Problem: Printing PDF document from a browser using javascript

Ruedi Hofer

Aug 30, 2001, 9:00:14 AM8/30/01

Hi all

We have an application which generates dynamically pdf files on the
server side. This pdf's can be viewed in the browser (which of course
uses the acrobat reader for displaying the contents.)
In a special convenient function I would like to print these docs
directly without poping up an acrobat reader. eg the user presses
simply a button called 'print'.

In the newsgroups I found solutions like this

..
<EMBED name="pdf" SRC="rg.pdf" WIDTH=85 HEIGHT=115>

<script>
window.document.pdf.print();
</script>
..

which DON'T work for me.

Does someone has an idea?

--

Regards, Ruedi Hofer

Jim Ley

Aug 30, 2001, 8:59:51 AM8/30/01
On Thu, 30 Aug 2001 15:00:14 +0200, Ruedi Hofer <r...@ess.ch> wrote:

>Hi all
>
>We have an application which generates dynamically pdf files on the
>server side. This pdf's can be viewed in the browser (which of course
>uses the acrobat reader for displaying the contents.)
>In a special convenient function I would like to print these docs
>directly without poping up an acrobat reader. eg the user presses
>simply a button called 'print'.
>
>In the newsgroups I found solutions like this
>
> ..
> <EMBED name="pdf" SRC="rg.pdf" WIDTH=85 HEIGHT=115>
>
> <script>
> window.document.pdf.print();
> </script>

Yep that was an oldone which relied on Adobe's ActiveX control being
wholly not safe for scripting, and violating basic MS plug-in rules...

on Win32, http://www.meadroid.com/scriptx/ would be a solution
(combined with Neptune from the same site for non IE.)

Jim.
--
FAQ: http://jibbering.com/faq/
Old FAQs: http://jibbering.com/faq/old/