plan and procedure for official localized Thunderbird 1.0

0 views
Skip to first unread message

Asa Dotzler

unread,
Dec 3, 2004, 5:53:01 PM12/3/04
to mlp-...@mozilla.org
This document outlines the plans and steps for getting localized
Thunderbird 1.0 builds included in the Thunderbird 1.0 official release
directory on FTP and getting onto the 1.0 CD.

The schedule (All times PST):

*Sunday or Monday morning Thunderbird 1.0 Release build certified and
announced to n.p.m.l10n.
*Monday night into Tuesday morning localized versions and the en-US
Thunderbird 1.0 will be made available on FTP.
*Tuesday morning, 9am, the official 1.0 press releases happen.
*(tentative) Friday morning, 9am , CD certification begins and chase
needs to have all localized builds that will be included on the CD.
*(tentative) Friday evening, 5PM CD certification completed.
*(tentative) Monday CD image sent to manufacture.

The process:

We realize that this is a tight schedule and we will help out however we
are able to ensure that you all can get your Thunderbird 1.0 builds
released and included on the CD.

Official localized builds will need to be created from the certified
Thunderbird 1.0 Release build. This should be available on Sunday or
Monday and we'll post an announcement to the n.p.m.l10n newsgroup as
soon as the build is certified. We realize that's a short window of time
to be part of the simultaneous release but it does give most of the week
to get localizations completed for inclusion on the CD.

If you are making any changes to the build other than localizing, we'll
need you to include an explanation of the changes (for example, bi-di
theme changes.) The plan is that Mozilla QA will do a binary diff
between the official en-US and the localized build to make sure that no
non-localization changes were made. Help us complete this faster and get
the builds posted faster by telling us if you've made any non-standard
changes. We will happily evaluate exceptions and make allowances for
some necessary changes.

To be a part of the "simultaneous" 1.0 release, localizers will need to
deliver working builds to Mozilla before Tuesday morning, 9am. The
process for delivering these will be to post to n.p.m.l10n and cc:
c...@mozilla.org and a...@mozilla.org. Include in that posting a link to
the location of your localized build(s), information about any
non-standard changes you've made to the build, and any other information
that will help us to more quickly test and post the builds. I will test
the builds and give Chase the OK to post them to FTP as soon as possible.

We will continue to accept localized builds for inclusion in the
official releases directory on FTP for some time, however, to be
included on the 1.0 CD, we will need to receive your working builds by
9am on Friday.

Mozilla QA will be evaluating the builds to make sure that no other
changes were made and that they launch and basic window operations are
functional. We'll be counting on you all to do the actual translation
and functional testing before you deliver the builds to us. If we find
problems with the builds, we will file bugs and let that localization
team know why the build was not acceptable.

We would like to release each localization on at least Windows, Mac, and
Linux, but we understand that many of you do not have the resources to
localize Thunderbird 1.0 for all platforms so we will be accepting
localizations for individual platforms if that's all that is available.

Please let me know if you have any questions about how to be included
with the Thunderbird release and 1.0 CD.

Thanks,

Asa

Jeferson Hultmann

unread,
Dec 4, 2004, 5:32:21 PM12/4/04
to
Hi,

> If you are making any changes to the build other than localizing, we'll
> need you to include an explanation of the changes (for example, bi-di
> theme changes.) The plan is that Mozilla QA will do a binary diff
> between the official en-US and the localized build to make sure that no
> non-localization changes were made. Help us complete this faster and get
> the builds posted faster by telling us if you've made any non-standard
> changes. We will happily evaluate exceptions and make allowances for
> some necessary changes.


What about GPL dictionaries?
http://groups.google.com/groups?q=dictionaries&hl=pt-BR&lr=&group=netscape.public.mozilla.l10n&c2coff=1&selm=cgpvh5%24dqa2%40ripley.netscape.com

I think they won't be allowed. May I change Mail Start Page in order
to include a link to download it?


