Firefox "Account"?

J. P. Gilliver (John)

Apr 7, 2021, 8:37:07 AM4/7/21
I've been asked, by an 82 (I think) year old lady I support, this:
---
please can you advise me? I have been asked by my Firefox Browser if I
want to create a Firefox Account and sign in with my email address? I
don't need to, it says, but if I sign in then Firefox can protect the
privacy of my on line life better. Is it a good idea? Is it free? So
far, I have NOT signed into anything! I don't want to pay as it seems
OK now but if free and if it makes online life safer, then maybe a good
idea?
---
First I've heard of it, but I use a very old Firefox; I think hers is
set to auto-update.

Is this something that's only happened with a recent version? (If not,
why has she only been asked now? She's been using Firefox for years.)

Are the claims valid? I can't see how having any sort of account can
"protect privacy", but I imagine there's some obscure sense (which may
well not apply to her) in which the claim is true.

"If even one person" arguments allow the perfect to become the enemy of the
good, and thus they tend to cause more harm than good.
- Jimmy Akins quoted by Scott Adams, 2015-5-5

WaltS48

Apr 7, 2021, 9:14:56 AM4/7/21
On 4/7/21 8:34 AM, J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
> I've been asked, by an 82 (I think) year old lady I support, this:
> ---
> please can you advise me?  I have been asked by my Firefox Browser
if
> I want to create a Firefox Account and sign in with my email address?
> I don't need to, it says, but if I sign in then Firefox can protect
> the privacy of my on line life better.  Is it a good idea? Is it
> free?  So far, I have NOT signed into anything!  I don't want
to pay
> as it seems OK now but if free and if it makes online life safer, then
> maybe a good idea?
> ---
> First I've heard of it, but I use a very old Firefox; I think hers is
> set to auto-update.
>
> Is this something that's only happened with a recent version? (If not,
> why has she only been asked now? She's been using Firefox for years.)
>
> Are the claims valid? I can't see how having any sort of account can
> "protect privacy", but I imagine there's some obscure sense (which may
> well not apply to her) in which the claim is true.

See: https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/accounts/

Dave Royal

Apr 7, 2021, 10:08:13 AM4/7/21
In alt.comp.software.firefox "J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:
> I've been asked, by an 82 (I think) year old lady I support, this:
> ---
> please can you advise me? I have been asked by my Firefox Browser if I
> want to create a Firefox Account and sign in with my email address? I
> don't need to, it says, but if I sign in then Firefox can protect the
> privacy of my on line life better. Is it a good idea? Is it free? So
> far, I have NOT signed into anything! I don't want to pay as it seems
> OK now but if free and if it makes online life safer, then maybe a good
> idea?
> ---
> First I've heard of it, but I use a very old Firefox; I think hers is
> set to auto-update.
>
> Is this something that's only happened with a recent version? (If not,
> why has she only been asked now? She's been using Firefox for years.)
>
> Are the claims valid? I can't see how having any sort of account can
> "protect privacy", but I imagine there's some obscure sense (which may
> well not apply to her) in which the claim is true.

It's very useful if you have more than one device, then you can sync
bookmarks, tabs, etc, and send tabs to another device (which I do more
and more.)

The 'protect privacy' claims are probably referring to Lockwise. I don't
use it but many respected secutity folk (Krebs or Schneier for example)
recommend them - the alternative is often weak passwords.
Whether it's appropriate for this person, and whether
Lockwise is a good choice, I don't know.
--
(Remove numerics from email address)

Andy Burns

Apr 7, 2021, 10:35:58 AM4/7/21
J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:

> I've been asked, by an 82 (I think) year old lady I support, this:
> ---
> please can you advise me?  I have been asked by my Firefox Browser if I
> want to create a Firefox Account
As others have said, it's helpful if you have multiple devices running
firefox, keep bookmarks and/or passwords in sync.

If she isn't using a password manager, probably worth it for that to
encourage better passwords without the worry of remembering them all or
writing them down. I happen to use a different password manager, so
don't use firefox's own.

It can monitor 'pwned' sites for accounts that match those stored in the
account, and warn you.

The Real Bev

Apr 7, 2021, 11:44:11 AM4/7/21
On 04/07/2021 07:35 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
> J. P. Gilliver (John) wrote:
>
>> I've been asked, by an 82 (I think) year old lady I support, this:
>> ---
>> please can you advise me? I have been asked by my Firefox Browser if I
>> want to create a Firefox Account
> As others have said, it's helpful if you have multiple devices running
> firefox, keep bookmarks and/or passwords in sync.

