Rendering Question

damoe

Sep 18, 2002, 10:08:23 PM9/18/02
When I run Mozilla on an old, slow Mac (9500, 233Mhz 604e) the fact that
it renders offscreen and then blits onscreen really slows down scrolling
as compared to NS 4.7. Is there any way to change this (a config
setting or compile flag) so that rendering is done directly to screen?

Mike Pinkerton

Sep 19, 2002, 3:06:51 PM9/19/02

there is a compile flag in nsViewManager to tell it not to use
double-buffering. A word of warning, you'll see lots of ugliness ;)

--
Mike Pinkerton
Mac Browser Weenie

damoe

Sep 22, 2002, 2:53:45 PM9/22/02
Mike Pinkerton wrote:
> damoe wrote:
>
>> When I run Mozilla on an old, slow Mac (9500, 233Mhz 604e) the fact
>> that it renders offscreen and then blits onscreen really slows down
>> scrolling as compared to NS 4.7. Is there any way to change this (a
>> config setting or compile flag) so that rendering is done directly to
>> screen?
>>

> there is a compile flag in nsViewManager to tell it not to use
> double-buffering. A word of warning, you'll see lots of ugliness ;)

Thanks for the info. The speed boost is great and I will gladly trade a
bit of screen flashing for it!

By the way, when I did the build as per www.mozilla.org/build/mac.html I
ran into one problem that wasn't mentioned and was a little tricky to
resolve. The build failed while linking _NSStdLib.mcp as some symbols
didn't get resolved. It turns out that the real failure occurred a few
projects back in _Interface.mcp when it was linking in the
ContextualMenu library. It looks like CW didn't like the fact that
there were two PEF containers in the library (68k, PPC) and so wrote out
a truncated InterfaceLib. I sliced and diced the ContextualMenu lib up
and things were fine.

Assuming my situation is not atypical, perhaps a note should be made in
the build instructions.