--Jeferson

Mad Maks

unread,
Dec 5, 2004, 6:30:39 AM12/5/04
to Asa Dotzler, mlp-...@mozilla.org
Asa Dotzler schreef:

> This document outlines the plans and steps for getting localized
> Thunderbird 1.0 builds included in the Thunderbird 1.0 official release
> directory on FTP and getting onto the 1.0 CD.
>
> The schedule (All times PST):
>
> *Sunday or Monday morning Thunderbird 1.0 Release build certified and
> announced to n.p.m.l10n.
> *Monday night into Tuesday morning localized versions and the en-US
> Thunderbird 1.0 will be made available on FTP.
> *Tuesday morning, 9am, the official 1.0 press releases happen.
> *(tentative) Friday morning, 9am , CD certification begins and chase
> needs to have all localized builds that will be included on the CD.
> *(tentative) Friday evening, 5PM CD certification completed.
> *(tentative) Monday CD image sent to manufacture.
>
> The process:
>
> We realize that this is a tight schedule and we will help out however we
> are able to ensure that you all can get your Thunderbird 1.0 builds
> released and included on the CD.
>
> Official localized builds will need to be created from the certified
> Thunderbird 1.0 Release build. This should be available on Sunday or
> Monday and we'll post an announcement to the n.p.m.l10n newsgroup as
> soon as the build is certified. We realize that's a short window of time
> to be part of the simultaneous release but it does give most of the week
> to get localizations completed for inclusion on the CD.
>
If i make a langpack, can you build a mac version?

greetings

MM

Asa Dotzler

unread,
Dec 6, 2004, 2:58:20 PM12/6/04
to mlp-...@mozilla.org
Asa Dotzler wrote:
> This document outlines the plans and steps for getting localized
> Thunderbird 1.0 builds included in the Thunderbird 1.0 official release
> directory on FTP and getting onto the 1.0 CD.
>
> The schedule (All times PST):
>
> *Sunday or Monday morning Thunderbird 1.0 Release build certified and
> announced to n.p.m.l10n.

Step 1 complete :)

This morning's Thunderbird builds have been tested and certified as 1.0
bits.

The bits you should grab to localize are here:
Windows:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/nightly/2004-12-06-07-0.9/
Linux:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/nightly/2004-12-06-04-0.9/
Mac:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/nightly/2004-12-06-02-0.9/

Chase will be creating the tag, packaging up the builds and getting them
staged for release tomorrow.

When you've completed your localizations, please post to this newsgroup
with a link to your build and chase will grab it for our testing cycle.

We will be doing a quick binary diff to ensure that no non-localization
changes were made, so if you've made changes (like bi-di theme changes,
etc.) that fall outside of the normal localized files, please note that
when you post the link to your build.

In addition to the quick file check, Mozilla QA (me, marcia, sairuh,
tracy, and hopefully some others) will be doing a quick check to make
sure that the application starts and that there are no obvious pieces of
broken UI. This is not a translation quality evaluation, nor a full
functional test run, just a basic smoketest to ensure the bits start and
the major interface components are localized not obviously broken.

If you have any questions, please let me know.

--Asa

Henrik Lynggaard

unread,
Dec 6, 2004, 4:13:24 PM12/6/04
to
Asa Dotzler wrote:
major interface components are localized not obviously broken.
>
> If you have any questions, please let me know.


Why is it so urgent to rush this release ?.

- If it is just another milestone as some developers claim, then why
the rush ?

