can't find custom mechanism for imported cell template

atk...@gmail.com

Feb 25, 2022, 4:09:34 PM2/25/22
to NetPyNE Q&A forum
I've run into a problem running a relatively large simulation that has several different subdirectories for files.  Mod files are in their own directory, and cell templates are in another directory.  When I try to run the simulation, I get the error "NEURON: xxx is not a MECHANISM"

I've attached a scaled down example that reproduces the error.  If I run nrnivmodl in the top level directory, everything works fine.  However, if I move the resulting x86_64 directory into a subdirectory in the same folder, I get this error:

NEURON: hh3 is not a MECHANISM
 in interneuron.hoc near line 2935
     insert hh3
              ^
        xopen("interneuron.hoc")
      execute1("{xopen("in...")
    load_file("interneuron.hoc")
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Is there some way to tell netpyne to look in that subdirectory for the mechanism files?  Or some other way to globally specify where neuron/netpyne can find mechanism files?  I tried using h.nrn_load_dll(...path...), but wasn't able to get that to work.

Thanks,
Andrew
example.zip

Joe Graham

Feb 26, 2022, 9:39:10 AM2/26/22
to NetPyNE Q&A forum
Hi Andrew,

I haven't looked at your example, because I'm hoping this may help.  Could you try compiling your mod files wherever they're needed?  That is, you don't need to copy the x86_64 directory around, you can run `nrnivmodl path/to/mods` wherever NEURON needs access to the compiled mod files.  Try that and let us know if you're still having problems.

Best wishes,
Joe

atk...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2022, 4:53:22 PM2/28/22
to NetPyNE Q&A forum
Thanks, that took care of it!

Best,
Andrew

Joe Graham

Feb 28, 2022, 10:45:14 PM2/28/22
to NetPyNE Q&A forum
Thank you very much for letting us know!