All things considered, I don't want my devices sync'd EVER and I prefer
to remain anonymous when possible.

> If she isn't using a password manager, probably worth it for that to
> encourage better passwords without the worry of remembering them all or
> writing them down. I happen to use a different password manager, so
> don't use firefox's own.

I use whatever firefox offers (I like the OLD password display a lot
better than the recent one) plus a humongous and confusing text file
Just In Case.

> It can monitor 'pwned' sites for accounts that match those stored in the
> account, and warn you.

BTW, has everybody been getting spam about derogatory information they
found about you? The most recent one offered information about people I
know, including a friend from high school whom I once tried to find. I
understand the others, but that one is absolutely mystifying.

I hear the 'Reputation Defender' commercial in the background several
times a day. The jerk who says "That's so FALSE!" is clearly lying his
ass off. Is that by intent ("We can fix even the REAL stuff!, subscribe
NOW") or just incompetent acting?

--
Cheers, Bev
Please hassle me, I thrive on stress.

WaltS48

Apr 7, 2021, 11:50:35 AM4/7/21
Not yet.

Maybe, because I don't use a real email address here, or it may be you
were one of the Facebook breach victims.

Sailfish

Apr 7, 2021, 12:45:15 PM4/7/21
4/7/2021 8:44 AM:

> BTW, has everybody been getting spam about derogatory information they
> found about you? The most recent one offered information about people I
> know, including a friend from high school whom I once tried to find. I
> understand the others, but that one is absolutely mystifying.
>
> I hear the 'Reputation Defender' commercial in the background several
> times a day. The jerk who says "That's so FALSE!" is clearly lying his
> ass off. Is that by intent ("We can fix even the REAL stuff!, subscribe
> NOW") or just incompetent acting?

I had received a slew of those messages about 6 months back demanding
payment in Bitcoins or they'd spill the beans all over social media. I
suspect they hacked that password from an anime site or some other site
with loose safeguards. Each message came from different sources but with
the same script letter like message. In my case, it was a throw-away
password I use on sites I don't care if they crack so I ignored the spam
and, eventually, they stopped coming.

Good luck

--
Sailfish
CDC Covid19 Trends: https://www.facebook.com/groups/624208354841034

Andy Burns

Apr 7, 2021, 12:59:51 PM4/7/21
The Real Bev wrote:

> has everybody been getting spam about derogatory information they found
> about you?

Doesn't sound familiar, still getting autoresponder stuff based on posts
in moz.general.

The Real Bev

Apr 7, 2021, 4:53:26 PM4/7/21
I chose to use a real address. Gmail takes care of most of the spam and
I see no reason why people in the usenet groups I read shouldn't be able
to email me if they want to. They would have had to have seen my FB
search history for that, but there were other old HS people I also
searched for, as well as former cow-orkers. Today's offering: 4
questionable references, 12 people looking at my history and a couple of
other things. It's almost worth joining (or maybe taking them up on a
free offer) just to see WTF they're talking about. Aside from being
racist because I'm white, of course...

--
Cheers, Bev
"We're from the Government. We're here to help."

Chris Green

Apr 7, 2021, 5:33:03 PM4/7/21
The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Maybe, because I don't use a real email address here, or it may be you
> > were one of the Facebook breach victims.
>
> I chose to use a real address. Gmail takes care of most of the spam and
> I see no reason why people in the usenet groups I read shouldn't be able
> to email me if they want to. They would have had to have seen my FB
> search history for that, but there were other old HS people I also
> searched for, as well as former cow-orkers. Today's offering: 4
> questionable references, 12 people looking at my history and a couple of
> other things. It's almost worth joining (or maybe taking them up on a
> free offer) just to see WTF they're talking about. Aside from being
> racist because I'm white, of course...

I've used a real E-Mail address on Usenet for many, many years (since
the 1990s if not before). It's different from my main E-Mail address
so I can see how much it gets used. I receive very little mail to my
Usenet address, probably as many genuine messages as junk E-Mail but
rarely more than one or two a day, if that.