- If this is the big 1.0 release, just as firefox's 1.0, then why is it
treated like a secons rate product and not given the proper release
cycle including l10n work ?

best regards
henrik

Zbigniew Braniecki

unread,
Dec 6, 2004, 9:57:58 PM12/6/04
to
Asa Dotzler napisał(a):

>> *Sunday or Monday morning Thunderbird 1.0 Release build certified and
>> announced to n.p.m.l10n.
>
>
> Step 1 complete :)

It's Monday - 18:00 PST time. As far as I understood Your last post we
have to deliver localized Thunderbird 1.0 builds to Tuesday - 09:00 PST
to get on CD.
It's incredibly small amount of time to get this done! Is that possible
to get one additional day and deliver working Tb 1.0 for Wensday 09:00 PST?

It would give us one full day to work on Tb 1.0, test it and do internal
QA. Also i'm sure (look at Pascal's post) that this would give a chance
to many l10n teams to get Tb 1.0 done for CD.

Greetings
Zbigniew Braniecki
--

AviaryPL

Asa Dotzler

unread,
Dec 6, 2004, 9:14:15 PM12/6/04
to Zbigniew Braniecki
Zbigniew Braniecki wrote:
> Asa Dotzler napisał(a):
>
>>> *Sunday or Monday morning Thunderbird 1.0 Release build certified and
>>> announced to n.p.m.l10n.
>>
>>
>>
>> Step 1 complete :)
>
>
> It's Monday - 18:00 PST time. As far as I understood Your last post we
> have to deliver localized Thunderbird 1.0 builds to Tuesday - 09:00 PST
> to get on CD.

No, I'm sorry if I was unclear but this is not the case. You have until
Friday morning to get on the CD.

--Asa

Mark Tyndall

unread,
Dec 7, 2004, 4:41:30 AM12/7/04
to
Asa Dotzler wrote:
[...]

> Step 1 complete :)
>
> This morning's Thunderbird builds have been tested and certified as 1.0
> bits.
>
> The bits you should grab to localize are here:
> Windows:
> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/nightly/2004-12-06-07-0.9/
>
> Linux:
> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/nightly/2004-12-06-04-0.9/
>
> Mac:
> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/nightly/2004-12-06-02-0.9/

Err, they all 404.
I did see
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/releases/1.0/
- will that do?


Mark..
--
British English localisations of:
Mozilla Suite <http://www.tyndall.org.uk/moz_en-gb.html>
Firefox <http://www.tyndall.org.uk/fb_en-gb.html>
Thunderbird <http://www.tyndall.org.uk/tb_en-gb.html>

Adam Hauner

unread,
Dec 7, 2004, 4:59:45 AM12/7/04
to
Mark Tyndall wrote:
> Err, they all 404.
> I did see
> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/releases/1.0/
> - will that do?

You should try this FTP:
ftp://ftp26moz.newaol.com/pub/mozilla.org/thunderbird/releases/1.0/


--
Adam Hauner
Projekt CZilla
http://www.czilla.cz/
http://firefox.czilla.cz/

Gervase Markham

unread,
Dec 7, 2004, 6:12:56 AM12/7/04
to

Nope, sorry. It's certainly not clear that bundling a GPL dictionary
with our code counts as "mere aggregation".

> I think they won't be allowed. May I change Mail Start Page in order
> to include a link to download it?

I can't answer that one.

Gerv

Asa Dotzler

unread,
Dec 7, 2004, 11:31:12 AM12/7/04
to Gervase Markham

Yes, you may add a link to the start page to a site hosting the GPL
dictionary and still call it an official build. Because we don't have
all of the localization infrastructure in place yet (localizations from
CVS) we're making some exceptions to the policy. Please ask if you have
further questions. Thanks.

--Asa

Asa Dotzler

unread,
Dec 7, 2004, 7:31:33 PM12/7/04
to mlp-...@mozilla.org
Asa Dotzler wrote:
> This document outlines the plans and steps for getting localized
> Thunderbird 1.0 builds included in the Thunderbird 1.0 official release
> directory on FTP and getting onto the 1.0 CD.
>
> The schedule (All times PST):
>
> *Sunday or Monday morning Thunderbird 1.0 Release build certified and
> announced to n.p.m.l10n.
> *Monday night into Tuesday morning localized versions and the en-US
> Thunderbird 1.0 will be made available on FTP.
> *Tuesday morning, 9am, the official 1.0 press releases happen.
> *(tentative) Friday morning, 9am , CD certification begins and chase
> needs to have all localized builds that will be included on the CD.

