M12 German translation finished!

2 views
Skip to first unread message

Robert Kaiser

unread,
Dec 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/31/99
to
Hi,

I just finished M12 German translation 2 hours before Y2K starts here.
Cool.

Anybody who wants to have M12-win32 or de-AT language pack via e-mail,
please post a message or send me a mail.

Should I mail this all to someone special to be announced at the
"localizing Mozilla" page? Tao?

Robert Kaiser

P.S.: Sorry but I don't have access to an ftp server to upload those
files....


Robert Kaiser

unread,
Jan 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/1/00
to
Sorry, I forgot to tell which files are available and their sizes.

There are actually three files available:

Mozilla M12 German for win32 (zip) - 6 MB
German Language Pack in "locale/en-US" folders (zip) - 145 KB
German Language Pack in "locale/de-AT" folders (zip) - 145 KB

Note:
In M12, there is no other possibility than overwriting the files in
"en-US" folders (make sure to make copies of them - if you want to
switch back to English anytime!)
In the future, there should (and will) be the chance to use each
language in its own folder (ie. "de-AT").


Tao Cheng

unread,
Jan 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/1/00
to Robert Kaiser

Robert Kaiser wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I just finished M12 German translation 2 hours before Y2K starts here.
> Cool.
>

Excellent!

> Anybody who wants to have M12-win32 or de-AT language pack via e-mail,
> please post a message or send me a mail.
>
> Should I mail this all to someone special to be announced at the
> "localizing Mozilla" page? Tao?

Please submit the language pack to me. I shall post it to the
"Localizing
Mozilla" page and check them into CVS tree later on. In the future,
we'll
locate a FTP server for downloading.

Happy Millennium!!

-Tao

>
> Robert Kaiser
>
> P.S.: Sorry but I don't have access to an ftp server to upload those
> files....

--
o-------------------------------------------o
| All my opinions are mine; not Netscape's. |
o-------------------------------------------o

Christian

unread,
Jan 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/1/00
to
Hi!

Robert Kaiser wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I just finished M12 German translation 2 hours before Y2K starts here.
> Cool.
>

Great job!

However, I have a few suggestions I'd like to discuss here, perhaps with
some input from other German users or foreign translators.

1) You translated "Link" as "Verknüpfung". While this is conform with
the NS 4.x translation, isn't the term "link" widely known by now, so
that a translation is unneccessary? I think the terms "Verknüpfung",
"Verknüpfungsadresse" etc. are somewhat clumsy and don't have the same
"connotations" (if one may call it so) as "link" does.
In general, we should spend some thought on which WWW-terms we should
translate and which should stay untouched("Bookmarks", "History",
"Wallet", "Mail", "News", etc).

2)There are several translated terms which are considerably longer than
the original English ones, so that it destroys the layout. This is
especially apparent in the Pref-Panel. I know that Mozilla isn't final
yet, and so is the Pref-panel, but this issue will probably pop up later
too. We should better find a solution for this sooner than later.

3)The bookmakrs. Should the bookmarks be the same for all languages? I
don't necessarily mean the only contents, but also the naming. See
"Personal Toolbar Folder", for example. While the content could be same,
at least the name of the folder ought to be translated. This isn't
possible with the current Bookmark implementation, is it?

Robert Kaiser

unread,
Jan 2, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/2/00
to
The files are available for download now!

http://abstracts.de/mozilla

Thanks to Johannes Posel (joha...@phon.net) !!!


Robert Kaiser


Tao Cheng

unread,
Jan 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/3/00
to Christian
Christian wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> Robert Kaiser wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just finished M12 German translation 2 hours before Y2K starts here.
> > Cool.
> >
>
> Great job!
>
> However, I have a few suggestions I'd like to discuss here, perhaps with
> some input from other German users or foreign translators.
>
> 1) You translated "Link" as "Verknüpfung". While this is conform with
> the NS 4.x translation, isn't the term "link" widely known by now, so
> that a translation is unneccessary? I think the terms "Verknüpfung",
> "Verknüpfungsadresse" etc. are somewhat clumsy and don't have the same
> "connotations" (if one may call it so) as "link" does.
> In general, we should spend some thought on which WWW-terms we should
> translate and which should stay untouched("Bookmarks", "History",
> "Wallet", "Mail", "News", etc).

>
> 2)There are several translated terms which are considerably longer than
> the original English ones, so that it destroys the layout. This is
> especially apparent in the Pref-Panel. I know that Mozilla isn't final
> yet, and so is the Pref-panel, but this issue will probably pop up later
> too. We should better find a solution for this sooner than later.

Good point!

In fact, we're requesting XUL writers to externalize localizable
resources such as font (name, size) and widget geometry settings so that
they can be localized.


>
> 3)The bookmakrs. Should the bookmarks be the same for all languages? I
> don't necessarily mean the only contents, but also the naming.


> See
> "Personal Toolbar Folder", for example. While the content could be same,
> at least the name of the folder ought to be translated. This isn't
> possible with the current Bookmark implementation, is it?

Yes, those bookmark titles and folder names shal be localizable.


Good comments!


-Tao

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages