The Many Faces (And Names) of Mozilla

Ant

Jan 19, 2018, 11:27:08 PM1/19/18
http://thehistoryoftheweb.com/many-faces-names-mozilla/
--
"People are not ants or bees. We do not reason or love or live or die
collectively." --P. J. O'Rourke
this signature correctly.
/\___/\ Ant(Dude) @ Personal Web Site http://antfarm.ma.cx
/ /\ /\ \
| |o o| | If crediting, then use Ant nickname and URL/link.
\ _ / Axe ANT from its address if e-mailing privately.
( )

Ed Mullen

Jan 20, 2018, 11:20:26 AM1/20/18
On 1/19/2018 at 11:27 PM, Ant created this epitome of digital genius:
> http://thehistoryoftheweb.com/many-faces-names-mozilla/

Thanks! Some great reading.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Ant

Jan 20, 2018, 7:29:14 PM1/20/18
On 1/20/2018 12:26 PM, Michael Gordon wrote:
> That was a time of very interesting history, the Netscape Navigator, to
> Netscape Communicator, to Mozilla Suite, and the split into three
> related offspring, Thunderbird, and Firefox.  I began my Internet
> experience with Netscape Navigator.
>
> Along the way we had a great deal of fun with the Communicator series
> with very vivid e-mail exchanges, see the attachment for an example.

I started with Netscape v2 IIRC when I was in college. :)
--
"Lay a stick of bubble gum on an anthill for instant Siamese Ant Twins."
--unknown

Michael Gordon

Jan 20, 2018, 8:10:04 PM1/20/18
On 1/20/2018 4:29 PM, Ant wrote:
> On 1/20/2018 12:26 PM, Michael Gordon wrote:
>> That was a time of very interesting history, the Netscape Navigator,
>> to Netscape Communicator, to Mozilla Suite, and the split into three
>> related offspring, Thunderbird, and Firefox. I began my Internet
>> experience with Netscape Navigator.
>>
>> Along the way we had a great deal of fun with the Communicator series
>> with very vivid e-mail exchanges, see the attachment for an example.
>
> I started with Netscape v2 IIRC when I was in college. :)

Hello Ant,

Were you able to view the graphic?

Daniel

Jan 21, 2018, 3:15:25 AM1/21/18
Ant wrote:
> On 1/20/2018 12:26 PM, Michael Gordon wrote:
>> That was a time of very interesting history, the Netscape Navigator,
>> to Netscape Communicator, to Mozilla Suite, and the split into three
>> related offspring, Thunderbird, and Firefox.  I began my Internet
>> experience with Netscape Navigator.
>>
>> Along the way we had a great deal of fun with the Communicator series
>> with very vivid e-mail exchanges, see the attachment for an example.
>
> I started with Netscape v2 IIRC when I was in college. :)

You late comer, Ant. When I signed up with my ISP (about 1996), he gave
me a copy of NN 0.9!

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

Wolf K

Jan 21, 2018, 8:21:28 AM1/21/18
On 2018-01-20 19:29, Ant wrote:
> On 1/20/2018 12:26 PM, Michael Gordon wrote:
>> That was a time of very interesting history, the Netscape Navigator,
>> to Netscape Communicator, to Mozilla Suite, and the split into three
>> related offspring, Thunderbird, and Firefox.  I began my Internet
>> experience with Netscape Navigator.
>>
>> Along the way we had a great deal of fun with the Communicator series
>> with very vivid e-mail exchanges, see the attachment for an example.
>
> I started with Netscape v2 IIRC when I was in college. :)

My first browser was Mosaic. before that, I did a bit of Kermiting on a
friend's computer. Another friend set up a BBS locally, but I didn't do
BBS for some reason.

People who kvetch about browsers should be forced to go back to
pre-browser times, just to get an idea of how good they have it.
--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com

Ed Mullen

Jan 21, 2018, 1:30:45 PM1/21/18
On 1/20/2018 at 3:26 PM, Michael Gordon created this epitome of digital
genius:
> On 1/20/2018 8:20 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>> On 1/19/2018 at 11:27 PM, Ant created this epitome of digital genius:
>>> http://thehistoryoftheweb.com/many-faces-names-mozilla/
>>
>> Thanks!  Some great reading.
>>
> Hello Ed,
>
> That was a time of very interesting history, the Netscape Navigator, to
> Netscape Communicator, to Mozilla Suite, and the split into three
> related offspring, Thunderbird, and Firefox.  I began my Internet
> experience with Netscape Navigator.
>
> Along the way we had a great deal of fun with the Communicator series
> with very vivid e-mail exchanges, see the attachment for an example.
>
> MichaelG

LOL.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

The Real Bev

Jan 21, 2018, 1:37:42 PM1/21/18
On 01/21/2018 12:15 AM, Daniel wrote:
> Ant wrote:
>> On 1/20/2018 12:26 PM, Michael Gordon wrote:
>>> That was a time of very interesting history, the Netscape Navigator,
>>> to Netscape Communicator, to Mozilla Suite, and the split into three
>>> related offspring, Thunderbird, and Firefox. I began my Internet
>>> experience with Netscape Navigator.
>>>
>>> Along the way we had a great deal of fun with the Communicator series
>>> with very vivid e-mail exchanges, see the attachment for an example.
>>
>> I started with Netscape v2 IIRC when I was in college. :)
>
> You late comer, Ant. When I signed up with my ISP (about 1996), he gave
> me a copy of NN 0.9!

1994, and I had to download it myself using Mosaic!

--
Cheers, Bev
If god had wanted me to bend over he would

Daniel

Jan 22, 2018, 3:19:36 AM1/22/18
Wolf K wrote:

<Snip>

> People who kvetch about browsers should be forced to go back to
> pre-browser times, just to get an idea of how good they have it.

For me it's people who bitch about how slow their current-day computers
are!! Try an 8086 CPU with a 4.7 MHz (yes, MHz) clock!! Or an Apple IIE
clone!

Switch on your computer, go make yourself a cup of Tea and then go out
to Dinner and come back and the computer might have booted ... well,
almost!! ;-)

Ed Mullen

Jan 22, 2018, 3:39:28 AM1/22/18
On 1/22/2018 at 3:19 AM, Daniel created this epitome of digital genius:
> Wolf K wrote:
>
> <Snip>
>
>> People who kvetch about browsers should be forced to go back to
>> pre-browser times, just to get an idea of how good they have it.
>
> For me it's people who bitch about how slow their current-day computers
> are!! Try an 8086 CPU with a 4.7 MHz (yes, MHz) clock!! Or an Apple IIE
> clone!
>
> Switch on your computer, go make yourself a cup of Tea and then go out
> to Dinner and come back and the computer might have booted ... well,
> almost!! ;-)

Well, let's go more extreme. When, if you wanted to look something up
you had to (gasp!) go to a library! Or, if you were lucky enough to have
a current encyclopedia in your house, open a big book and search for it.

I must admit, there is something comforting about holding a book in
one's lap and flipping through the pages. Almost as if your very
existence is validated by the connection to the written word.

And, your original thought, your quest, well, there it is, found!

Which is great. Until you look at the copyright date of the tome and
it's 1957. Oh. Oops!

Although, it might still be valid. And if not, it could be historically
interesting.

Or we could just Google it.

Sigh. And here we are.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Caver1

Jan 22, 2018, 9:44:16 AM1/22/18
On 01/22/2018 03:19 AM, Daniel wrote:
> Wolf K wrote:
>
> <Snip>
>
>> People who kvetch about browsers should be forced to go back to
>> pre-browser times, just to get an idea of how good they have it.
>
> For me it's people who bitch about how slow their current-day computers
> are!! Try an 8086 CPU with a 4.7 MHz (yes, MHz) clock!! Or an Apple IIE
> clone!
>
> Switch on your computer, go make yourself a cup of Tea and then go out
> to Dinner and come back and the computer might have booted ... well,
> almost!! ;-)

I remember when I got my first computer. It was a Tandy 25MHz. A couple
of my computer geek nephews came over and they couldn't believe how
blazingly fast my computer was.

--
Caver1

Wolf K

Jan 22, 2018, 10:26:25 AM1/22/18
The problem with online searches is that people forget that somebody had
to decide to put it up, and more importantly, also decided how to format
it. This is specially so with statistics, which too often give you
tables or graphs of percentage changes without the base data. That can
be very misleading. Eg, 50% of 100 is much less than 1% of 100,000.

While people know that Google puts up the most popular results first,
that doesn't affect their behaviour much (over 90% of searchers do not
go past the first page). And while there is a lot of data available,
there's also a lot more that's not available.

I find that a paper-book search is often quicker than a google search.
Even Wikipedia searches don't yield the data I want about 20-30% of the
time. Either no article, or buried in several article. My ancient
paper-pedias OTOH

Nevertheless, I do a lot of online searching.

Sigh.

Michael Gordon

Jan 22, 2018, 11:27:44 AM1/22/18
On 1/22/2018 12:19 AM, Daniel wrote:
> Wolf K wrote:
>
> <Snip>
>
>> People who kvetch about browsers should be forced to go back to
>> pre-browser times, just to get an idea of how good they have it.
>
> For me it's people who bitch about how slow their current-day computers
> are!! Try an 8086 CPU with a 4.7 MHz (yes, MHz) clock!! Or an Apple IIE
> clone!
>
> Switch on your computer, go make yourself a cup of Tea and then go out
> to Dinner and come back and the computer might have booted ... well,
> almost!! ;-)

I find it very interesting, that an old cliche, 'What goes around comes
around'; is now coming back to the kids in a big way.

Anybody around here recall a tiny network named ARPANET?
With ARPA we used a keyboard, UNIX clone, an 8086 12 port multi-user
computer, connected by telephone wire on a military phone system. Our
major means of communication was texting with the keyboard.

Today's kids are texting; just like we did in the '70s, '80s, and '90s.
One difference, they carry their communications device in their hand
with a tiny 4 inch monitor.

From a few years ago:

"In the Beginning, ARPA created the ARPANET.

And the ARPANET was without form and void.

And darkness was upon the deep.

And the spirit of ARPA moved upon the face of the network and ARPA said,
'Let there be a protocol,' and there was a protocol. And ARPA saw that
it was good.

And ARPA said, 'Let there be more protocols,' and it was so. And ARPA
saw that it was good.

And ARPA said, 'Let there be more networks,' and it was so."
~Danny Cohen

The Real Bev

Jan 22, 2018, 12:16:38 PM1/22/18
I miss the library's card catalog. Back when I used to have to write
papers you could browse to find more references to the subject of
interest. At least I think that's the way it worked, but that was a
long time ago. I LIKED rummaging through the drawers.

Doing the same thing via the library's website is way more convenient:
Look for a book; ask that it be sent to the library up the street from
wherever it is now; or perhaps ask that it be sent from a distant
library; or perhaps even ask the library to BUY a copy -- which they
might do if you make a good enough argument.

The card catalog was still there last time I went to the main branch
several years ago, but maybe now it's part of the Big Bang Theory set --
or maybe that's the catalog from one of the branch libraries.

Incidentally, they frequently use real Pasadena settings, although the
view out of their apartment window is impossible and is certainly not
located on Los Robles. The views out the car windows look familiar
(I've lived here for 56 years) but I've only been able to identify ONE
-- where they parked once. I did find the building on the roof of which
Bernadette and Howard were married.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Sure, everyone's in favor of saving Hitler's brain, but when

Daniel

Jan 23, 2018, 3:44:13 AM1/23/18
Ed Mullen wrote:
> On 1/22/2018 at 3:19 AM, Daniel created this epitome of digital genius:
>> Wolf K wrote:
>>
>> <Snip>
>>
>>> People who kvetch about browsers should be forced to go back to
>>> pre-browser times, just to get an idea of how good they have it.
>>
>> For me it's people who bitch about how slow their current-day
>> computers are!! Try an 8086 CPU with a 4.7 MHz (yes, MHz) clock!! Or
>> an Apple IIE clone!
>>
>> Switch on your computer, go make yourself a cup of Tea and then go out
>> to Dinner and come back and the computer might have booted ... well,
>> almost!! ;-)
>>

> Well, let's go more extreme.  When, if you wanted to look something up
> you had to (gasp!) go to a library!

Sorry, Ed, the library is closed from about 5:00-5:30p.m., and I usually
don't come on-line until about 7:00p.m.!! ;-P

Daniel

Jan 23, 2018, 3:44:56 AM1/23/18
You show off!! ;-)

Ant

Jan 23, 2018, 2:15:51 PM1/23/18
Yep. Old school. ;)
--
"I am always shocked that there are still a handful of defenders of the
dubious practice of abstinence, surely the worst idea since

Ant

Jan 23, 2018, 2:16:26 PM1/23/18
On 1/21/2018 12:15 AM, Daniel wrote:
> Ant wrote:
>> On 1/20/2018 12:26 PM, Michael Gordon wrote:
>>> That was a time of very interesting history, the Netscape Navigator,
>>> to Netscape Communicator, to Mozilla Suite, and the split into three
>>> related offspring, Thunderbird, and Firefox.  I began my Internet
>>> experience with Netscape Navigator.
>>>
>>> Along the way we had a great deal of fun with the Communicator series
>>> with very vivid e-mail exchanges, see the attachment for an example.
>>
>> I started with Netscape v2 IIRC when I was in college. :)
>
> You late comer, Ant. When I signed up with my ISP (about 1996), he gave
> me a copy of NN 0.9!

You know. I might have used v0.9 briefly in Azusa Pacific University's
Computer Science's UNIX lab PC.
--
"Maybe it's like an ant hive..." "Bees man, bees have hives." "You know
what I mean. It's like one female that runs the whole show." "Yes, the

Ant

Jan 23, 2018, 2:19:11 PM1/23/18
Ahh, the old days of computing.
http://zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/toys.html for my past. :P

Did you watch last week's Young Sheldon S1E12? It had Tandy PC from
Radio Shack. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYr3l6rLffc for the
episode's beginning.
http://www.cbs.com/shows/young-sheldon/video/S_ft1wDeyvydHoQMizE7iablVG6DDoe6/young-sheldon-a-computer-a-plastic-pony-and-a-case-of-beer/
for the whole episode. ;)
--
"To conquer the world, we must be as meticulous and calculating as a
colony of ants on the march." --Julius Caesar

Ant

Jan 23, 2018, 2:19:33 PM1/23/18

How about me? http://zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/toys.html :P
--
"Do not kill ants. They are your best friends." --Joe Brainard

Caver1

Jan 23, 2018, 3:25:20 PM1/23/18
On 01/23/2018 02:30 PM, Michael Gordon wrote:

>>> You show off!! ;-)
>>
>> How about me? http://zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/toys.html :P
>
> Well, now that we have covered the electron computing devices, lets look
> at an older version of the Home Computer.
>
> See attachment.

Well I didn't go that far back. But for sure the slide rule. :)

--
Caver1

Ant

Jan 23, 2018, 3:44:21 PM1/23/18
On 1/23/2018 11:30 AM, Michael Gordon wrote:

>>> You show off!! ;-)
>>
>> How about me? http://zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/toys.html :P
>
> Well, now that we have covered the electron computing devices, lets look
> at an older version of the Home Computer.
>
> See attachment.

You used that? :P
--
"Ants can live together in solidarity and forget themselves in the
community. In a normative capitalist society, everyone is an egoist. In

Michael Gordon

Jan 23, 2018, 6:48:38 PM1/23/18
On 1/23/2018 12:44 PM, Ant wrote:
> On 1/23/2018 11:30 AM, Michael Gordon wrote:

>>> How about me? http://zimage.com/~ant/antfarm/about/toys.html :P
>>
>> Well, now that we have covered the electron computing devices, lets
>> look at an older version of the Home Computer.
>>
>> See attachment.
>
> You used that? :P

I fiddled around with it until TI came out with a digital slide rule.
TI allowed us to design and build a class lab project of a 9 transistor
AM radio.

Daniel

Jan 24, 2018, 6:14:58 AM1/24/18
I "fiddled" around with Abacus' as well, literally "fiddled", never knew
the proper method of using them!

Real Slide Rulers, sure, everybody used them, didn't they?? ;-)

Four Figure Log tables, heaps of use!!

First "electronic" Calculator I saw was in the first year of my
Electronics Apprenticeship (1973) when one of the other guys brought one
that could add/subtract/divide/multiply and had *one* memory!! Cost him
$75, which was about a week and a half's pay!!