Yearly OS 9 ping

ruf...@gmail.com

Nov 14, 2006, 11:51:08 AM11/14/06
Annual OS 9 build ping:

* Is there any particular reason there isn't a single schmoe out there
willing to build newer Mozillas/SeaMonkeys for OS 9?
* How difficult would it be to create a build from newer source using
the old-school build instructions? (I don't have CodeWarrior, or I'd
start setting things up; looking to get talked out of wasting my time.
Here's one version of the ancient build instructions:
http://tinyurl.com/ydgqwg ) That is, are there updates to
Moz/Seamonkey that would make the old build obsolete in some
unretrievable fashion?
* Any way to build using solely MPW, the Macintosh Programmers'
Workshop, even with older versions? (MPW is free.)
* Any hints on how to target the minimum subset of the renderer (Gecko)
and build on OS 9?

I know, I know, there's no way it's rationally worth putting any time
into Moz on OS 9, but if what's missing is somebody with a fast Mac
willing to throw away a weekend once or twice a year (past the week or
two of going insane setting up a build environment) to allow what's
still a nontrivial number of OS 9- users to have access to a decent
browser beyond iCab, I'm game.

Guessing it's more than that, though. Tell me what and why, and I'll
go away for at least a year. ;^)

TIA,

Ruffin Bailey

D.F. Manno

Nov 16, 2006, 4:22:22 PM11/16/06
In article <1163523068.5...@h54g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
ruf...@gmail.com wrote:

> Annual OS 9 build ping:
>
> * Is there any particular reason there isn't a single schmoe out there
> willing to build newer Mozillas/SeaMonkeys for OS 9?

Well, in my case it's because I can't program anything more advanced than a VCR.
--
D.F. Manno | dfm...@mail.com
Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it

Leonidas Jones

Nov 3, 2009, 11:33:43 PM11/3/09

I would love to see it happen, but there has been nothing since WamComm.
I just don't have the expertise to do it.

ee