--
Chris Green
·

Ken Blake

Apr 7, 2021, 6:11:59 PM4/7/21
On 4/7/2021 2:28 PM, Chris Green wrote:

> The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I chose to use a real address. Gmail takes care of most of the spam and
>> I see no reason why people in the usenet groups I read shouldn't be able
>> to email me if they want to. They would have had to have seen my FB
>> search history for that, but there were other old HS people I also
>> searched for, as well as former cow-orkers. Today's offering: 4
>> questionable references, 12 people looking at my history and a couple of
>> other things. It's almost worth joining (or maybe taking them up on a
>> free offer) just to see WTF they're talking about. Aside from being
>> racist because I'm white, of course...
>>
> I've used a real E-Mail address on Usenet for many, many years (since
> the 1990s if not before).

I used to use a real address, years ago. I stopped, not because of spam
or junk mail, but because there was an occasional person who always
replied to me both by e-mail and on the newsgroup. Since I normally
check my e-mail before usenet, I often replied to him, rather than to
the group, not realizing that the message was in both places. That was
exactly what I didn't want to do.

If anyone who I respect and trust on usenet asks for my real address, I
normally provide it.

--
Ken

The Real Bev

Apr 7, 2021, 10:44:04 PM4/7/21
I really hated that, and it made me think much less of the poster(s) who
did that. The misguided person who emailed us and the asshole who posted
the same thing get very different responses.

Still, didn't happen very often.

> If anyone who I respect and trust on usenet asks for my real address, I
> normally provide it.

I worry more about NextDoor. You're actually findable, and most of the
people who post there are REALLY stupid and didn't know about the
internet until they bought a smartphone.

--
Cheers, Bev
My house isn't a pigsty, it's an Immunity Enhancement Center.

Jeff Layman

Apr 8, 2021, 4:47:36 AM4/8/21
I still get occasional spam sent to an old email address which has been
invalid for almost 5 years. I say "invalid" because it exists only as a
received address on a mailserver which automatically forwards it to my
current email address. I set it up just before I changed email
suppliers, expecting the old supplier to inactivate the account within a
few months. They never did - all they inactivated was my web access to
the old account, so it will probably be forwarded automatically forever
more! I don't junk it via a TB filter because I have had the odd person
I've lost contact with suddenly find the old address and email me.

It's easy enough to see if it has been forwarded as a Ctrl-U and a
search for the old email address will soon expose it as forwarded.

> If anyone who I respect and trust on usenet asks for my real address, I
> normally provide it.

I've never had to do that, but I'd not give it as plain text if I had to
- maybe jumbled with instructions how to unjumble it. I could also set
up a temporary address which could be deleted after a few days.

--

Jeff

Sailfish

Apr 8, 2021, 9:46:25 AM4/8/21
4/7/2021 7:44 PM:
+1 and, despite the guidelines against it, bring their politics with
them. The main reason I stopped using it.

Adam H. Kerman

Apr 8, 2021, 10:49:06 AM4/8/21
J. P. Gilliver (John) <G6...@255soft.uk> wrote:

>Newsgroups: alt.comp.software.firefox,netscape.public.mozilla.browser

Mr. Gilliver:

If your intent was to try to revive netscape.public.mozilla.browser,
then please don't crosspost. There's nothing wrong with multiple
newsgroups on the same topic, but if the groups are justified, they each
have to be able to form their own communities of regulars who discuss
specific aspects of the topic as they see fit.

Crossposting prevents separate communities from form and WILL NOT do
anything to revive a long unused newsgroup.

Given that alt.comp.software.firefox was just newgrouped days ago, it's
in a fragile state. We don't know that it will be successful over the
long run. Again: Let it form its own community of users, which
crossposting will interfere with.

Andy Burns sent newgroup messages for three newsgroups. Now, I cannot
tell if he's followed through on what he learned from justification, but
a handful of people have supported the new groups by posting to them. He
was advised that both alt.fan.mozilla and netscape.public.* were old
newsgroups and widely created and it would have been easier to revive
those groups, but he chose to try to get these groups started. That's
fine. The proponent gets to make his own decision.

The least the rest of us can do is not thwart his ability to get the
groups going. Crossposting hurts any efforts he might be making, so
please don't do that.

On the other hand, there is nothing wrong if YOU want to try to get a
new community formed in netscape.public.mozilla.browser, but you'll hurt
your own efforts to do that by crossposting. Just start posting to the
group and invite people to join you in discussion.

Ken Blake

Apr 8, 2021, 11:51:28 AM4/8/21
True, it didn't happen very often to me either, but it happened often
enough that it was an annoyance and I stopped using my real address.

--
Ken

The Real Bev

Apr 8, 2021, 1:31:29 PM4/8/21
On 04/08/2021 06:46 AM, Sailfish wrote:
> My bloviated meandering follows what The Real Bev graced us with on
> 4/7/2021 7:44 PM:
>>
>> I worry more about NextDoor. You're actually findable, and most of the
>> people who post there are REALLY stupid and didn't know about the
>> internet until they bought a smartphone.
>>
> +1 and, despite the guidelines against it, bring their politics with
> them. The main reason I stopped using it.

Heretofore I had assumed that usenet involved a standard cross-section
of the populace. Apparently not, we're clearly at least at the 70th
percentile.

I hadn't realized just how stupid what I assume 'average' people are. I
assume average because they have computers or phones and at least know
how to log in to NextDoor, although many seem to be unaware of the
concept of 'googling'.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Tough? We drink our urine and eat our dead!"

Rich

Apr 8, 2021, 4:18:51 PM4/8/21
In alt.comp.software.firefox The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 04/08/2021 06:46 AM, Sailfish wrote:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what The Real Bev graced us with on
>> 4/7/2021 7:44 PM:
>>>
>>> I worry more about NextDoor. You're actually findable, and most of the
>>> people who post there are REALLY stupid and didn't know about the
>>> internet until they bought a smartphone.
>>>
>> +1 and, despite the guidelines against it, bring their politics with
>> them. The main reason I stopped using it.
>
> Heretofore I had assumed that usenet involved a standard cross-section
> of the populace. Apparently not, we're clearly at least at the 70th
> percentile.

Usenet is sufficiently difficult to "obtain" now (ignoring the awful
google groups interface) and requires a small level of technical acumen
that is beyond the typical "smart phone user" that those of us still
here are no longer a "standard cross-section of the populace".

> I hadn't realized just how stupid what I assume 'average' people are.
> I assume average because they have computers or phones and at least
> know how to log in to NextDoor, although many seem to be unaware of
> the concept of 'googling'.

You don't really grasp just how little the 'average' person really
knows about tech. (just about any tech.) until you've worked a "help
desk" like role for a bit where you get to see/interact with the
questions that come in.

The median point is exceedingly low on the overall "technical
competence" measurement line.

Ken Blake

Apr 8, 2021, 4:36:57 PM4/8/21
On 4/8/2021 1:18 PM, Rich wrote:

> You don't really grasp just how little the 'average' person really
> knows about tech. (just about any tech.) until you've worked a "help
> desk" like role for a bit where you get to see/interact with the
> questions that come in.

That's a very misleading look at how competent the average person is.
Most people who call a help desk are not average; they are people with
little technical competence who are looking for help.

--
Ken

Sailfish

Apr 8, 2021, 8:09:57 PM4/8/21
4/8/2021 10:31 AM:
In NextDoor, or at least in my neck of the woods, it didn't matter On
almost every neighborhood topic, one person would worm their into
bringing up national politics or cultural politics and then the topic
was forever dead.

I would first nicely mention that Nextdoor wants itself to be a place
for solving neighborhood problems, at the city level and not past the
state level. It didn't matter.

I then tried nicely to mention that if they were hot to discuss a
non-topical item, they should create their own post rather than ruining
another's NextDoor topic. They just accused me of trying to silence them.

I then nicely explained that there were many other social media networks
where they could have a larger reach to spew their political rants like
reddit, FB, twitter and, depending on their predilections, perhaps even
Grindr. It didn't matter.

I then even went the extra mile and cut/pasted the guideline sections,
along with a link to it. It didn''t matter. They called me an OK
Boomer!, Nazi, misogynist and, wait for it ... a racist.

I decided that NextDoor was not a place to waste my time on solving
neighborhood issues.

The Real Bev

Apr 9, 2021, 1:19:58 AM4/9/21
My adult jobs have involved admin functions in tech companies. I never
met anybody, including the janitorial staff, that I would have
considered double-digit IQ. NextDoor is very different :-(

> The median point is exceedingly low on the overall "technical
> competence" measurement line.

--
Cheers, Bev
"There are only two reasons to sit in the back row of an
airplane: Either you have diarrhoea, or you're anxious to
meet people who do." -- Rich Jeni

The Real Bev

Apr 9, 2021, 1:25:43 AM4/9/21
According to the moderator of my local ND, all white people are racists.

> I decided that NextDoor was not a place to waste my time on solving
> neighborhood issues.

The intent is for everyone to be "nice" but it's OK to snarl at people
for not being nice. Any "issues" (when did problems become issues?)
must be no more serious than those one might encounter on a 1950 sitcom.

AnthonyL

Apr 9, 2021, 7:40:46 AM4/9/21
On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 20:18:50 -0000 (UTC), Rich <ri...@example.invalid>
wrote:
I'm on an email list for some legacy email software that's been going
for decades and one might have hoped that the average user there was
tech savvy. We ended up on direct email and I lost the battle to
persuade him he try to understand domain names when he wouldn't accept
that
mcafee-removal-tool.com
is NOT a mcafee site whereas
http://us.mcafee.com/apps/supporttools/mcpr/mcpr.asp
is

His argument being that the former still provided him with the removal
tool!!

I gave up.

Temporarily I have an iPad, hate the thing and a friend who uses one,
asked, in an email, why. I started to list all the things I didn't
like about the iPad and Apple then realise she wouldn't have
understood what I was on about, so I didn't in the end bother.

--
AnthonyL

Why ever wait to finish a job before starting the next?

The Real Bev

Apr 9, 2021, 12:52:19 PM4/9/21
On 04/09/2021 04:40 AM, AnthonyL wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 20:18:50 -0000 (UTC), Rich <ri...@example.invalid>
> wrote:

>>The median point is exceedingly low on the overall "technical
>>competence" measurement line.
> Temporarily I have an iPad, hate the thing and a friend who uses one,
> asked, in an email, why. I started to list all the things I didn't
> like about the iPad and Apple then realise she wouldn't have
> understood what I was on about, so I didn't in the end bother.

Years ago Charter's usenet feed had been down for a couple of days. The
first-line helpdroid didn't know what usenet was, so he transferred me
upward. The highest-level helpdroid thought that usenet was maybe that
satellite thing and they didn't support that. Ultimately I found out
that their usenet service was supplied by something with a name like
'Highwinds' and emailed them. They said I had to contact my ISP.

Ultimately the feed was restored, but by then I had signed up for
individual.net (when it was free) and after that to eternal-september.
No idea if it's still available, I deleted it from my TB account list.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Steve Balmer, CEO of Microsoft[0], recently referred to LINUX as a

AnthonyL

Apr 10, 2021, 7:35:58 AM4/10/21
On Fri, 9 Apr 2021 09:52:16 -0700, The Real Bev <bashl...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On 04/09/2021 04:40 AM, AnthonyL wrote:
>> On Thu, 8 Apr 2021 20:18:50 -0000 (UTC), Rich <ri...@example.invalid>
>> wrote:
>
>>>The median point is exceedingly low on the overall "technical
>>>competence" measurement line.
>> Temporarily I have an iPad, hate the thing and a friend who uses one,
>> asked, in an email, why. I started to list all the things I didn't
>> like about the iPad and Apple then realise she wouldn't have
>> understood what I was on about, so I didn't in the end bother.
>
>Years ago Charter's usenet feed had been down for a couple of days. The
>first-line helpdroid didn't know what usenet was, so he transferred me
>upward.

When BT (back in dial-up days) were trying to get me to sign up to the
new broadband service I asked if they had Newsgroups "Oh yes, you can
get BBC and other news from our connection".

Dave Royal

Apr 10, 2021, 11:46:17 AM4/10/21
"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6...@255soft.uk> Wrote in message:r
> I've been asked, by an 82 (I think) year old lady I support, this:---please can you advise me? I have been asked by my Firefox Browser if I want to create a Firefox Account and sign in with my email address? I don't need to, it says, but if I sign in then Firefox can protect the privacy of my on line life better. Is it a good idea? Is it free? So far, I have NOT signed into anything! I don't want to pay as it seems OK now but if free and if it makes online life safer, then maybe a good idea?---First I've heard of it, but I use a very old Firefox; I think hers is set to auto-update.Is this something that's only happened with a recent version? (If not, why has she only been asked now? She's been using Firefox for years.)Are the claims valid? I can't see how having any sort of account can "protect privacy", but I imagine there's some obscure sense (which may well not apply to her) in which the claim is true.-- J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985 MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf"If even one person" arguments allow the perfect to become the enemy of thegood, and thus they tend to cause more harm than good.- Jimmy Akins quoted by Scott Adams, 2015-5-5

This is test arising from Chris Ramsden's post about
cross-posting. Apologies for the noise.

This no-longer-supported and very-buggy Android newsreader does
not show that the OP is cross-posted. I can see that only from
displaying headers.

Replying as I am now only shows alt.comp.software.firefox. If this
reply also goes to netscape.whatever that's another thing for me
to watch out for.

(It doesn't quote properly, either.)
--
Remove numerics from email address

Ken Blake

Apr 10, 2021, 11:58:14 AM4/10/21
The term "newsgroups" is a very poor one. It doesn't describe whst
newgsroups are and it confuses many people.

--
Ken

Ken Blake

Apr 10, 2021, 11:59:45 AM4/10/21
So why are you using it?

--
Ken

Adam H. Kerman

Apr 10, 2021, 12:05:33 PM4/10/21
Dave Royal <da...@dave123royal.com> wrote:
>"J. P. Gilliver (John)" <G6...@255soft.uk> Wrote in message:r
>> I've been asked, by an 82 (I think) year old lady I support,
>this:---please can you advise me? I have been asked by my Firefox
>Browser if I want to create a Firefox Account and sign in with my email
>address? I don't need to, it says, but if I sign in then Firefox can
>protect the privacy of my on line life better. Is it a good idea? Is it
>free? So far, I have NOT signed into anything! I don't want to pay as
>it seems OK now but if free and if it makes online life safer, then
>maybe a good idea?---First I've heard of it, but I use a very old
>Firefox; I think hers is set to auto-update.Is this something that's
>only happened with a recent version? (If not, why has she only been
>asked now? She's been using Firefox for years.)Are the claims valid? I
>can't see how having any sort of account can "protect privacy", but I
>imagine there's some obscure sense (which may well not apply to her) in
>which the claim is true.-- J. P. Gilliver. UMRA: 1960/<1985
>MB++G()AL-IS-Ch++(p)Ar@T+H+Sh0!:`)DNAf"If even one person" arguments
>allow the perfect to become the enemy of thegood, and thus they tend to
>cause more harm than good.- Jimmy Akins quoted by Scott Adams, 2015-5-5

>This is test arising from Chris Ramsden's post about
> cross-posting. Apologies for the noise.

>This no-longer-supported and very-buggy Android newsreader does
> not show that the OP is cross-posted. I can see that only from
> displaying headers.

I see the Newsgroups header in my newsreader display because it allows
me to specify any header to display.

>Replying as I am now only shows alt.comp.software.firefox. If this
> reply also goes to netscape.whatever that's another thing for me
> to watch out for.

Oh, c'mon. That's default behavior of any newsreader. If the precursor
article was crossposted, then the followup will be crossposted unless
the author changes the crosspost.

>(It doesn't quote properly, either.)

No. It either changed to nonstandard line boundaries or just ignored them.
Dear gawd. It doesn't form a proper paragraph of new text as every
paragraph of yours is hanging.

Adam H. Kerman

Apr 10, 2021, 12:08:46 PM4/10/21
There was a commercial news service called (someone remind me) that took
stories off the wire and uploaded them into newsgroups organized by
topic. That may be what they're talking about.

Ken Blake

Apr 10, 2021, 12:34:21 PM4/10/21
Almost certainly not. They just didn't know what a newsgroup was.

--
Ken

Adam H. Kerman

Apr 10, 2021, 1:03:59 PM4/10/21
Ken Blake <k...@invalidemail.com> wrote:
>On 4/10/2021 9:08 AM, Adam H. Kerman wrote:
>>Ken Blake <k...@invalidemail.com> wrote:

>>>The term "newsgroups" is a very poor one. It doesn't describe whst
>>>newgsroups are and it confuses many people.

>>There was a commercial news service called (someone remind me) that took
>>stories off the wire and uploaded them into newsgroups organized by
>>topic. That may be what they're talking about.

>Almost certainly not. They just didn't know what a newsgroup was.

Perhaps you're right.

clari.*

The clari.net news feed.

The Real Bev

Apr 10, 2021, 8:20:16 PM4/10/21
Makes you feel all special, doesn't it?

The only time I had contact with strangers was on the skilift. I used
to ask my companions if they used usenet. Explanation was always
necessary. Nobody ever did. After a few years I gave up.

This year we talked about coronavirus. Main lift would hold 6 people.
Masks required getting on and off. In 9 days I saw only one lift
containing 6 people. Most just held one or two.

--
Cheers, Bev
"Not everyone can be above average so why

Nomen Nescio

Apr 15, 2021, 7:05:53 AM4/15/21
Sailfish <NIXCAPS...@NIXCAPSunforgettable.com> writes:

> They called me an OK
> Boomer!, Nazi, misogynist and, wait for it ... a racist.

Bald of you was to expect any other outcome.