Netscape 7, Java not working

Dale Start

Sep 17, 2002, 2:29:51 PM9/17/02
Hi all. I'm hoping someone can help me fix a problem with my
Netscape.

When I click on a link which should call Java to open a new window,
nothing happens. No new window, no error, nothing.

I've tried uninstalling Java, and installing the latest version
(j2re-1_4_0_02-windows-i586.exe), but nothing changed.

Here's what's in my about:plugins.

Java Plug-in

File name: NPOJI610.dll
Java Plug-in 1.4.0_02 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)

Mime Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-java-vm Java Virtual Machine for Netscape 6.x Yes

Java Plug-in

File name: NPJava11.dll
Java Plug-in 1.4.0_02 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)

Mime Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.1 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.1 JavaBeans Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1 JavaBeans Yes
application/x-java-applet Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean JavaBeans Yes

Java Plug-in

File name: NPJava12.dll
Java Plug-in 1.4.0_02 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)

Mime Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2 JavaBeans Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.3 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.3 JavaBeans Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.1.2 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.1.2 JavaBeans Yes

Java Plug-in

File name: NPJava13.dll
Java Plug-in 1.4.0_02 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)

Mime Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-java-applet;version=1.3.1 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.3.1 JavaBeans Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.4 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.4 JavaBeans Yes

Java Plug-in

File name: NPJava32.dll
Java Plug-in 1.4.0_02 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)

Mime Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-java-applet;version=1.3 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.3 JavaBeans Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.2 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.2 JavaBeans Yes
application/x-java-applet;version=1.2.1 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;version=1.2.1 JavaBeans Yes

Java Plug-in

File name: NPJPI140_02.dll
Java Plug-in 1.4.0_02 for Netscape Navigator (DLL Helper)

Mime Type Description Suffixes Enabled
application/x-java-applet;jpi-version=1.4.0_02 Java Applet Yes
application/x-java-bean;jpi-version=1.4.0_02 JavaBeans Yes

//user.js:

user_pref("browser.popupdisablingUI.enabled",true);
user_pref("imageblocker.enabled", true);
user_pref("capability.policy.default.Window.open", "noAccess");
user_pref("capability.policy.policynames", "trustable");
user_pref("capability.policy.trustable.sites",
"http://radio.netscape.com");
user_pref("capability.policy.trustable.Window.open", "allAccess");
user_pref("mailnews.fakeaccount.show", false);
user_pref("javascript.options.strict", true);

us...@domain.invalid

Sep 17, 2002, 9:39:45 PM9/17/02
Dale,

I can't fix it, but I can tell you that I'm running into the exact same
issue on multiple sites...

(part of) the source code below on a particular site does absolutely
nothing; i.e. the onclick nor onmouseover methods do anything.

onclick="window.open('20020901a.html', '20020901a',
config='width=635,height=475,left=50,top=50')"
onmouseover="window.status='Foto 1 - 20020901'"...

I'm hoping someone can shed some light on this, since I'm not well
versed in Java at all.

dji.

us...@domain.invalid

Sep 17, 2002, 11:09:22 PM9/17/02

Problem gets even more interesting... the content/layout/colors buttons
don''t work in NS7 on netscape's own MyNetscape site. The
windows&buttons do work in IE (wow that's almost tragic).
Anyone know what we're missing here?

dji

Frank Holland

Sep 18, 2002, 9:52:55 AM9/18/02
On 17 Sep 2002 11:29:51 -0700, dst...@agricoreunited.com (Dale Start) wrote:

>Hi all. I'm hoping someone can help me fix a problem with my
>Netscape.
>
>When I click on a link which should call Java to open a new window,
>nothing happens. No new window, no error, nothing.

[clip]

I am using NS 6.2 and also running into this problem.

HELP!!!!!

Frank D. Holland
Denver Colorado
USA

To change one's self is sufficient.
It's the idiots who want to change the world
who are causing all the trouble.

Debra

Sep 18, 2002, 11:38:50 AM9/18/02
I started using Netscape 7 to avoid the same problem--Java windows not
opening in Explorer 6.0. I was told that Microsoft didn't have a
licensing agreement with Sun who develops Java (and is litigation for
using it previously) and therefore didn't include it in the 6.0 (which
they don't tell you before you download it!). Whatever the problems, the
plug-in for Java are buggy with both programs. IMO. I see this same
complaint on a lot of support boards.

deb
http://members.cox.net/djtwriter

Frank Lawler

Sep 18, 2002, 12:24:46 PM9/18/02
I was having problems with java myself, I went to the following link and
installed manually, restarted and everything works fine for me now. I
don't if this is the same thing you downloaded, buthere is is for what
it's worth.

http://java.sun.com/getjava/download.html

dji

Sep 18, 2002, 11:23:36 PM9/18/02
Got this problem with NS7 finally solved by trial&error.

When I logged on as a different user in XP and (as a result) created a
new profile in NS7, suddenly my JS windows opened up again.

Apparently the profile settings in user.js and prefs.js caused the
problem... likely the pop-up window blocker lines I had added.

I know just put 1 line in user.js:
user_pref("browser.popupdisablingUI.enabled",true);

But I leave the open unrequested windows checked in the NS7 preferences.
Works like a charm.

Dji.

Dale Start

Sep 19, 2002, 10:37:01 AM9/19/02
Taking this lead I poked and prodded with the user.js and prefs.js
until I found the culprit. On http://www.hmetzger.de/etips6.html
there's a tip about enabling control of popups. This "fix" breaks
Netscape Radio, and there's a "fix" for that. It was adding the
following lines to user.js that fixed Radio and broke Java:

user_pref("capability.policy.default.Window.open",
"noAccess");user_pref("capability.policy.policynames",
"trustable");user_pref("capability.policy.trustable.sites",
"http://radio.netscape.com");user_pref("capability.policy.trustable.Window.open",
"allAccess");

I removed them from both user.js and prefs.js and my Java's working
again. And I'll do without Netscape Radio. ;)

Thanks for the lead, Dji.

renuka...@gmail.com

Sep 17, 2013, 6:06:27 AM9/17/13
JAVA online TRAINING: Java is that the basement for several applications that area unit currently leaders within the gift market. it's a growing profession, with large opportunities for promotion and high earnings. Java could be a hot topic in IT business and includes a bright future; java training is a perfect platform for anyone to find out java and continue to expertise a lot of advanced options of this technology. online training institutes created java training a simple task.

Learning online saves time and offers flexibility to all or any World Health Organization wish to find out and upgrade their pc skills. Hiring firms have access to all or any the comes that area unit done by students for java training and java certification, for those that secured smart score and affected in an exceedingly personal interview. online java training is as helpful and provides an equivalent pattern of learning that's followed in ancient room tutorials. increasing your information of java development and connected technologies nowadays with comprehensive, expert-led training from shalom IT college.

Online training pc courses don't seem to be restricted to the essential pc information only; instead folks area unit abundant interested learning through online for the advanced certified courses like Java. The java could be a platform and means of computing principally supported the ability of networks, and also the concept an equivalent code can run in several sets of computers, client gadgets and alternative devices. there's legion institutes provide java online training, however solely a top quality and licensed training is feasible with Shalom IT college. Shalom IT college with large expertise in online training stands firmly in providing online training for various folks all round the world. Well experience training is our expression, and training fee is cheap and 24/7 online support for the learners. Learning Java training offers a natural progression to spice up your career growth.

http://123trainings.com/it-adv-java-online-training.html