Any current editor development? Is this group still valid??

1 view

Mark Aitchison

Oct 26, 2009, 6:28:28 PM10/26/09
Not a lot of valid messages here recently, I see. I am interested in the old Netscape
editor (not sure if it is now part of some newer html editor project though). Is there
any life in the old thing?

I see (from a 2001?) webpage (http://www.mozilla.org/editor/):
"The newsgroup for discussing Mozilla editor issues is Netscape.public.Mozilla.editor,
and members of the editor team regularly read and post to that newsgroup."

Is that still true?

FWIW: I have sometimes used the old editor for various reasons, usually when fancier
packages that can product html output make hard-to-hand-edit html. Since then I have
thought of a way that an open-source html editor could be used with specific add-ons to
make tools specifically designed for particular types of user. It would be possible to
give someone (for example) creating an organisation's newsletter, or a company's product
list, a tool that does that job faster than a general-purpose WYSIWYG editor, but also
one that will be certain to produce html documents that conform to certain readability
controls, and with optional add-ons that make, for example, the company's product list
able to interface to a database. Just as a developer of an add-on for a browser could
produce something that many people could use, the people who make the zillions of
low-cost (but valuable) pieces of web content could benefit from add-ons that address
specific needs; things most people would not be likely to add to their small website
themselves because of limited knowledge or time, yet would leap at the chance to get it
from a simple editor add-on. Of course, this need not be limited to html content, but
that is where I would like to begin. The concept of making tailored editors (using an
amalgam of add-ons) for very specific users is quite a good idea, I think.

However, it does require the underlying open-source project to have some "critical mass"
of support to get going, I think. Hence my question to see if many people do still take
an interest in this groups (and, by implication, the code).

Thanks,
Mark Aitchison, Christchurch, New Zealand.

AlainF

Oct 28, 2009, 9:33:17 AM10/28/09
Well I have read that Kompozer will be intergrated in Seamonkey 2.1.

Will see

Alain

Kazé

Nov 1, 2009, 5:37:24 PM11/1/09
Yes, the next branch of KompoZer is to be developed with SeaMonkey
2.1.
About the Composer, there should be a little more activity on
mozilla.dev.apps.seamonkey and mozilla.dev.tech.editor.

-- kazé, KompoZer lead dev.