is no security problem.
Matthias

--
Please delete everything between "matti" and the "@" in my mail address.

David Fraser

ungelesen,
16.09.2003, 06:35:2216.09.03
an
Matthias Versen wrote:
> Mozilla creates 2 loopback connections to communicate with an internal
> component (PSM). Loopback means 127.0.0.1 = you can't access this
> connection from outside your system and Mozilla can't access something
> outside your system with a connection on loopback.

Why does PSM need to set up a network connection for communications?
Isn't there a better way to do this?

David

Neil

ungelesen,
16.09.2003, 07:21:0316.09.03
an
David Fraser wrote:

I guess it's the most portable way...

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.

Michael Lefevre

ungelesen,
16.09.2003, 10:41:3416.09.03
an
In article <cprbmvs3mqq9oqaeg...@4ax.com>, NewB wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 22:34:38 +0200, Pascal Chevrel
> <pascal.chev...@free.fr> opined in
> netscape.public.mozilla.mail-news:
>
>>Le 15/09/2003 22:29, NewB a écrit :
>>
>>> Why on start does mozilla try to make connections on its own, without
>>> user interaction?
>>
>>Mozilla is communicating with the its Personal Security Manager module
>>(an independent module which allows you to visit https wites), your
>>firewall intercepts this call.
>
> but why does it need to do this when I have not tried to connect to
> any site, let alone a secured https site?

Why not? It's quite normal for programs to load and initialise a whole
bunch of stuff when you start them up.

> And why did it use a reference from my HOSTS list? weird science.

It (Mozilla) didn't - Mozilla was just communicating with 127.0.0.1 - I
guess that your personal firewall is using the HOSTS file to translate
that number into a name, and because you have bogus entries in there
(intended to work in the other direction, of course), it pulls out a name.
Is that the first or last name in the file? Try putting:
127.0.0.1 localhost
in there first or last - that would give you a more accurate report.

--
Michael

Allen antworten
Dem Autor antworten