Google Reader Replacement Requirements

Jock Coats

Mar 14, 2013, 7:11:18 PM3/14/13
to netnews...@googlegroups.com
There have naturally been lots of messages worried about the demise of Google Reader. But I wondered if it might be a good idea to share what we use it for so BlackPixel or whoever might work on this knows what it would be important to replicate if possible.

I rarely if ever actually use Google Reader online. It serves to synch feeds in other apps on different platforms, the most used of which is NetNewsWire on my Mac.

But what I really would miss is that I use it to capture NNW flagged items as favourites in Google Reader which I can then access by an RSS feed of "my Google Reader favourites" to embed links in my blog site to articles I've flagged as interesting elsewhere. If there were an easy-ish way of achieving the same on my own hosted server - like running a Google Reader like service - that both NNW and my blog could be configured to synch with I'd be delighted.

If Feedly can do that and NWW converted to using Feedly that would be fine too, especially with the flagged/favourites thing and a folder structure.
--
Jock Coats