Java Netrek Client is playable! (At least on Mac)

Darrell Root

Apr 20, 2021, 5:37:55 PM4/20/21
to netrek-...@googlegroups.com, Darrell Root
Netrek-forever,

In 1998, Robert Temple wrote a Java Netrek Client for Java version 1.2.

I’ve updated it so it runs against recent Java virtual machines, and am pleased to report that the Java Netrek Client is now playable (at least on Mac)!

Here’s the GitHub for the source: https://github.com/netrek/JavaNetrek

For the latest release, including a runnable .jar file, go to https://github.com/netrek/JavaNetrek/releases/latest

CPU usage is high.  Number of updates per second seems low.  I may attempt to improve performance.  Being able to resize the window would also be nice!  But having another Netrek Client playable is a major milestone and I wanted to share.

Darrell

Keith Gardner

Apr 20, 2021, 7:16:40 PM4/20/21
to 'Darrell Root' via netrek-forever

nice. almost looks like netrek when it was ran on sun sparcstations. playerlist was usually on the left and messages on right. old-style local planet bitmaps would be good too.

you could make it where the client runs full screen and have predefined resolutions. that would make things easier and prevent problems from clicking outside the window.

To post send mail here: netrek-...@googlegroups.com
More info: http://groups.google.com/group/netrek-forever/
Nota bene: Please be civil and treat list members with respect.

---

Jesus Saves

Apr 20, 2021, 7:31:43 PM4/20/21
to netrek-forever
Very nice! How do we run the JAR file? What software do we need?

Zach

Keith

Apr 20, 2021, 7:54:17 PM4/20/21
to netrek-forever
I was able to successfully run it on Linux Mint. I had to manually install and configure the JRE. Keep working with it. I left comments on github.

Darrell Root

Apr 21, 2021, 12:26:22 AM4/21/21
to netrek-...@googlegroups.com, Darrell Root
Keith: I released v0.9.7 with an updated JTrek.jar built for Java SE 11 (I’m assuming later JRE’s will run it as well).  I also reconfigured JTrek to launch in metaserver mode by default.  https://github.com/netrek/JavaNetrek/releases/latest

Zach: To run java you need a java runtime environment (JRE).  Unfortunately, as of Java 11 Oracle only ships a JRE within the full java Development kit.  The download page is at https://www.oracle.com/java/technologies/javase-downloads.html.    Click either the (stable version) Java SE 11 “JDK Download” or (latest and greatest :-) Java SE 16 “JDK Download” links.

There are third parties that offer JRE’s, but I’m personally nervous installing non-Oracle java stuff, so I’m not going to recommend that (others with more Java experience may).

The other feedback is appreciated, but will require more time for me to attempt to implement.

Darrell

Jesus Saves

Apr 21, 2021, 2:13:04 PM4/21/21
to netrek-forever, Darrell Root