Dealing with the influx of post-1.0 bugs

David Illsley

Mar 31, 2002, 4:11:33 PM3/31/02
to st...@mozilla.org
Right now we've got far far far too many Unconfirmed bugs and this is
only set to get far-far worse when 1.0 gets released.

Onr of the main reason for the sheer number of Unconfirms building up is
that of people filing dupes and filing bad bug reports which then
require lots of follow up to get the actual information required for
proper triage, let alone information to let the problem be fixed.

From what I can tell one of the main contributing factors of this is
people having problems understanding bugzilla to search for dupes and
that they don't know what information to put in bug reports.

I am therefore proposing, in addition to #mozillazine on irc, a
#bugzillahelper or #bugfiler of something similar to be advertised on
mozilla.org for people who are having problems finding their way around
bugzilla in the immediate post-1.0 period.

Why not just #mozillazine, well 1) lots of other stuff goes on there 2)
it would be nice to have a channel with as much organised coverage as
possible, especially in the immediate slashdot announcement aftermath :-)

In my ever so humble opinion, the problem if the upcoming bug influx
could be major. Its going to slow developers down and its going to hurt
the already horrible looking bug numbers - mangelo can quite easily say
that all the unconfirms are unique bugs and people believe that sort of
thing.

I for one would volunteer to help out people looking for dupes etc but
this would require a concerted effort on behalf of a number of people
and appropriate prominent notice on mozilla.org of the form "While we
welcome all bug reports, if you are unsure how to file a bug, or how to
check if it has already been filed, please, please, please vist
#something on irc.mozilla.org to get help. 5 minutes with a QA type
person now easily beats the time they might have to spend on a poorly
worded bug report or comparing a poor description of a bug with another
to tell if its a dupe."

What do people think? Is there a group of people willing to do this?
Does anyone else have a better suggestion?

David Illsley

Jonas Jørgensen

Mar 31, 2002, 4:51:08 PM3/31/02
David Illsley wrote:
[snip]
> What do people think?

MO [1]: Good idea.

[1] Here meaning the same as IMO but without the I.

> Is there a group of people willing to do this?

I might.

--
"This posting is probably produced by one of my cats stepping on the
keys. No, I don't have an infinite number of cats."

Sören Kuklau

Mar 31, 2002, 5:10:13 PM3/31/02
On 3/31/2002 11:51 PM, Jonas Jørgensen apparently wrote exactly the
following:

> David Illsley wrote:
> [snip]
>> What do people think?

> MO [1]: Good idea.
>
> [1] Here meaning the same as IMO but without the I.

You might want to submit that to [1].

Looks like I should hurry building up my mozilla site along with a neat
"how to use bugzilla" tutorial.

[1]
<http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?acronym=MO&String=exact&page=2>

--
Regards,
Sören Kuklau ('Chucker')

Dan Howard

Mar 31, 2002, 5:27:55 PM3/31/02
I'm not sure of what you have in mind from a functional point of view.
What about a simple mailto form on the mozilla.org site, that would
allow people who know they don't know what they're doing to submit a
description of their buggy behavior to a n.p.m.bugs newsgroup. This
would allow an initial screening look at the report by the mozilla
community, and a chance to interact with the filer to narrow down the
bug, prior to filing a report in bugzilla, thus reducing dupes and bad
reports.

Jonas Jørgensen

Mar 31, 2002, 5:31:25 PM3/31/02
Sören Kuklau wrote:
> You might want to submit that to
[...]
> <http://www.acronymfinder.com/af-query.asp?acronym=MO&String=exact&page=2>

I cannot take any site seriously which define FOAD as "/Freak/ Off And
Die". ;o)

dman84

Mar 31, 2002, 6:30:33 PM3/31/02

I think it should the start page could be fixed that way.. to help this
abit.. I found that searching for Dupes is really hard with many of the
unconfirmed bugs are duped against the ones with *specific* technical
problems.. I haven't been doing it much lately and just trying to more
testing.. QA stuff.

-Dman84

dman84

Mar 31, 2002, 6:35:42 PM3/31/02

sounds good.. it would generate a lot of more traffic.. and should be
specifically for that purpose, but as many of the newsgroups are for
helping with bugs already.. It probably would cut down on the # of dupes
if that is what the bugzilla helper summits it to the newsgroup nice and
cleanly.. I've got a project design that could eventually create a new
bug UI interface with that newsgroup..that interacts with bugzilla's
capabilities.

I think many people have there hands tied with helping this problem..
So I think the community could be helpful in this way and would likely
give more brain knowledge in finding them.

-dman84

Jim Gabele

Mar 31, 2002, 7:14:47 PM3/31/02
It would also make it easier for those of us like myself,
who read these newsgroups for knowledge and help but are not
programers, to submit information. My programing experience
goes as far as basic and some assembly that I taught myself
for my old Atari 400 (I'm giving away my age). I'm basically
a hardware person and have been working with electronics for
many years. My son is a programer, but I had to help him to
build his computer.

Christopher S. Charabaruk

Mar 31, 2002, 9:47:10 PM3/31/02

Sören Kuklau wrote:
> Looks like I should hurry building up my mozilla site along with a neat
> "how to use bugzilla" tutorial.

Don't forget to put that up on moz.zope.org too... :P

Chris

Chris Hoess

Apr 1, 2002, 12:18:41 AM4/1/02

As a QA volunteer, this does *not* strike me as a good idea. Like the
device of renaming newsgroups in the hopes of evading trolls or spam, all
it really does is shift the problem to a new location. If there are
eyeballs out there capable of triaging unconfirmed bugs, we should be
encouraging them to go into Bugzilla and do just that, rather than
creating a new piece of infrastructure and splitting the problem across
two different fora.

--
Chris Hoess

dman84

Apr 1, 2002, 6:05:19 AM4/1/02
dman84 wrote:
> Dan Howard wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure of what you have in mind from a functional point of view.
>> What about a simple mailto form on the mozilla.org site, that would
>> allow people who know they don't know what they're doing to submit a
>> description of their buggy behavior to a n.p.m.bugs newsgroup. This
>> would allow an initial screening look at the report by the mozilla
>> community, and a chance to interact with the filer to narrow down the
>> bug, prior to filing a report in bugzilla, thus reducing dupes and bad
>> reports.
>>

> sounds good.. it would generate a lot of more traffic.. and should be
> specifically for that purpose, but as many of the newsgroups are for
> helping with bugs already.. It probably would cut down on the # of dupes
> if that is what the bugzilla helper summits it to the newsgroup nice and
> cleanly.. I've got a project design that could eventually create a new
> bug UI interface with that newsgroup..that interacts with bugzilla's
> capabilities.

Or as Chris noted: my idea was not actually related to having such a
newsgroup... but an app that interfaces with bugzilla..

dman84

Apr 1, 2002, 6:03:14 AM4/1/02

see this info here: I pulled it from this page:

http://www.mozilla.org/community.html

"Report bugs in Bugzilla, not in the Mozilla forums

If you encounter a bug with Mozilla, please take the time to file a
report in Bugzilla about it. Mozilla developers do not all have time to
follow all the Mozilla-related forums on a regular basis, and if you
just post a bug report to a newsgroup or mailing list then it may not
reach anyone who can actually do anything about the bug. By reporting
the bug through Bugzilla you ensure that it will receive a higher level
of attention, and will be tracked along with other bugs. See the bug
writing guidelines for information on how to submit high-quality bug
reports."

sometimes the other way around is more helpful..

-dman84