You all have made amazing progress in the last couple of days. We're up
to 12 Thunderbird 1.0 localizations!! That's really amazing. Thanks for
all of your hard work and the very swift turnaround time. Sarah, and
Chase and I have had a busy day keeping up with all these great
contributions :-)

We're trying to get a feel for how much more we'll have for the CD. If
you're still working on a localization or additional platforms for your
localization, can you please comment here and let us know what you're
working on and when you expect to be done?

Thanks. And thanks for a great 2 days of localizing!

--Asa

Marcelo Poli

unread,
Dec 7, 2004, 7:49:59 PM12/7/04
to

Asa Dotzler wrote:


> Asa Dotzler wrote:
>
>
> We're trying to get a feel for how much more we'll have for the CD. If
> you're still working on a localization or additional platforms for your
> localization, can you please comment here and let us know what you're
> working on and when you expect to be done?

Es-AR localization will be finished maybe Thursday night or Friday
morning. There's a holiday in between that's delaying some things, but
we'll be releasing Windows and Linux installers in time.

Scott MacGregor

unread,
Dec 8, 2004, 3:21:37 AM12/8/04
to
Asa Dotzler wrote:
> Asa Dotzler wrote:
>
> You all have made amazing progress in the last couple of days. We're up
> to 12 Thunderbird 1.0 localizations!! That's really amazing. Thanks for
> all of your hard work and the very swift turnaround time. Sarah, and
> Chase and I have had a busy day keeping up with all these great
> contributions :-)
>
> We're trying to get a feel for how much more we'll have for the CD. If
> you're still working on a localization or additional platforms for your
> localization, can you please comment here and let us know what you're
> working on and when you expect to be done?
>
> Thanks. And thanks for a great 2 days of localizing!
>
> --Asa

I just wanted to re-iterate Asa's thank you for all of the localizations
that have come out for Thunderbird 1.0 already this week! This has to be
the fastest turn around we've ever had for localizations for a
Thunderbird release!

Very Cool!

-Scott

mscott.vcf

BID Wen ShaoHua

unread,
Dec 8, 2004, 3:33:47 AM12/8/04
to


Chinese Simplified thinderbird 1.0 is already done.
I just need a internet connection to upload to the ftp server.(because I can only download files)
I suppose that It could be done before Friday and I will send another mail to the list.

btw:I am sorry that I am not using thunderbird to send this mail.because Thunderbird does not support
MS Exchange server yet and the IMAP or pop3 are closed by our administrator.

Regards,
Holy

-----原始邮件-----
发件人: mozilla-l...@mozilla.org [mailto:mozilla-l...@mozilla.org]代表 Asa Dotzler
发送时间: 2004年12月8日 8:32
收件人: mozill...@mozilla.org
抄送: mlp-...@mozilla.org
主题: Localized Thunderbird 1.0 status


Asa Dotzler wrote:
> This document outlines the plans and steps for getting localized
> Thunderbird 1.0 builds included in the Thunderbird 1.0 official release
> directory on FTP and getting onto the 1.0 CD.
>
> The schedule (All times PST):
>
> *Sunday or Monday morning Thunderbird 1.0 Release build certified and
> announced to n.p.m.l10n.
> *Monday night into Tuesday morning localized versions and the en-US
> Thunderbird 1.0 will be made available on FTP.
> *Tuesday morning, 9am, the official 1.0 press releases happen.
> *(tentative) Friday morning, 9am , CD certification begins and chase
> needs to have all localized builds that will be included on the CD.

