netrek-cow-client on linux mint

18 views
Skip to first unread message

Keith

unread,
Mar 19, 2021, 5:47:31 PM3/19/21
to netrek-forever
this might be a dumb question, but where is the netrekrc file on linux mint for the netrek-cow-client?

Scott Mcleod

unread,
Mar 19, 2021, 6:25:50 PM3/19/21
to netrek-forever
That usually goes in your home directory.  I don't think it creates one for you to start with though.

Scott Mcleod

unread,
Mar 19, 2021, 6:28:48 PM3/19/21
to netrek-forever
Checked real quick and you can find a template to start out with in /usr/share/doc/netrek-client-cow/XTREKRC.example.gz

Jesus Saves

unread,
Mar 19, 2021, 6:52:58 PM3/19/21
to netrek-forever
Copy the netrekrc file to your $HOME directory as .netrekrc (dot_netrekrc)

Virus-free. www.avast.com

--
--
To post send mail here: netrek-...@googlegroups.com
More info: http://groups.google.com/group/netrek-forever/
Nota bene: Please be civil and treat list members with respect.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "netrek-forever" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to netrek-foreve...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/netrek-forever/143767c6-5e69-4a5c-813f-4a435d4bcb0bn%40googlegroups.com.


--

Keith

unread,
Mar 19, 2021, 7:33:49 PM3/19/21
to netrek-forever
thanks for all the help. i'll try to get the example and update it with my old keymap and other minor dashboard preferences. somehow i managed to hold onto my old netrekrc file.

i was working in a cafe on my laptop and a few of the guys here are always playing league of legends. i asked one of the guys if he was pro yet. he said he played the game for 10 years and still sucked at it. made me think of all the years i played netrek and how i still sucked at it, usually relying on my bb tractors for a mutual death.

nice to see there is still an active group for pickup games.

i think i will need to fix some of the window sizes. wish i could fix it to work better on a hd laptop. fortunately, i have a 17" so it isn't too bad. just old eyes.

Keith

unread,
Mar 19, 2021, 7:56:59 PM3/19/21
to netrek-forever
i extracted and copied the example file to $HOME/.netrekrc. it results in the client not running.

anyone have a working netrekrc file for the latest ubuntu linux cow client? how did the windows client become the default client of linux anyway?

all i really want to do is remap the keys. most of us remap det, torp, phaser, tractor/pressor, and warp shortcuts.

On Friday, March 19, 2021 at 6:52:58 PM UTC-4 Zach Uram wrote:

Keith

unread,
Mar 19, 2021, 8:05:50 PM3/19/21
to netrek-forever
never mind, i just created my own just with the changes i wanted. seems to work.

Keith

unread,
Mar 19, 2021, 8:23:49 PM3/19/21
to netrek-forever
i might have to ask....

how do you enable the old style galactic, you know, the one with planet icons like on local? for that matter, old style ship bitmaps?

i would also like to make the main window a little taller and the metaserver window a little taller. the default config of the latest cow client have them cut off at the bottom?

Jesus Saves

unread,
Mar 19, 2021, 8:33:58 PM3/19/21
to netrek-forever
Check out this COW manual. It will explain the options you desire!

Zach

Virus-free. www.avast.com



--

James Cameron

unread,
Mar 19, 2021, 9:23:32 PM3/19/21
to netrek-...@googlegroups.com
interesting, thanks. noted for next time i'm working on it.

https://github.com/quozl/netrek-client-cow/issues/6

it was the other way around; the windows client was derived from the
working unix and linux client. development was then in parallel for a
while. the loudest voices set the defaults.

On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 04:56:59PM -0700, Keith wrote:
> i extracted and copied the example file to $HOME/.netrekrc. it results in the
> client not running.
>
> anyone have a working netrekrc file for the latest ubuntu linux cow client? how
> did the windows client become the default client of linux anyway?
>
> all i really want to do is remap the keys. most of us remap det, torp, phaser,
> tractor/pressor, and warp shortcuts.
>
> On Friday, March 19, 2021 at 6:52:58 PM UTC-4 Zach Uram wrote:
>
> Copy the netrekrc file to your $HOME directory as .netrekrc (dot_netrekrc)
>
> [1][icon] Virus-free. [2]www.avast.com
>
> [3]
>
> On Fri, Mar 19, 2021 at 6:28 PM Scott Mcleod <scott.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Checked real quick and you can find a template to start out with in /
> usr/share/doc/netrek-client-cow/XTREKRC.example.gz
>
> On Friday, March 19, 2021 at 3:25:50 PM UTC-7 Scott Mcleod wrote:
>
> That usually goes in your home directory.  I don't think it creates
> one for you to start with though.
>
> On Friday, March 19, 2021 at 2:47:31 PM UTC-7 wkeith...@gmail.com
> wrote:
>
> this might be a dumb question, but where is the netrekrc file
> on linux mint for the netrek-cow-client?
>
> --
> --
> To post send mail here: netrek-...@googlegroups.com
> More info: [4]http://groups.google.com/group/netrek-forever/
> Nota bene: Please be civil and treat list members with respect.
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "netrek-forever" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to netrek-foreve...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit [5]https://groups.google.com/d
> /msgid/netrek-forever/
> 143767c6-5e69-4a5c-813f-4a435d4bcb0bn%40googlegroups.com.
>
> --
> [6]http://www.fidei.org
>
> --
> --
> To post send mail here: netrek-...@googlegroups.com
> More info: [7]http://groups.google.com/group/netrek-forever/
> Nota bene: Please be civil and treat list members with respect.
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "netrek-forever" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email
> to [8]netrek-foreve...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit [9]https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/
> netrek-forever/cb913c86-263c-44f0-9b55-55cce353f209n%40googlegroups.com.
>
> References:
>
> [1] https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=icon
> [2] https://www.avast.com/sig-email?utm_medium=email&utm_source=link&utm_campaign=sig-email&utm_content=webmail&utm_term=link
> [3] -#m_3247100101147399974_DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2
> [4] http://groups.google.com/group/netrek-forever/
> [5] https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/netrek-forever/143767c6-5e69-4a5c-813f-4a435d4bcb0bn%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer
> [6] http://www.fidei.org/
> [7] http://groups.google.com/group/netrek-forever/
> [8] mailto:netrek-foreve...@googlegroups.com
> [9] https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/netrek-forever/cb913c86-263c-44f0-9b55-55cce353f209n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer


--
James Cameron
https://quozl.linux.org.au/

Keith

unread,
Mar 19, 2021, 9:43:31 PM3/19/21
to netrek-forever
not able to figure out how to use old style graphics on galactic or old style ship graphics.

might be best for me to just fix up another client.

netrek never needed new bitmaps. it just needed basics... to work well out-of-the-box for different resolutions.

Scott Mcleod

unread,
Mar 19, 2021, 10:18:49 PM3/19/21
to netrek-forever
Try this:

forceDisplay: 1

Scott Mcleod

unread,
Mar 19, 2021, 10:22:19 PM3/19/21
to netrek-forever
Keep forgetting they use different formats.  You might be looking for this:

forcemono:        on

Keith

unread,
Mar 19, 2021, 10:58:14 PM3/19/21
to netrek-forever
forcemono just made it b/w. forcedisplay: 0 did make the graphics a little crisper to see.

i have included a screenshot of what it looks like on linuxmint with a full hd laptop with comments to point out the main problems i have with the binary.

i was able to change to use my old keymap and use the old style dashboard and playerlist. however, i was unable to use old style ship bitmaps or use the old style galactic. i think there was a client that would indicate agris with an icon next to the planet that would be nice to have.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages