Gmail problem with Thunderbird

KenK

Feb 16, 2019, 11:54:00 AM2/16/19
Gmail keeps returning T-bird messages. Tried two Gmail locations (one mine,
the other my sister) so not Gmail setting. Can't find an email support
address for Mozilla. One clue from Mozilla says T-bird version should be 38
or newer to work with Gmail. My T-bird says it is 2 and when I check for
updates says none available. I just DLed and started using this one less
than a year ago. Up till a week or two ago it worked fine with Gmail.

I guess I'll have to replace T-bird with another enmail ap.

Any suggestions to make it work or what to replace it with?

TIA

J.O. Aho

Feb 16, 2019, 1:15:56 PM2/16/19
On 2/16/19 5:53 PM, KenK wrote:
> Gmail keeps returning T-bird messages. Tried two Gmail locations (one mine,
> the other my sister) so not Gmail setting. Can't find an email support
> address for Mozilla. One clue from Mozilla says T-bird version should be 38
> or newer to work with Gmail. My T-bird says it is 2 and when I check for
> updates says none available. I just DLed and started using this one less
> than a year ago. Up till a week or two ago it worked fine with Gmail.

Nowadays you need to give permission to clients to use gmail services,
so for this reason older versions of Thunderbird will not work, with
later versions you will get a popup which allows you to login to your
gmail account and give thunderbird the permission it needs.

If your thunderbird is version 2, then there is no way for it to get
updates as the server which provided updates for really early versions
of thunderbird is long gone.

The correct location to download thunderbird is
https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/ unless you use Linux, then you can
install thunderbird directly from your distributions main repository

Uninstall the version you have installed, download the latest version
and use it. Not sure if it does work on your ms-windows-xp.

> I guess I'll have to replace T-bird with another enmail ap.
> Any suggestions to make it work or what to replace it with?

Not much out there that can compete with Thunderbird nowadays, as most
people seems to think web-based access to mail is the way to go.

--

//Aho