You all have made amazing progress in the last couple of days. We're up

to 12 Thunderbird 1.0 localizations!! That's really amazing. Thanks for
all of your hard work and the very swift turnaround time. Sarah, and
Chase and I have had a busy day keeping up with all these great
contributions :-)

We're trying to get a feel for how much more we'll have for the CD. If
you're still working on a localization or additional platforms for your
localization, can you please comment here and let us know what you're
working on and when you expect to be done?

Thanks. And thanks for a great 2 days of localizing!

--Asa
_______________________________________________
mozilla-l10n mailing list
mozill...@mozilla.org
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-l10n

Anne van Kesteren

unread,
Dec 8, 2004, 6:18:21 AM12/8/04
to
Asa Dotzler wrote:
> You all have made amazing progress in the last couple of days. We're
> up to 12 Thunderbird 1.0 localizations!! That's really amazing.
> Thanks for all of your hard work and the very swift turnaround time.
> Sarah, and Chase and I have had a busy day keeping up with all these
> great contributions :-)
>
> We're trying to get a feel for how much more we'll have for the CD.
> If you're still working on a localization or additional platforms for
> your localization, can you please comment here and let us know what
> you're working on and when you expect to be done?

nl-NL is working on it. We expect it to be finished tomorrow.


--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>

Mikael Hedberg

unread,
Dec 8, 2004, 6:21:01 AM12/8/04
to
Hi,

The swedish (sv-SE) team is making final tests and expects to release
later tonight (CET).

Regards,
/Mikael Hedberg

BID Wen ShaoHua

unread,
Dec 9, 2004, 8:53:52 AM12/9/04
to
Hi all,
Chinese Simplified thinderbird 1.0 is done.
linux: http://people.linux.net.cn/holywen/thunderbird/thunderbird-1.0-zhCN.tar.gz
win installer: http://people.linux.net.cn/holywen/thunderbird/ThunderbirdSetup-1.0-zhCN.exe
no mac version avaiable for no hardware reason.

changes:
win installer:
-config.ini and setup.ini Fully translated.
- install.js inside mail.xpi changed to let registry key localized
(coherent with config.ini of the installer)
--removed langenus.xpi and deflenus.xpi ,replaced with langzhcn.xpi and deflzhcn.xpi

common:
- all-thunderbird.js inside mail.xpi modified, uilocale to zh-CN
- mailViews.dat translated
- installed-chrome.txt
-removed en-US-mail.jar

Best Regards,
Holy
-----原始邮件-----
发件人: mozilla-l...@mozilla.org
[mailto:mozilla-l...@mozilla.org]代表 BID Wen ShaoHua
发送时间: 2004年12月8日 16:34
收件人: mozill...@mozilla.org
主题: re: Localized Thunderbird 1.0 status

Sarah Liberman

unread,
Dec 9, 2004, 2:04:08 PM12/9/04
to
BID Wen ShaoHua wrote:
> Hi all,
> Chinese Simplified thinderbird 1.0 is done.
> linux: http://people.linux.net.cn/holywen/thunderbird/thunderbird-1.0-zhCN.tar.gz

Hello Wen,

Unfortunately, the Linux Thunderbird zh-CN build crashed for me upon
startup. I'm testing on Linux Fedora Core 2.

I filed a bug for this issue:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=273936

Thanks,
-sarah

Besnik Bleta

unread,
Dec 19, 2004, 11:46:35 AM12/19/04
to
Hi,

Could someone register my name for the translation of Thunderbird in
Albanian (sq-Al)? I have almost finished it and I'll have to commit it soon.

besnik

Mad Maks

unread,
Dec 20, 2004, 4:08:39 AM12/20/04
to Besnik Bleta
Besnik Bleta schreef:

For the Mozilla suite and Thunderbird, please send the MLP-Staff the
information needed for the contributors table, see
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/l10n/mlp_howto.html#registration

send it to mlp-...@mozilla.org

Greetings

Mad Maks

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages