problem with increasing memory size

mitch gart

Jan 23, 2002, 8:00:46 AM1/23/02
I have a problem with memory size increasing over time, in a web page.
I have reduced it to a very small example, see the attached files. An
HTML
page allocates some objects with javascript, then redirects back to
itself.
Over time the size of the browser gets bigger and bigger and eventually
Netscape 4.76 on NT crashes (or NT itself crashes).

Interestingly the problem only seems to occur with frames. If I take
away the
frame the problem goes away.

My page is deliberately allocating a lot of memory, but I thought the
memory was
supposed to be automatically freed by Javascript garbage collection.

Any thoughts on how to get around this problem (which seems to happen
with
Netscape but not with Internet Explorer)? Thanks,

- Mitch
- mgart at netegrity dot com

title.html
jsgc.html