NOF removing pages

Sheila Hoffman

Nov 5, 2004, 7:49:10 PM11/5/04
I don't know how this has gotten by me until now...but apparently there is
some set of actions that causes NOF to delete pages from the server? I need
to know under what circumstances this happens. It took me quite by surprise
today. It must have something to do with choosing to publish only changed
assets and possibly marking a page as do not publish.

Thanks!
Sheila

Andy Hook at

Nov 5, 2004, 9:13:30 PM11/5/04

Shelia, does it actually delet the pages from the server, or just ignore
them in the site structure ??

Andy

"Sheila Hoffman" <She...@newslettersNOSPAMandmore.net> wrote in message

Sheila Hoffman

Nov 5, 2004, 10:44:04 PM11/5/04
It actually DELETED a page from the server! Yes, Karl, I used to only use my
FTP program but since I've been in 8 everything has FTP'd so well I haven't
had one glitch... UNTIL TODAY! Makes me wonder if I've caused other such
problems w/o catching them! Guess it's back to local pub and external FTP
again. Too bad. I got spoiled with the convenience of direct FTPing. If I
knew for sure when it would behave like this and when not it'd be OK. I
don't see HOW this could be construed as a "feature" in any way, shape or
form!

Thanks and have a great weekend.
Sheila

Karl Strieby [TNO]

Nov 5, 2004, 10:39:06 PM11/5/04

Hi Sheila and Andy,

"Publish Changed Assets Only" in NOF 7.5 and 8 can actually remove
content from the server. This was sold as a feature, but its behaviour
in the wild catches folks by surprise.

Just one more reason why I use a good 3rd party FTP tool to upload files
from the Local Publish area to the server. I don't have to guess at all
about what the results will be. Whatever happens in Local Publish
testing is what happens when viewing the content from the server.

--
Cheers,
Karl Strieby

http://www.k-c-p.com/
See the contacts page

Karl Strieby [TNO]

Nov 5, 2004, 11:18:31 PM11/5/04

Hi Sheila,

I hear your frustration with the unexpected behaviour. I have always
found NOF's publishing features to be too much like "magic" and not
enough like "science". Too much like typing in the dark with mittens on,
and not enough like knowing exactly what will happen when you click on
the Publish button.

For many sites, NOF's magic publishing works fine. When folks have more
advanced needs (like hidden pages to process forms with server side
scripting, etc.) it's just a big gamble what will happen with NOF's
magic publishing.

I had several sites (really ugly ones! <grin>) online before I ever
heard of NOF v3 years ago. So for me, FTP tools (even the command line
ones) are long-familiar friends that I know I can trust without question
as long as I have no waterfowl alignment problems on my end :-).